U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:24 AM

70,682 posts, read 81,777,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Oh gosh - the x-ray machine at the shoe store! I'd forgotten all about that! And what about those little turtles we all bought at the dime store. Hear they carry salmonella. And then there were the asbestos shingles on the houses.

And not only were there no seatbelts, we'd fight over who got to stand on the "hump" that ran down the middle of the car. The lucky winner stood there and rode the whole way leaning over the back of the front seat.

We rode in the "back back" (what we called it) of the station wagon all the way (800 miles one way) to Florida and back. No seats - we just sat back there on the platform.

How about lawn darts? And Creepy Crawlers? It's amazing that any baby-boomers survived childhood!
Probably older than you: in fact I am sure I am, I can't begin to tell everyone what we did when kids. Does anyone remember playing mumbly peg with a pocket knife or leaving the turkey in the oven for a day or so after Thanksgiving because we there wasn't enough room in the fridge for it or maybe mom making the turkey dressing and stuffing the turkey the night before the big dinner? OH, I could go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 04:36 PM

14,890 posts, read 30,485,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Probably older than you: in fact I am sure I am, I can't begin to tell everyone what we did when kids. Does anyone remember playing mumbly peg with a pocket knife or leaving the turkey in the oven for a day or so after Thanksgiving because we there wasn't enough room in the fridge for it or maybe mom making the turkey dressing and stuffing the turkey the night before the big dinner? OH, I could go on and on.
Yes, and it just goes to prove there is a lot of ridiculous fear mongering about things that are "bad for us" out there. We actually fare better if we expose ourselves to some "danger" like food setting out, etc. Us boomers are probably WAY healthier than Gen X or millenials.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:44 AM

70,682 posts, read 81,777,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, and it just goes to prove there is a lot of ridiculous fear mongering about things that are "bad for us" out there. We actually fare better if we expose ourselves to some "danger" like food setting out, etc. Us boomers are probably WAY healthier than Gen X or millenials.
and we don't have all the latest ailments like the millenials seem to have; our granddaughters are alway being diagonosed with something trendy or maybe they just have names for everything these days.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:09 AM

734 posts, read 1,357,260 times
To those who are having health problems that you now think are from handling Mercury as a child, remember one thing. All chronic diseases are from toxicity & deficiency driven by stress. All your food is poisoned & deficient in vitamins & minerals. Our soils are greatly deficient in nutrients to feed the plants that you eat. If you want to be healthy you must take vitamins & minerals. Do the research.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:49 AM

4,990 posts, read 7,846,628 times
Woah, I've never in my life heard of such a thing as kids/teens playing w/ mercury & I sure never did it either! I remember my mom telling me when I was pretty young that it's dangerous, so I just remembered that ever since then. I had no curiosity to break a thermometer & play w/ it or "see", etc.

I guess the parents of the kids who played w/ it never told you guys not to.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM

9,980 posts, read 13,847,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Woah, I've never in my life heard of such a thing as kids/teens playing w/ mercury & I sure never did it either! I remember my mom telling me when I was pretty young that it's dangerous, so I just remembered that ever since then. I had no curiosity to break a thermometer & play w/ it or "see", etc.

Maybe because our parents didn't know it was dangerous. It's not like there were news stories about it back in the sixties, no PSA, not a part of those goofy movies in health classes, no safety warning on the package, etc.
When it broke it left you with these fascinating, shiny little globules that were fun to play with. I don't think back then it occurred to people that something that was meant to be held in your mouth would contain toxic substances.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:20 AM

15,116 posts, read 12,120,733 times
I remember my auntie painting her new babies second hand cot with lead paint. not only that but she also used the same mattress from another baby. both things are dodgy and no one knew... as Im always preaching teach people causes instead of looking for cures.. telling the public is a start as people wont listen sometimes unless it comes from someone in the knoew like a doctor ... until then it s heads in the sand and they dont believe all the dangers around them.. and things they use daily.. My other aunt painted her bird cage with gloss paint and the poor wee bird died within weeks.... what a crazy family now when I think of it...

Old 03-09-2019, 01:12 PM

8,717 posts, read 5,883,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
My mother often talks about the same thing--as a child they would take the mercury out of broken thermometers and roll it around in their hands. She's in her 60's now and is fine. But there were lots of dangerous things back then--the shoe stores that x-rayed your feet in the shoes to see if they fit also comes to mind as another danger that was not known about.
We did the same thing years ago. Also rubbed Hg into silver dimes and made them really shine

As for the shoe x ray machine, my uncle owned a shoe store and we were always x raying our hands while sibs and cousins looked

Old 03-09-2019, 01:27 PM

8,717 posts, read 5,883,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Never heard about keeping turkey in oven

But, what about laying on back car window ledge to stretch out on a long trip?

Or, tossing crib mattress in back of station wagon for kids to sleep on a trip?

Always carried a Bow Scout knife and played mumblypeg in the schoolyard.

Had cowboys and indians fights with BB guns (I still have the scar over my left eye)

Had bottle rocket fights

Played with M 80s and held ll firecrackers in hand when lighting the fuse

Hitchhiking from Cincy to CA and back.

We were all dumb once (some of us are still dumb today) Or, is ignorance bliss?

Old 03-09-2019, 07:29 PM

19,017 posts, read 18,100,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

You may be talking about a different era. The people who were posting about playing with mercury did it when no one knew it was dangerous. When I used to go to the dentist, he would set a mortar and pestle on the little tray and have you mash it and stir it until it was ready to be used for a filling. I just remember a gray powder and it would make weird little bubbles that would slide around.

If a DENTIST who used mercury every day, didn't know it was dangerous, how would a kid know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness