Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,453,031 times

Advertisements

After several years of running to the bathroom 20 minutes after eating, I have been able to control my IBS with the following methods:
1. no soda pop
2. eat small portions, no overstuffing!
3. minimal greasy food
4. Levbid when I get a flare-up
5. looser clothing
6. stopped using psuedoephedrine for nasal congestion-my doctor said it can exacerbate IBS because it is a stimulant(also kept me up at night). Now I use Nasonex
7. eat on a regular basis, not early one day and late the next.
8. limit amount of lettuce,cabbage and other gas-causing foods.
I had the cramping-sudden emergency type IBS, not constipation. I also switched birth control pills, which I think helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 08:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,588,969 times
I had a major surgery several years and developed IBS! Is much better now, but really have to watch what I eat, stay away from dairy, alcohol, smoking, coffee, sodas, fried and spicy, etc. etc. I used Levsin for a year, but now only rarely. Not fun....

Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,726,888 times
I'm starting to wonder if this is waht my 15 yr old daughter has. She has had a stomach ache for years, she rarely goes a day without one, although she has never been diagnosed with anything, but the Dr. doesn't seem terribly concerned either. She is a little overweight, I get the impression they assume you can eat, so how bad can your stomach hurt? Anyway...on and off she has episodes of cramping, getting diahrea, or being constipated or a combination of both. She spent the whole weekend in bed because her stomach hurt. She already hadan endoscopy and it was normal, but she usually complains of upper stomach pain. I just don't know what to think. I'm relucatant to put her on any medication during the school year as she can't miss school if she gets a reaction to a med.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:40 PM

607 posts, read 3,549,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I had a major surgery several years and developed IBS! Is much better now, but really have to watch what I eat, stay away from dairy, alcohol, smoking, coffee, sodas, fried and spicy, etc. etc. I used Levsin for a year, but now only rarely. Not fun....
Lots of fibre too. Oat bran every day as well as leafy green vegetables. The greens not only provide great fibre but more importantly enzymes to help break down foods to a more digestible form. Also, most importantly, red meat and cheese takes a long time to break down and leave the system ,thus clogging up the works and narrowing the large intestine. All of the impurities and poisons your body is trying desperately to excrete get trapped and re-absorbed into your system. Acidophilus is a great supplement to take everyday for this problem.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:49 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,588,969 times
Yes, fiber in the blender every morning. AND also use a probiotic daily.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:17 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,876,600 times
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like most people issues with things like IBS and Fibromyalgia can be attributed to poor diet and lifestyle or allergies. And I don't just mean smoking or drinking. I mean eat too many processed foods, too many protein bars and drinks instead of REAL protein, and too many BBQ ribs or donuts.

I am not sure I have IBS or not, but it seems like things definitely get better when I used the Lower Carb pasta with Omega 3, eat steamed or grilled fish instead of breaded or "out of a box", drink lots of water, and avoid too much bread and coffee. Also, when I eat a good quality multi-grain cereal that's not loaded with sugar, I hardly have the constipation at all.

I honestly think if someone is young especially, most of their problems can be attributed to diet and allergies. This includes a lot of the problems kids are having now a days with ADD and ADHD. I know for a fact some of that can be attributed to things like caffeine and articial coloring in things like soda, candy and even cherry pie that has red die # whatever.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:27 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,348,937 times
I never ate huge portions in Ireland when I was younger and I got terrible stomach aches and had frequent visits to the batchroom. Right now its 4 or 5 times a day, but ive been so bad it can be as high as 20 per day. No matter what I am eating. I drink lots of water as I gave up Coke and other fizzy drinks (including yellow fizzy beer) and do feel better but no where near 100% I guess I really should bite the bullet and go back to the Doc's.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,876,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I never ate huge portions in Ireland when I was younger and I got terrible stomach aches and had frequent visits to the batchroom. Right now its 4 or 5 times a day, but ive been so bad it can be as high as 20 per day. No matter what I am eating. I drink lots of water as I gave up Coke and other fizzy drinks (including yellow fizzy beer) and do feel better but no where near 100% I guess I really should bite the bullet and go back to the Doc's.
I am not a doctor, but have you actually sat down with a nutritionist, or had your doc recommend and allergist. It's the entirey of your lifestyle I'm speaking of. For example, do you smoke? Could you possible be lactose intolerant? Quite a few people have reactions to red meat and don't realize that it is the problem. Maybe you have a problem because you have been eating food for years that have been raised using spermicides? There's a HUGE array of things people don't even think about when it comes to their health.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:06 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,348,937 times
I dont smoke, I do drink, but I only drink home and microbrew. I dont eat excessively. It can be anything. I can eat a burrito one day and be fine, horrible the next. Its no matter what foods I eat.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 PM

149 posts, read 1,019,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I dont smoke, I do drink, but I only drink home and microbrew. I dont eat excessively. It can be anything. I can eat a burrito one day and be fine, horrible the next. Its no matter what foods I eat.
I'm the same way. I can't seem to tie it down to any one food. Sometimes I just want to give up on eating altogether. I eat really good, very little processed foods, but sometimes everything I eat feels like boiled water in my intestines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness