U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 07-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Location: Austin, TX
16,704 posts, read 40,226,201 times
Reputation: 9147


Originally Posted by initially View Post
My high school chemistry teacher passed mercury around the laboratory for students to see and conduct some lab experiments. As a bonus we handled the stuff with bare hands and got excited when it split into small bits and pieces.
I too had a science teacher in 6th and 7th grade who introduced his students to playing with mercury, rolling it around in our hands, rubbing it on silver coins. Some kids even touched the mercury on the coins with their tongues to feel how smooth and slippery it was. He never suggested there was anything dangerous about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Location: Bergen-Lafayette, JC NJ
80 posts, read 195,181 times
Reputation: 72
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who played with mercury when I was a kid. It was so much fun too : ) We also had those metal screens with the white asbestos center for the iron ring stand that held flasks and beakers above the bunson burners in lab. Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM
7,915 posts, read 13,184,240 times
Reputation: 10018
This thread reminds me of that country song about
drinking from hoses, no seltbelts and all the other things we
survived when we were kids.

Maybe it improved the gene pool since only the tough survived...

I think my mercury games as a kid made me irritable because
when the kids leave a mess in the kitchen it really irritates me.
Also when they talk back.. It all makes sense now

Link to the song "A Different World"
Bucky Covington, A Different World Lyrics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Location: Birmingham
756 posts, read 1,696,336 times
Reputation: 924
I am only in my forties and yet, we played with Mercury.. Had a little glass jar full of the stuff. Rolled it around, licked it - had to... double dare.

I am glad to hear some people say it is the vapors that is cause for concern. That is one less worry I have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 PM
1 posts, read 2,009 times
Reputation: 10
I have M.S. and I too have played with mercury as a child. I googled " I played with mercury as a child" and this came up. I was shocked to see another MS patiant did the same thing! I wonder if there is a connection!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:19 PM
19 posts, read 25,452 times
Reputation: 29
i played with it too.it was so cool.well i am 59 and still just fine.i hope u are too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Location: Terra firma
1,374 posts, read 1,338,924 times
Reputation: 1097
Mercury is the second most toxic naturally occurring substance known to man. It is second only to uranium. It should never be played with and can cause lifelong health problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Location: Newport, Rhode Island
665 posts, read 1,504,551 times
Reputation: 523
All of you people that played with mercury have had health problems and have never thought that they may have had something to do with mercury exposure.

Guess what
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 PM
1 posts, read 521 times
Reputation: 15
I payed with mercury as a child (now 59 years old). And I have mental illness, that I believe was caused by the exposure to mercury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2016, 10:12 AM
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
70,654 posts, read 81,736,744 times
Reputation: 40358
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
When I was an adolescent (I'm 53 now)... a friend had a little brown jug that had mercury in it. It was liquid metal, and we would pour it out and watch it separate, we'd pick it up and try to hold it... how stupid! We did this every once in a while.. would that cause any health problems many years down the line?
you probably also had lead paint on your crib when you were a baby. There are so many things that were thought to be safe when we were growing up I wouldn't lose any sleep over what you did or didn't do 40 plus years ago. I shutter thinking about what I did and what I ate when a kid, about 70 years ago, but I am still here and doing pretty well for an old gal. I also eat tuna; love it as a matter of fact. I notice someone on the post mentioned having MS and wondered if there is a connection: No one has an answer to that but I am sure lots of people with MS can find others that have done something that might connect the two.

Last edited by nmnita; 12-31-2016 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top