U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 AM

15,874 posts, read 15,716,906 times
Default Does Anyone Else "Wake Up" With Killer Headaches?

I wake up a few times a week with terrible headaches in the back of my skull. I've tried different pillows and nothing seems to help. They go away with aspirin or pain reliever a few hours after I am up. I have no stress so they are not tension headaches and they aren't migraines. I've had headaches for years and I would like to be rid of them.

I've changed my eating habits and I eat very little sugar and only 2 cups of coffee(my caffeine) per day.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
Looks like you are not alone:
Waking Up Gives Me Such A Headache (http://ezinearticles.com/?Waking-Up-Gives-Me-Such-A-Headache&id=357728 - broken link)

I did the master cleanser (3 day - no saltwater/no senna) and that cured mine.
But headaches can happen for all different reasons. I would go get a check up before to do anything extreme. It could just be you are waking up dehydrated a bit. Try drinking 2 glasses of room temp water right away to see if it helps it.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 AM

15,874 posts, read 15,716,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Looks like you are not alone:
Waking Up Gives Me Such A Headache (http://ezinearticles.com/?Waking-Up-Gives-Me-Such-A-Headache&id=357728 - broken link)

I did the master cleanser (3 day - no saltwater/no senna) and that cured mine.
But headaches can happen for all different reasons. I would go get a check up before to do anything extreme. It could just be you are waking up dehydrated a bit. Try drinking 2 glasses of room temp water right away to see if it helps it.
Thank you for the link. I will read it. I never thought about dehydration but I am most likely a candidate for that. I hardly drink anything. Why "room temp" water?

I've been to doctors over the years. When I was a kid they said it was "in my head". When I was older they just gave me pain medicine and most recently my doctor said it was tension which I just don't think so.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,935,134 times
Have you gone for a checkup recently? That happened to me and it turned out I had high blood pressure, and waking up with a headache is one of the symptons. Once I cut down on my salt/sodium intake, I didn't have them as often as I used to.

Btw, love your profile pic - did you take that yourself?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you for the link. I will read it. I never thought about dehydration but I am most likely a candidate for that. I hardly drink anything. Why "room temp" water?

I've been to doctors over the years. When I was a kid they said it was "in my head". When I was older they just gave me pain medicine and most recently my doctor said it was tension which I just don't think so.
Room temp is easier on the system and you absorb it faster...Also...I have done the ice water almost toss it back out thing when I have chugged a morning glass too quickly. I really dont like that feeling. So do pass that one up if you can.

Nice thing is hydration is good for blood pressure too. So getting in the habit wont hurt a bit.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM

3,132 posts, read 7,402,798 times
I sometimes wake up with headaches like that. mine come from my neck being messed up! I go to a chiropractor and the headaches resolve very quickly.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 AM

11,151 posts, read 9,337,278 times
I do (in fact, I have one right now ), but I assume -- in my case at least -- that it's due to stress.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,893,102 times
It might be TMJ. You may be clenching your jaw and/or grinding your teeth in your sleep. That can cause pain in the muscles and/or joint which often seems to be coming from somewhere else, the referred pain can be very strange. Ask your dentist to check for any signs of this, like unusual tooth wear or a bad bite.

My dentist told me I had signs of this and I didn't actually believe him until I woke up suddenly in the middle of night and realized my jaw was clamped tight. He said it was probably stress, I denied that I had increased stress, but later as I started to really think about it, I realized that he was right. I was ignoring the stress during the daytime, just working through it, but at night it was manifesting as a clenched jaw as I slept.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 AM

1,105 posts, read 3,063,258 times
I second the TMJ thing. Stress doesn't have to be anything obvious, could just be a way your body is dealing with normal stresses.

Also, dehydration is supposed to be one of the main contributors towards headaches. I second the drinking a glass of water first thing, but I would also make yourself drink a glass or two of water right before bed the night before as well to help prevent them. Also try to make sure you are drinking water throughout the day. Make sure it is water though, not juice or soft drinks. The occasional one won't hurt but it really is water that your body needs.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM

878 posts, read 2,876,029 times
Also trying adding Magnesium before you go to bed. It's a natural muscle relaxer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness