U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 PM

26 posts, read 252,839 times

Advertisements

What did you think? Did anyone see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,166,252 times
I just saw the video on the WRAL website and it makes me think. I elected not to get the vaccine for my daughter (on her doctor's advice), because I didn't think there was enough information about side-effects. Also, I don't think it's been on the market long enough for us to know the long-term effects. Like I asked my daughter's doctor: It may be able to prevent some types of cervical cancer (not all), but what do I have to worry about instead? Too many times we hear that a drug prevents something, but the side effects are such that you may has well put up with the original symptom. I'm going to wait and see what happens with this. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:03 AM

546 posts, read 2,185,184 times
We opted not to get it for our daughter (for now) as well (very much against our doctor's advice). We have time to wait and see how things pan out on this. I've heard several scary first hand stories about this. My friend's daughter passed out twice after getting it. Never did that for the other vaccines. I agree that it could prevent cancer but introduce a whole new assortment of concerns. I opted out of the chicken pox vaccine as well. Same timing (new to market), same concerns.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:16 AM

449 posts, read 1,480,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
We opted not to get it for our daughter (for now) as well (very much against our doctor's advice). We have time to wait and see how things pan out on this. I've heard several scary first hand stories about this. My friend's daughter passed out twice after getting it. Never did that for the other vaccines. I agree that it could prevent cancer but introduce a whole new assortment of concerns. I opted out of the chicken pox vaccine as well. Same timing (new to market), same concerns.
Chicken pox vaccine has been in use in the US since 1995 and is recommended by the CDC and every pediatrics and family physician association known. Hardly new to market. Chicken pox as an adult (shingles) can be debilitating. But I do understand your concerns about Gardisil - you probably have a few years to decide.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:46 AM

836 posts, read 3,093,674 times
But didn't this girl get mono? How does one get mono from a vaccine? Also she says she started experiencing the symptoms right away....mono has an incubation period. I am not saying that gardisil is perfectly safe...have no way of knowing, but to me it sounds like this case is streching it. A does not equal to B.

Also, be careful when you say that it does not prevent all types of cervical cancers. While true, the two types it prevents account for about 77% of all cervical cancer. So, it is pretty misleading to state one fact without the other.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 AM

546 posts, read 2,185,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Chicken pox vaccine has been in use in the US since 1995 and is recommended by the CDC and every pediatrics and family physician association known. Hardly new to market. Chicken pox as an adult (shingles) can be debilitating. But I do understand your concerns about Gardisil - you probably have a few years to decide.
It was new when my daughter was of the right age for it. She was born in 1994. My pediatrician was concerned (and still is) that since they did not know how long the coverage would last or if there would be a booster shot that the girls who got the vaccine may be at risk of exposing their babies during pregnancy. That is very dangerous. We decided go the old fashioned route. I'm happy with our decision.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,246,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
But didn't this girl get mono? How does one get mono from a vaccine? Also she says she started experiencing the symptoms right away....mono has an incubation period. I am not saying that gardisil is perfectly safe...have no way of knowing, but to me it sounds like this case is streching it. A does not equal to B.
Indeed. While there may be legitimate problems with the vaccine and many verified stories of dangerous side effects, this story seems to be pure sensationalism.

She obviously did not get mono from the Garadsil shot. It simply is not possible. The mono virus was already in her system. Could the shot have disrupted her immune system to the point that the mono was worse than it would have been otherwise? Maybe, but it is impossible to say for sure and nothing can be proven at this point.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 AM

449 posts, read 1,480,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Indeed. While there may be legitimate problems with the vaccine and many verified stories of dangerous side effects, this story seems to be pure sensationalism.

She obviously did not get mono from the Garadsil shot. It simply is not possible. The mono virus was already in her system. Could the shot have disrupted her immune system to the point that the mono was worse than it would have been otherwise? Maybe, but it is impossible to say for sure and nothing can be proven at this point.
Absolutely right. Sensationalist journalism at its best.

There are a lot of people here that are in the pharma biz, and we know that there is not one drug that is 100% safe. Today, aspirin and tylenol wouldn't get through clinical trials due to gastric bleeding and liver tox, respectively. But we also know that drugs are more scrutinized today more than ever, with lenghty and massive clinical trials - which is why drugs are so expensive by the way (Merk probably spent ~500 million to get it to market). Gardasil included.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:07 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,166,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post

Also, be careful when you say that it does not prevent all types of cervical cancers. While true, the two types it prevents account for about 77% of all cervical cancer. So, it is pretty misleading to state one fact without the other.
I only paraphrased what the commercial says, so the commercial is pretty misleading, then. In the commercial that runs on TV they say Guardisil does not prevent all cervical cancer.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,805,166 times
I did not see the story, so I don't know what they were claiming, but my sister (in her early 20s) received the vaccine last year. She did not experience any adverse side effects, and for her it was worth it. We both know too many women who have had adverse effects from the HPV virus, and there is really only one other (unrealistic) way of protecting yourself from it.

I certainly understand the concerns people have about a new vaccine. I would do some research to learn exactly how the vaccine is made, what the clinical trials revealed as far as side effects, etc. and weigh the pros and cons. For younger girls, it might be OK to wait a few years to find out more, but don't wait too long.

I am hopeful that one day the vaccine will be available to males and women outside the current approved age bracket (I am outside of the age bracket, otherwise I would have gotten it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness