Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 8,722 times

Advertisements

My dad had a little brown bottle of mercury too when I was a kid. I remember the bottle being really heavy. My sister and I would pour little blobs in our hands and let it roll around and if it fell to the floor it would break into a hundred little blobs. I wonder if there are any long term affects, we played with it probably 8 times; my dad was even a science teacher and no one knew it was bad for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurygirl View Post
My dad had a little brown bottle of mercury too when I was a kid. I remember the bottle being really heavy. My sister and I would pour little blobs in our hands and let it roll around and if it fell to the floor it would break into a hundred little blobs. I wonder if there are any long term affects, we played with it probably 8 times; my dad was even a science teacher and no one knew it was bad for us.
Quicksilver is not really dangerous unless you breath it.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Wow, this is wierd, I never ran across anyone else that played with mercury as a child. I am almost 56 and in grade school someone in my class would get mercury out of thermometers and we would keep it in our desk and play with it each day at school like a pet.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
I remember all that also, how heavy the mercury bottles were, how much fun it was playing with it rolling it back and forth, trying to catch it when it dropped, also from broken thermometers (funny how they used to break all the time), rubbing it on pennies and such.

Kids just aren't allowed to have any fun these days.

The tuna thing really sucks though. Wonder why the tuna are affected more than the other fish?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,706 times
My high school chemistry teacher passed mercury around the laboratory for students to see and conduct some lab experiments. As a bonus we handled the stuff with bare hands and got excited when it split into small bits and pieces.

Last edited by initially; 06-18-2009 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: fonts size

Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 8,589 times
I played with mercury also as a kid.. it poured out of the sink in our science lab at hesperia high school (1989-or there about), shortly afterwards I started getting bad migraines and still to this day I get migraines so bad I cannot work, was it caused by the mercury? my friend and I would throw it at eachother and pick it up and play with it. We did this for about two weeks.. I allways passed my migraines off as part of a heart condition I have, but no doctor can confirm the two being related.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 PM

288 posts, read 851,548 times
My 7th grade teacher passed a wine glass around the class with mercury in it, and told us to dip our fingers in it. It was so cool. But, geez. So bad for you. The reason it's in tuna is it gets concentrated the higher you go up the food chain, and tuna are top predators in the ocean. Anyway, I'm more concerned about what I got exposed to in the plant pathology laboratory I worked at in college. Benzene, acetone - even with sterile hoods, blech.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihynes View Post
Anyway, I'm more concerned about what I got exposed to in the plant pathology laboratory I worked at in college. Benzene, acetone - even with sterile hoods, blech.
I suggest you tell your family Dr to test your blood to make sure you don't end up with AML Leukemia. I'd also read about it and learn the symptoms. 14% chance of survival when my dad was diagnosed, I think 4 months to live without treatment.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
Wow! So funny to read these comments. My 7th grade science teacher also passed it around for everyone to handle.

One of my first jobs was as a laboratory assistant in a state OSHA lab. We handled asbestos samples, a lot of different chemicals (benzene, acetone, etc.), all kinds of things. I was terrible at that job (my friends called me Beaker - from the Muppets?). More than once I remember my supervisor running toward me waving her hands and yelling to stop what I was doing as I was contaminating the whole lab. I never thought about long-term effects. Hmmmm. This could explain a lot of things...

Old 07-21-2009, 03:56 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
When I was an adolescent (I'm 53 now)... a friend had a little brown jug that had mercury in it. It was liquid metal, and we would pour it out and watch it separate, we'd pick it up and try to hold it... how stupid! We did this every once in a while.. would that cause any health problems many years down the line?
I'm a couple years older than you and our Science teacher in, I think, 7th grade gave each table of two kids some mercury to play with. Man that was almost as much fun as the Dust Explosion Can. Or the thing that separated hydrogen and oxygen out of water. Don't know if it would cause problems down the road, though.

Dust Explosion Using Corn Starch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness