Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,673 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I’m new here. great forum!

I’ve been practicing for 20 over years and I have come to believe that pain and injuries, and the ability to endure them may be a big factor in deciding the outcome of a fight/match? anyone agree? most of the time, the emphasis it seems is to focus on one's skills/abilities/technical proficiency etc.
but the fact and reality of fighting remains - however good one is, if one does not have a high pain threshold, one will succumb quickly at the first sign of pain/injury/blood. so the question is, how does one handle pain?
is there a mental/physical training to withstand pain? how would you react to, say, a broken nose, teeth, a kick to the groin/ribs, a broken arm(amber)?

The question is, will you/should one carry on fighting despite a bloodied face or simply surrender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 05:41 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
I have always thought I had a hign tollerance to pain. I gave birth twice One baby was over 9 lbs. and I iddn't even have a drop of demerol. Really, they were so helpless in the hospital, I swore if I had another baby. I'd have it at home. They did nothing for me. Well, that's another story...
But anyway, yes I have a high tollernace to pain, I look at it this way...just deal with, moaning, groaning and carrying on won't make it go away or get the laundry done.
Fighting is a different story. First off, DON"T touch my nose. The nose is a very sensitive thing...And...I do like my teeth too...IN my mouth.
If I slip on the ice and break my arm, that's one thing, but have someone break my arm? I might yell a little louder. I'm not a fighter. I wouldn't stick around for more.
So...I think my answer is ...I don't think it has anything to do with your tolerance for pain, it's your desire to win in a fight.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:50 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I'm not quite sure a low tolerance for pain equates to not being able to endure it.
Redheads for example have long been noted for requiring extra anaethetic when undergoing procedures. For whatever reason, redheads, particularly women, have a somewhat lower tolerance for pain, feel it more at lower levels. I don't mean every single one, but there is a documented association.
I am redheaded and I feel pain very quickly. Try having a MOHS surgery in-office on your back and feeling the scalpel separate your skin and underlying muscle...it feels like molten lava was poured into that spot and is excruciating beyond words. My dermatologist learned quickly to "hook me up" and keep up with periodic jabs as otherwise I went through the anaethetic much more quickly than others and would tell him..."Doc..I feel that bigtime".
But, can I endure pain? Yep. And I prefer if I know that I must undergo it that I get the whole situation addressed in one swipe as I can mentally go around the present if I know the future will be free of a known follow-up.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:00 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
If the fight is unavoidable...never give up. Go absolutely biserk and give the opponant a sound thrashing. Chances are you will feel some pain...but there are ways to block or ignore it. I once lost a filling in a tooth while working on an off-shore platform, with no way to get to town and a dentist. I got a red pepper seed in where the filling fell out and the pain was out of this world. I was left with no choice but to remove the tooth myself. Just started cranking on it (molar) and after 1/2 hour I finally felt the nerves pop, and let me tell you the loss of pain was instantanious and such a relief. Another couple twist and turns and I had the tooth out. Fingers no pliars. Never really hurt. I may have been in a state of shock or something I don't know.

I've never broken a bone so I have no idea what that feels like. A sprained wrist hurts like heck tho.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:37 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
Well I can attest to a kick to the groin. It took me down quite fast.

But most people in a fight won't feel the pain until it's over. Because when your adrenaline is rushing you don't really feel much of anything.

However when your levels return to normal. You'll feel quite a bit.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:50 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
the worst pain i can remember, is one evening, when i had a severe toothache, whole side of my face was pulsating, also had the flu, and lovely wife, had pms asking me if i thought her thighs were big??!!
i thought i died and went to hell.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:51 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Wow, Rance, what a story!!!!! Yikes, I could never have done that, but I would have resorted to letting someone do it to me under the circumstances.
I broke my ankle, needed surgery on both sides, it really didn't hurt at all when I broke it. Not at all! I knew it was broke cause I felt it crack and heard it.
I broke my pinky toe in a doorway, it was facing backwards, and that hurt a millions time more than my ankle after surgery.
My next biggest pain was spraining my hamstring, slipping on the ice, just about worse than childbirth. (I guess its true when they say you forget the pain!)

Old 03-21-2007, 07:16 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Worst pain I haad was kidney stones. Passed three at varying times through a year and a half in the Philippines. Military health care was just not good enough outside the US. Felt like someone had been kicking me in that very sensitive male place and wouldn't stop. Exquisite!!!. The first time was on a patrol boat about a hundred miles from the base. it took about 3 and a half hours to get back. Bouncing over the waves while we were at it. A fun time had by all. I had a corpsman on board from one of the SEAL platoons based with us, and he didn't have a clue as to what was going on. Guys in good health never seem to see this kind of thing when you're that age. That one hurt. But, I didn't whine. Much.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:31 PM

569 posts, read 1,228,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Redheads for example have long been noted for requiring extra anaethetic when undergoing procedures. For whatever reason, redheads, particularly women, have a somewhat lower tolerance for pain, feel it more at lower levels. I don't mean every single one, but there is a documented association.
Mo, I happen to be a "former" redhead that has a high tolerance for pain. Been told by Dr's to boot. I've broken a few bones, dislocated my right shoulder nine times, left once (popped them all back in myself), taken a line drive up side the head, etc., etc. All pretty much without batting an eye.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times
Well in the heat of battle if that's what you want to call it, once your into it you really don't notice a lot of pain unless somebody decides to stab or shoot you, but the old kick to the groin will have you on the ground pretty fast too.

Been slammed into various objects and cut but you never notice until later, never had any broke bones or nose before so can't comment on those.

Other than pain would be i got hit in the head one time pretty hard and all i saw was stars, lost complete track of everything couldn't even see the other guy then on top of that to make matters worse got hit the second time in the head right after that.
Got hit in the head by a golf ball too one time now that will really surprize you.

Are you into boxing or martial arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness