Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,643,173 times

Advertisements

I posted here awhile back on my ten year old's battle with autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's). I recently took her to a Naturopath, and I am hoping that we may be on the right path now.

They reduced her Levothyroxine to 25mcg daily and have added some natural thyroid and immune support. It turns out that the most of her problem may be the autoimmune end of it. Her antibodies are over 200, so her body is fighting inflammation all the time (no wonder she is so worn out!). She had Lyme disease a couple years ago, and it is suggested that is what set up her immune system to attack her thyroid.

Anyways, I think this new treatment is helping alot, and she has only been on it for a week! She is taking liquid B12, vitamin D, selenium, a natural thyroid support complex, and a couple immune helpers (Moducare and Immuno Maitake). She should be able to stop taking some of these things once her immune system calms down. I was told that many people with thyroid problems are low on vitamin D (she was), and that selenium quiets down the thyroid immune response. I was also given a list of foods that she should limit or avoid.

I wanted to post this information in case there is anyone out there that is frustrated with their thyroid treatment through regular MD's or Endocrinologists. A trip to your health food store, or a Naturopath may be a welcome change! I also wanted to thank the people that listened to and offered advice on my prior posts on this subject!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness