Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,419 times

Advertisements

I have this in my right foot. Had a cortisone shot done on Jan 8th, felt good the first few days, also gave me an anit-inflammatory medicine (Voltran?? something like that, I'm taking the generic of it). Now it is worse than ever. Some days I can't even push the emergency brake in my car. I've done the exercises. I'm even putting these Flexor Patches on my foot (like an Icy/Hot patch but has medicine in it). Apparently I have to "suffer" this condition for 6 months before my insurance will approve the next treatment which is Ossatron Treatment. I go back to the orthopedic doctor on 2/25, mainly to show my consistency in treatment and to get a refill on my medicine (but if it's not working?!!?!, need something else, not going to bother with it). I'll have to go back in March also, then they'll submit the papers to my insurance.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what issues they may have had with it. I was considering maybe a chiropractor, but that would be alot more expensive (my co-pay is $25 each visit), and I think a chiropractor would want to see me at least 2 times a week. A podiatrist, they may say lets do physical therapy,which can't be much different from the exercises I'm doing at home. I'am on my feet alot for my job (animal hospital), I did wear high heals, somewhat overweight, and just being on my feet alot. If anyone has some info that may help I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
The most effective cure for plantar fasciitis is to lose weight. It's also the most reliable treatment. Feel better soon!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,127,517 times
Are you still doing the exercises?

Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
I was fitted with custom orthotic inserts by a podiatrist (orthotics not covered by insurance). I also had to use the night splints for a couple of nights. Both worked and I never got a shot. Orthotics were $500, night splints on the internet about $60. I was advised by the podiatrist to vary heel height on shoes on a regular basis. I never wear the same pair for two consecutive days, and I make sure that the heels vary in height. I found that wearing flats are the least comfortable. I hate cortisone shots and refuse them at all cost. Hope you find some relief soon.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm working on losing weight, although now, my walking is very limited (I take my 2 dogs for walks) I now just do the sit ups, push ups, use the exercise ball, that kind of stuff. I have a huge incentive to lose weight (my Mom, and both her parents have had knee replacements; my Dad both hips-but that was due to arthritis).

I do the exercises everyday, lung, flex/point, stairs, using my toes to pick up a sock. My insurance does cover orthodics (my son got them - he is flat footed). I also have this huge black boot that they gave my son.

I wear a good pair of Nike's everyday to work, which I have the gel pads in them, I pretty much wear them everyday, so many shoes I have.....I can't wear..... This whole thing really stinks......getting old

Thanks again for all the info.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 PM

I had this problem for awhile and had to limp around. I had gone to the doctor for another reason, but with a doorknob question, I told him about my heel. He immediately demonstrated the stretches which eventually fixed my problem. I was to lean against the wall with my back leg straight back, so I could flex the problem area.

My wife has tried some specially made Crocs which helped her a lot.

Article

She may have something like this, but I'll ask her tomorrow when I can to make sure. Or better, I'll just email her. We don't exactly have the same schedule...

Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM

OK, she said she got the rx relief Crocs. She normally wears thin socks to match, and prefers to wear pants.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:21 AM

97 posts, read 389,798 times
Hang in there it will take a while.
I got it when I was pregnant with our daughter and still had it after the pregnancy :0(
It took me over 1 1/2 years to get rid of it.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Well, looks like it will be a long road. I'll look into the shoes (crocs). Thanks for all the information, knew I could find some kind of info on the c-d forums!! Thanks a bunch

Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM

32 posts, read 101,505 times
I wear New balance model 926 shoes, hasnt fixed the problem, but i dont get any pain when i wear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness