U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,781,804 times
Default Help - how unblock ears after flight??

Hi -
Looking for some quick home remedy here on a Sunday night...I have some respiratory infection and was on an airplane today. I didn't think it was a head cold yet but I must have something going on because the descent was very painful and my ears are still 'blocked.' I had forgotten my ear plugs and nose spray...ear problems on planes have been a problem before.

One ear in particular feels like it has water in it, that type of pressure. I'm taking mucinex for the phlegm and Delsym for coughing, if that info helps at all.

I also have a slight fever...100.1 and I'm taking Tylenol for that. Any other Ideas??????? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Status: "want to be beach bound, again, soon! lol" (set 21 days ago)

5,380 posts, read 9,425,757 times
Chewing gum might help; it is what you should have been doing during takeoff and landing. A decongestant may be in order now.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 PM

6,271 posts, read 11,768,125 times
too late now but taking something prior to the flight should have been done, as well as using EarPlanes (ear plugs). Now you'll have to wait it out,take decongestants and see if it clears in a day or so. Before doing all the things I've suggested doing prior to flying-my ears used to do that. Stayed plugged a full week once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Hi -
Looking for some quick home remedy here on a Sunday night...I have some respiratory infection and was on an airplane today. I didn't think it was a head cold yet but I must have something going on because the descent was very painful and my ears are still 'blocked.' I had forgotten my ear plugs and nose spray...ear problems on planes have been a problem before.

One ear in particular feels like it has water in it, that type of pressure. I'm taking mucinex for the phlegm and Delsym for coughing, if that info helps at all.

I also have a slight fever...100.1 and I'm taking Tylenol for that. Any other Ideas??????? Thanks!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:47 PM

2,868 posts, read 5,889,465 times
Pinch nose, close mouth and try to blow not allowing the air to escape. Forcefully exhale against a closed airway... (Valsalva maneuver)

Old 03-22-2009, 11:45 PM

16,392 posts, read 10,570,459 times
Be careful with the move above. I have a friend that use to do that and required surgery in her inner ear from doing it too often. As mentioned try chewing gum. I had a cold and took a flight years ago and one of my ears was plugged and out of the blue it make all kinds of noise and unplugged itself. If you have a fever and are that sick you should see a doctor as it is possible you have an ear infection or the beginning of one. Take care.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 PM

6,271 posts, read 11,768,125 times
ditto, what bc said about the holding the nose and blowing! Dangerous. Not as dangerous to close one nostril at a time and blow. Holding both and blowing could be detrimental to eardrums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Be careful with the move above. I have a friend that use to do that and required surgery in her inner ear from doing it too often. As mentioned try chewing gum. I had a cold and took a flight years ago and one of my ears was plugged and out of the blue it make all kinds of noise and unplugged itself. If you have a fever and are that sick you should see a doctor as it is possible you have an ear infection or the beginning of one. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness