U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2019, 12:21 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,539 posts, read 16,832,871 times
Reputation: 13303

Advertisements

I remember breaking open a thermometer when I was 11 and playing with it in the bathroom for over an hour one day. I was fascinated! But perhaps because I’m ultra-sensitive or because I was breathing the fumes in the closed environment of the small bathroom, I experienced a lot of health problems from that point and all through my teens and even later. The first thing that happened was that my mild hay fever turned into, at times, a life threatening illness. Everything went crazy in that following year, including me. My normally perky personality went dark and brooding...at 11. Due to this and the constant skin rashes my classmates bullied me with a vengeance and it has taken me years to get over that. I am still extremely sensitive to mold, cats, and wood fires. Was dxed with breast cancer at age 54.

In the last year I also found out that I tested positive for the MTHFR genetic mutation, which means my body doesn’t detox the way it should. That may explain why most seem to “get away with” playing with mercury and others get very ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
56,759 posts, read 39,902,377 times
Reputation: 28673
Just in case anyone didn't know the term "Mad as a Hatter" did come from ill effects suffered by people in the hat making industry which used a compound of mercury, not the pure element.


https://www.history.com/news/where-d...tter-come-from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,115 posts, read 606,688 times
Reputation: 2158
My sister and I both played with the rather large bottle of mercury DDad got who knows where and had on his workshop shelves in the basement. We used to coat coins and take them upstairs to play with. I remember when the coins would eventually turn white later. Why did they do that and where did the shiny mercury go, into the air?


Anyway my sister is 75-ish and I'm almost 70. She is pretty healthy. Me on the other hand had awful allergies (though I had them as a baby before the mercury) and a few years later developed a rather important medical condition I've lived with my whole life. It involved my brain.


Oh, and who remembers the little orange-red bottle of Mercurochrome with the glass applicator? My mom put that on all my raw scrapes and open wounds.



I've read that taking out mercury fillings causes more mercury to get recycled into our bodies and if we have them we're better off leaving them.


Dad used to bring asbestos home from work; we had a chunk of that for a hot pad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:47 AM
 
19,158 posts, read 15,827,477 times
Reputation: 36111
I think we all did that when a thermometer broke. We did worse things, we had what we called “The Mosquito Man” who would come through the neighborhood blowing flumes of poison into the air all summer....we would run and jump on our bikes, riding in and out of the smoke as he drove!

Now I do have some neurological issues, ADD, poor spatial skills, poor memory...it is very possibly due to these things, but probably no way to really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:55 PM
 
1,793 posts, read 873,138 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post

Oh, and who remembers the little orange-red bottle of Mercurochrome with the glass applicator? My mom put that on all my raw scrapes and open wounds.



I've read that taking out mercury fillings causes more mercury to get recycled into our bodies and if we have them we're better off leaving them.

"Generally speaking, methylmercury is the poisonous form which is not the form of mercury found in mercurochrome, thermometers, dental fillings, electrical switches, or vaccines. Mercurochrome contains mercury in a disodium salt form which is considered to be perfectly safe."

Internet Scientific Publications




.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top