U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 01:59 PM

7 posts, read 13,790 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Times New Roman]I had robotic prostatectomy 6 months ago and have some ongoing aftercare issues including lingering incontinence and sexual dysfunction. But, the most important issue for me is a weakened immune system. What I'm learning is all self taught. As far as my surgeon and Urologist were concerned their care involved cutting out the cancer and giving me blue pills. Yes, they saved my life and I'm grateful for that...but I need to get on with my life now. (By the way, the blue pills negatively reacted with my blood pressure meds dropping my blood pressure to dangerous levels resulting in two trips to the ER. So, no more blue pills for me.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The discussion I'm interested in having has to do with lifestyle and nutrition changes to boost my immune system. I'm tired of catching everything that floats past me. I've already cut out alcohol, caffeine and snacks....but that has not made enough of a positive change. Now, I'm starting to get exercise back in my life. What are other people doing to boost their immune system?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks for reading and replying.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]JackMN[/FONT]

Last edited by JackMN; 02-15-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 02:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,322,085 times
Stop eating sugar/grains. There is a lot of evidence to suggest sugar weakens your immune system. You will get the same advice from everyone. Fresh organic fruits/veggies, protein in the form minimally processed meats, and of course fats (olive oil, cocunut oil, avacados, walnuts, fish).

Also look into certain herbs such as Astralagus which has wonderful immune boosting properties. Zinc you may also find very beneficial.

For blood pressure look into Hawthorn Berry as well as high quality fish/krill oils.

If you get a lot of upper respritory ailments you may also consider a nasal wash such as a neti-pot.

For sexual issues try Horny Goat Weed which has been used for centuries in the far east to treat impotence and sexual problems.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:59 PM

7 posts, read 13,790 times
CleanCutHippie,

Thank you. All good suggestions. I already cut out the sugar and processed foods. Organics and supplements is what I'll work on next.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,513,606 times
This is what works for me:

I eliminate red meat .... all dairy ........ all deli food...... all processed foods........... all cookies, cakes, chips, cola, alcoholic beverages, anything with hydrogenated fat. Avoid sugar in any form.

I EAT lots of fresh veggies, fresh fruit, fresh fish, some chicken, some turkey, whole grain breads, egg whites, daily dose of flaxseed oil, extra virgin olive oil, cook with canola oil (avoid all other oils), brown rice, yams, any kind canned beans, canned tuna. spice everything with tumeric and fresh garlic!

I rarely get sick or a cold, and recently when I think I had a cold/sore throat... it was gone in a day by drinking lots of hot herb tea and homemade chicken soup!

P.S. I'm 70 years old and take NO prescribed meds! This mediterranean-style eating plan has reduced my high cholesterol to where I do not need to take meds!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
This is what works for me:

I eliminate red meat .... all dairy ........ all deli food...... all processed foods........... all cookies, cakes, chips, cola, alcoholic beverages, anything with hydrogenated fat. Avoid sugar in any form.

I EAT lots of fresh veggies, fresh fruit, fresh fish, some chicken, some turkey, whole grain breads, egg whites, daily dose of flaxseed oil, extra virgin olive oil, cook with canola oil (avoid all other oils), brown rice, yams, any kind canned beans, canned tuna. spice everything with tumeric and fresh garlic!

I rarely get sick or a cold, and recently when I think I had a cold/sore throat... it was gone in a day by drinking lots of hot herb tea and homemade chicken soup!

P.S. I'm 70 years old and take NO prescribed meds! This mediterranean-style eating plan has reduced my high cholesterol to where I do not need to take meds!
Awesome! 70 and living well is great to here! Good point on the dairy. I avoid all pastuerized dairy. Dairy in its raw form is not bad for you but due to the processing it goes through has turned it to sh*t. I like raw milk but I could understand the salmonella fears so I stick with the organic raw milk cheese and it tases excellent!

I disagree with you on the canola oil due to my dislike of vegetable oils but I cant argue with your health so I will let that go!

Extra virgin olive oil is great but should only be used on salads or straight up. Never cook with it or expose it to light. Goes rancid very easily.

With fruit I would avoid things that are high sugar. Bannanas, watermelon, papaya, honeydew etc..These fruits contain lots of sugar and fruit sugar just like other sugars raises insulin. I eat mostly berries, apples, and avacados and I eat them early in the day.

Egg whites are great, but so are whole eggs. Eggs are a good fat and lots of that fat in in the yolk. Dietery cholesterol has minimal impact serum cholesterol levels.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMN View Post
CleanCutHippie,

Thank you. All good suggestions. I already cut out the sugar and processed foods. Organics and supplements is what I'll work on next.
My pleasure. One step at a time. I know it can seem overwhelming especially with all the different opinions out there. If you need help messege me anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness