U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 AM

8,808 posts, read 14,612,181 times

Advertisements

For over a year now, my DH has been having pain on the left side of his chest on top of his heart. Sometimes he feels it in his heart. He's told the doctor on several occasion, but they say it's probably just a pulled muscle. (for a year?) They sent him for an ultrasound on his chest, not his heart. That came back normal. He's still concerned about it . IMHO, I think they should just do an echocardiagram to rule heart issues out. His cholesterol is slightly elevated to about 240. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? Do you have a diagnosis for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,838,399 times
Default Chronic Chest Pain on Left Side

Make an appointment for your DH TODAY with a Cardiologist. Yes, he needs to have an echocardiogram. I have had several and there is nothing to it and it is kind of interesting to watch. You don't say if he has any shortness of breath? Pain in his arms? Pain in his shoulders? Neck? I am not a Cardiologist, however, just last year I had open heart surgery for an upper aortic aneurysm that I did not know that I had. A very competent General Practicioner we see suggested a chest x-ray and there it was. I had no symptoms, however for women the symptoms are very different with all heart issues.

PLEASE...be sure he sees a Cardiologist and soon. Even if it is a "pulled muscle" as your doctor said, the peace of mind you will get from having it looked at is worth a lot. By the way, I don't know who did the ultrasound of your husband's chest area but YES you can see a lot of stuff with an ultrasound so if they didn't see much and he is still in pain........go further to investigate.

Good luck and do follow through with this

Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 AM

No shortness of breath. I forgot to mention he's 38 yo. I just called the doctor to have them order an echo. I've had many done before b/c I have pulmonic stenosis, so I know what it involves. I'd just like to rule anything serious out.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 AM

8,424 posts, read 24,179,032 times
I agree Cardiologist time.
Not GP.

A stress thing is angina. But I wouldn't mess around with guessing. Its not normal to have a pulled muscle for a year. It could be a lung thing too.

http://www.heartprotect.com/chest-pain.shtml

Elevated cholesterol can be a sign of heart disease so don't waste any time.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I agree Cardiologist time.
Not GP.

A stress thing is angina. But I wouldn't mess around with guessing. Its not normal to have a pulled muscle for a year. It could be a lung thing too.

http://www.heartprotect.com/chest-pain.shtml

Elevated cholesterol can be a sign of heart disease so don't waste any time.
Thanks, a very informative article!

Old 05-01-2013, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,419 times
Well I have chest pain all the time and my doctor has had me do a stress test and was all good and I had a ehco cardiogram and a angiogram and there is nothing wrong with my heart then I had a ct scan and nothing wrong with my lungs they ar clear but I still have chest pain and body pain and at times it gets real bad like im having a heart attack but im not. Bbut its constant pain all day. And I hav more pain on my left side and.if it getsral bad I get dizzy and tingling in my left side and I have constant fatige I wish I and my doctor knew what this was anybody know

Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 AM

6,007 posts, read 5,141,959 times
Cholesterol Medication causes many of these side effects

Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM

523 posts, read 1,991,086 times
Quote:
Do you have a diagnosis for it?
impossible to diagnose over the internet, however - concerning signs in association with chest pain would be:

shortness of breath
onset with physical exertion/emotional stress
pain radiating to either arm or neck/jaw
feeling faint/dizzy/nauseated
feeling cold/clammy/sweating

apart from a regular history and examination, it would be important to focus on risk factors for heart disease (e.g. smoking, obesity), family history of arterial disease, and id have thought he'd have had an EKG, and, if any doubt, a cardiac stress test, rather than jumping straight in with an echocardiogram (which likely wont show much even in someone with coronary artery disease).

since this has been going on for a year, and he's seen a doctor on several occasions through this time, it would tend to suggest there is no great cause for concern...i wonder if they found something that explained the pain...for example, was the pain reproducible when the physician examined your husband (e.g. by pressing on the area of his chest that you mentioned)? if so, its almost certainly musculoskeletal, rather than cardiac in origin.

there could be many possible causes of pain in that area beyond cardiac pain, and any physician worth their salt should be able to do a proficient work up - cardiac & pulmonary causes (in that order) being top of the list, due to their potential seriousness. history and examination would inform the likely cause, and therefore the appropriate investigations to pursue.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM

523 posts, read 1,991,086 times
oops, just noticed this is a reincarnated thread from years ago...nevermind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness