Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times

Advertisements

I think I have this. Last summer, my doctor put me on Yaz to treat all sorts of horrible issues I thought I was having with the IUD. She never said I had PMDD; just told me I needed hormones to stay stable, as my body had changed after 2 kids. Anyway, I was skeptical, but this pill has worked. My only issue is that I keep hearing horror stories about strokes with this B/C pill. It scares me. I have an appointment to see my doctor, but it's another 2 months out from now.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had success in managing this without having to take the pill. I actually took myself off the pill for a few months and was feeling fine. But, then I got smacked with a wicked bout of depression a couple weeks ago, among other things, and it's not going away. All the symptoms are coming back - I've hopped back on the pill, but it still skeeves me.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
All PMDD really is, is all the symptoms women get while having their period. The before and during. Now there is a pill for that. (there is a pill for everything these days.)
The problem with all birth control pills is the chance of a stroke. More so if you smoke. So if you smoke, don't take it.

I'm not sure what you eat nutritionally, but a few days before your next period and during it, quit eating and drinking all dairy products and cut way down on salt. You will find that the pain is extremely less, the bloating is markedly reduced and most of your symptoms will stop.
This is without taking the pill. The pill alone has a list of side effects, and I hate to say it, but many of the pills doctors hand out, some also contain the same side effects of what you are trying to treat.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
I have PMDD. I am in the process of marking my moods and such so my insurance will pay for the Yaz BC because they don't cover that one.

PMDD is NOT just your typical PMS symptoms.. but PMS intensified x 1000 +.

Yaz has been a great help but I've been off it since switching insurance companies.. There is a huge diffference. When close friends and family are concerned about my mental status... i know there is a difference.

Manage it without the pill... yeah.. with Anti-depressants and Anti-pyschotics, psychotherapy and realizing that I ended up with mental meltdowns 1-2 weeks before my period.

The BC Yaz - for me has been significantly helpful, however I have had good results with the Depo shot, but that made me more 'flat'.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,770 times
I took yaz for two months and stopped about a week ago.
I was taking the nuva ring before, stopped for awhile because I switched insurances and noticed such a positive difference in my mental wellbeing I discussed with my doctor about lower doses of bc.
She recommended yaz, I do not have PMDD, I was fine on nuva ring but moodier than without any hormonal BC, I cannot get an IUD as I have not had children

after two months of yaz I am horribly depressed, and have shortness of breath. Im scared out of my wits, the symptoms are still with me but I need to give it more time to wear off, i cant stand feeling this way, i just want it to end, and want to get back to my life as it was

not every one is going to have the symptoms, or even all. When I started to feel horrible I looked up symptoms of yaz on the web and saw all the horror stories too, thats when I stopped taking it.

you do know they had to revise their commercials for being deceptive too right? I also know there are a group of women that are trying to get together to do a class action law suit against the makers of yaz, they have had blood clots and pulmonary embolisms that almost killed them. Of course it is a possiblilty with all bc however and higher risks for those that smoke but some of these women report they are young, healthy, non smokers.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:04 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
I took the higher dose Yasmin for an extended period and then switched to Yaz and took that for awhile. I loved both of them really, but prefer the lower dosage of Yaz. It took away the extreme pain from my cramps, greatly reduced the volume of my period, and normalized my mood. And therein lies the problem - it normalized my mood too much. Zero sex drive. Now, the truth of the matter is, if I was single, I would have been just fine with that, but I have my husband to think of and so I decided to go off it.

My sex drive increased after a few months. Interestingly, the positive effects on my period lasted for a long time after I stopped, a couple years.

And that cut out dairy and salt thing doesn't work for me btw.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
Thanks for your responses, everyone. I'll try cutting out the dairy and salt - sure can't hurt anything. It sounds like nobody in our extremely small sample group has had much luck in managing without BC pills. I'll see what my doctor says - if depo can help, I'd be willing to do that. But, I don't want to be "flat" either.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Depo is scary in my opinion because once you are injected, you have to ride it out. If it effects you in a negative way, you can't just stop taking it like you can with a BC that doesn't agree with you. You just have to deal with it until it wears off. Since it is a progesterone-only BC I personally think is it much less likely to help with PMDD than a product with some estrogen will, but I have never tried it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness