U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you take naps?
Yes, a power nap of 15-20 minutes. 19 35.19%
Yes, an hour or more. 22 40.74%
I ain't no baby! 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:05 PM

9,363 posts, read 23,534,641 times

Advertisements

I am a napper. Got into it when I had my first child and continue to take a nap on weekends when I'm not out and about and on other days when I am not at work.

I get up without an alarm clock at about 5:30am. A mid-day nap lets me stay up late at night, as I am a night owl at heart. It's like fitting two days into one!

How many of you take naps?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 04:08 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,870,565 times
About 4 times a week a 15-20 minute nap is good for me

Old 03-25-2007, 04:15 PM

2,071 posts, read 11,412,926 times
I don't nap. The very few times I dozed on the weekends ruined the whole day. I was sluggish afterwards. If I feel tired it means one of two things. I didn't get enough sleep the night before, or I'm bored. So, I go out and take a walk or do something. Amazing what fresh air can do ........

Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM

31,438 posts, read 70,351,659 times
I don't have time to nap; I'm on City-Data too much!

Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 PM

985 posts, read 2,653,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
About 4 times a week a 15-20 minute nap is good for me
This is me as well, I try to get to my daughters school about 15 min. before she gets out, boy I love that nap. I embarrass her as well because she sometimes needs to knock on the window to wake me up!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 05:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,117,396 times
On days when I am not working, I will take a 15-20 minute nap after lunch.
However, I do not stay up late. In the morning, I get up between 4:30-5:30, but even with the nap I don't stay up past 10pm.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:42 PM

10,446 posts, read 21,464,392 times
I almost always take a short nap when I have time. It's a lot like rebooting.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:50 PM

569 posts, read 1,161,770 times
I actually just woke up from a nap a 1/2 hour ago. M-F my alarm is set for 3:45AM and I usually wake up before it goes off. On weekends, if I sleep past 5AM it usally means I was out late the night before. I average 4-5 hrs of sleep a night so I try and take a "power nap" daily.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:12 PM

364 posts, read 436,847 times
I require a nap after a bad night's sleep or sometimes no sleep at all. I have always needed alot of sleep. Six hours does not cut it for me.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:27 PM

3,020 posts, read 24,451,326 times
Default Hard Core Napper Here. --- Alison Krauss & Union Station on the stereo

I am a very hard core napper.

Lot of it comes from having no choice in the past. Lot of the things I did in the past normal sleep was impossible. Naps was all that was available in many cases. Some times for many, many days on end. I have done many weeks in a row with only 3 hours sleep on average, that in two 1.5 hour cat naps. I also worked a lot of situations that required shift work, you learn how to adjust sleep patterns or die.

Ellie is right about like rebooting and healing your OS.

If you look into this subject it can be interesting. The general question of "Why we sleep and how"? There are cases of people who do not sleep at all, there are many animals that do not sleep in the wild. Some animals only nap. Fish sleep in some situations. Tame horses and wild horses sleep different.

You can learn to power sleep.

Dogs have mastered the fine art of snoozing. One theory that is interesting is it was Mother Natures way of getting them out of harm's way once daily needs are taking care of. Some animals sleep during day because their chow cycle is at night. In humans sleep is important in memory. We reduce and repack the prior awake cycle events into a distilled and compact form. A bit like defragging the brain.

Dogs are very interesting study. The old adage they are only interested in three things in life. Eating, fighting and mating is not quite right. They have four R's. Laying down on it and sleeping once firmly embedded. They will only go into deep REM sleep if they feel in a very safe place.

Humans can do similar, folks in very stressful situations sleep different, not completely shutting down certain brain function. Momma's listen for the crying baby, soldiers in combat, sailors at sea. With the proper training and practice, you can turn it on and off like a switch. Folks with a lot programming experience will tend to work and sleep different.

I like the cultures around the Med, where naps are built into daily life. In my old neighborhood during holidays, the Swedes I knew and hung around with would always nap after a very heavy holiday meal.

So the non-nappers are to be considered handicapped. Might be a future government program and they may very well become a protected class. Messing with a non-napper who is cranky might be grounds for a lawsuit and major damages. Future employers on the cutting edge may specify fully qualified nappers only. It is not fully known the effects that cuddling has during napping.

It is also nice to have the right music on during a nap. I never had any luck with the sleep learning deal but that might also work in some peeps.

A good mid day power nap, allows for going to 4 am on C-D, last peep standing wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness