U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you take naps?
Yes, a power nap of 15-20 minutes. 19 35.85%
Yes, an hour or more. 21 39.62%
I ain't no baby! 13 24.53%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,556,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I've tried the power nap in the afternoon. My problem though, when I start to doze off I twitch. My foot will bend it like Becham and I'll wack the coffee table or scare the cr*p out of myself It can be really embarrassing on the plane or some other mode of public transportation.
Yep, I know what you mean. My furkid does that, somehow the transmission gets out of Park and one back wheel spins like crazy when she is snoozing. Must be a differentials bearing going bad too.

Please do not be embarrassed.

Get somebody to wack you with a broom handle and yell "Damnit, stop it now". Then you will go "Hurmmmmmp", breathe out all the bad air, go completely limp in a full stretchout mode and slowly drift into a coma like state with lite wimpers and small yips. Cries and whispers with tick-tock of your own internal clock, Deep Peace with running waves, Deep Peace, with running edges, Deep Peace with shining stars and lite warmth.

What is Becham? Should I go get some??????

We must all try to exploit Nap Power and master its wild gyrations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 11:07 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,445,120 times
Cosmic ... you're NUTS! but I like it

Sorry, I realized I did a typo in my post ... Beckham as in the soccer star David Beckham. The fella has one helluva right foot (left foot too come to think of it) and can "bend" (kick) a ball around a 90 degree angle!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 AM

624 posts, read 2,566,378 times
Ms. Tet,

No biggie.

When flying, the twitchers never bother me and if it gets spasmotic, a quick, anonymous elbow jab fixes things up.

It's the droolers that are disturbing.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,445,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
Ms. Tet,

No biggie.

When flying, the twitchers never bother me and if it gets spasmotic, a quick, anonymous elbow jab fixes things up.

It's the droolers that are disturbing.
You lot just want to beat the poo poo out of me!

As for the drooling, I do that too when I lay on my left side

Old 03-26-2007, 03:45 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,879,423 times
My cat makes me do it!

Seriously, I flop around at night like a carp out of water. Fifteen mintues on this side, fifteen minutes on that one. I have to take a nap to get enough sleep. It's so peaceful at night and a nice quiet time to think, no unnecessary input. Much easier to fall asleep during the day. Besides, I don't sleep well when I'm cold and it's usually colder at night.

It's when I'm at the bf's that it's especially bad. His recliner must be a Sealy...

Old 03-26-2007, 04:14 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,160,275 times
I've been fighting a nap for the past 4 hours now! That's what I get for having too much fun Saturday, waking up after 1 PM yesterday, falling asleep at 4 this morning, and having to leave for work right after 8. If I can make it 5 more hours, I'm going to sleep like a dead person tonight!

My S.O. is the reason I nap so much...we can't lie on the couch and just watch TV. He always has to fall asleep and of course, monkey see monkey do...I always end up snoring right along with him!

My naps are either really short (30 mins.) or really long (2-3 hrs.)...there's no in-between here!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:47 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,748,593 times
These posts really make me feel good. I am usually a little embarassed to admit my napping habit. Now I see that I am in good company. Thinking of startting a daily napping thread on the health and wellness forum ala Myfask. Daily check ins, report length of nap, dream reports...

Old 03-26-2007, 10:20 PM

192 posts, read 796,577 times
Do "unintentional" naps count?

Normally I don't intentionally nap unless I'm sick or feel as if I'm coming down with something, because if I do, then I can't fall asleep at night until 2 or 3 am, which in turn makes me feel like the very devil the next morning... ugh.

But I've found that for the past couple of years (I'm 58) I will often start to doze off as I relax in front of the television in the evening. It never happens during any of my very favourite shows (such as Boston Legal) but if I am watching something else that's normally interesting I sometimes find myself dozing off for a few minutes at a time. This never happened at all in my life before... I suppose it's one of those annoying Getting Older things.

Perhaps instead of a "cat-nap", these mini-dozes are "kitten-naps"???

Old 03-26-2007, 11:04 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,053,939 times
I almost never nap, though it sounds tempting at times. I do like home-from-work days when I feel like crap and need the warmth and staying in bed while rain beats against the windows and winds buffet the house make me feel nice and cosy...but that's happened maybe twice in 15 years!
And I almost fear waking up in the dark and not knowing either what time it is or what day it is or how long I've slept. That freaks me out.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:11 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,383,356 times
I NEVER used to - but now that I work overnights, if I haven't gotten enough sleep, I'll sleep an hour or two before work. Lately I guess I've been getting enough cause I haven't "napped" in a while. So like someone else asked - is it technically a "nap" if it's really an extention of your night's sleep? Or if it's because you're sick or something? I can't imagine why anyone would nap if they had gotten a good nights sleep! Why would you be tired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness