Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I had a vaginal hysterectomy on February 4th. We decided to leave the ovaries as I wanted whatever hormone they produced...I knew I had 2 fibroids that showed up on the vaginal ultrasound I had in Oct. 08....The surgery went well, and the pain was minimal...You will be sore for a few weeks, but it's nothing that I needed to take medicine for...I wished I'd taken the ovaries out, as the next day after surgery the Dr. walked in and told me they found stage 1 uterine cancer and that she needs to go back in and get the ovaries out. So, early in May, I'll be back in surgery and praying that the biopy is OK on the ovaries and lymph glands she wants to test.

At your age, 55 have her take everything so you won't be in my situation. I'm 54 and regret I didn't just go ahead and do it...Just the thought of having surgery again is upsetting to me...My Mom died of cancer the night before my surgery so I was just wiped out the morning of surgery....

I did so much research on hysterectomies, that I almost talked myself out of having one. Thank God I went on and had it done...
Sending you cyber hugs..
I can't imagine having a loved one die the day before surgery, then to have it come back as you need the ovaries out.. what a nightmare.

Try to hang in there. The fact that you did have the surgery, I'd like to think your mom was nudging you to not put it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:25 AM

593 posts, read 1,794,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Sending you cyber hugs..
I can't imagine having a loved one die the day before surgery, then to have it come back as you need the ovaries out.. what a nightmare.

Try to hang in there. The fact that you did have the surgery, I'd like to think your mom was nudging you to not put it off.
Thank you...It was a brutal week and cause major panic attacks...I'm just now getting my nerves calmed down...and then another surgery/pathogy report...I'm scared to death over this....If ever I needed my Mom, it was that week...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
My dad was always at the hospital with me when I had kids or surgery. He passed a few months before I had my 2nd back surgery, it was hard not having him there.

I can't imagine how you found the strength to do what you had to do.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
Well I had my appointment. He did a pap smear and my 3rd endometrial biopsy, a mammogram and blood work. He ordered a pelvic ultrsound and is having me see a general surgeon who will do the hernia part of the surgery. He said he wants to make sure I don't have cancer first because that is a whole different sugery. Because of previous surgeries and having a tilted cervix, I cannot have a vaginal hysterectomy, ugh. They are going to fix a large hernia at the same time, so that is 2 major surgeries at once. He told me I will not be able to life anything or go up or down stairs for 6 weeks. That will be interesting being as my only full bath here is upstairs. Because I have 2 court hearing for my divorce here in the next month, the surgery will happen in May or June. He is going to give me some kind of medication once he gets the blood test results back to try to stop or lessen the bleeding. Isn't being a woman fun?

Old 04-04-2009, 01:12 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,162,566 times
wow,bc, you have a lot going on. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. IF you trust your doctor, then relax and let him do his job. You'll be fine!!
As for the upstairs bathroom issue........well.......I dunno. You'll have to climb the stairs, just take it slowly. Tis the reason I told my daughter just tonight that she should consider a single story home to buy. Her knee keeps giving her issues; having living/sleeping quarters on 2 levels can be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Well I had my appointment. He did a pap smear and my 3rd endometrial biopsy, a mammogram and blood work. He ordered a pelvic ultrsound and is having me see a general surgeon who will do the hernia part of the surgery. He said he wants to make sure I don't have cancer first because that is a whole different sugery. Because of previous surgeries and having a tilted cervix, I cannot have a vaginal hysterectomy, ugh. They are going to fix a large hernia at the same time, so that is 2 major surgeries at once. He told me I will not be able to life anything or go up or down stairs for 6 weeks. That will be interesting being as my only full bath here is upstairs. Because I have 2 court hearing for my divorce here in the next month, the surgery will happen in May or June. He is going to give me some kind of medication once he gets the blood test results back to try to stop or lessen the bleeding. Isn't being a woman fun?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
Today I found out my mammogram and endometrial biopsy were negative, so that is good. Even though I have been taking an iron pill each day for 6 weeks, I am anemic. The doctor told me to double the iron. I should hear about the pap smear within a week. The doc said he would give me something different than Progestrone to stop the bleeding but I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM

good news--you deserve it. Hope the bleeding stops--been there; it's frustrating.

Quote:
Today I found out my mammogram and endometrial biopsy were negative, so that is good. Even though I have been taking an iron pill each day for 6 weeks, I am anemic. The doctor told me to double the iron. I should hear about the pap smear within a week. The doc said he would give me something different than Progestrone to stop the bleeding but I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Darlin', get that thing out!! The abd surgery is not that bad and I think once it is gone and the hernia is repaired, you will feel progressively better. Much good (+) wishes to you!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
sorry I disagree on so many levels. Ovarian cancer is a killer of too many women! Why keep the ovaries and risk that?
BTW-my sex drive went into overdrive after removal of mine and it's still in overdrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for when I went reading through this old thread. I am 42, I don't want to have anymore children and I am SICK AND TIRED of having a period. I am aneamic and I bleed so heavily there are a couple days I almost can't leave the house.

BUT my worry was what would it do to my sexual experience? Alot of people don't realize that when a woman has an orgasm, her uterus contracts and rises in her pelvic area. If you remove the uterus, does that change how it feels?

I also was not aware that sometimes they remove the cervix and sometimes they don't. Would that not also make things different for sex?

I can understand that no longer being able to get pregnant would make one feel alot more free in the lovemaking department, this I look forward to as well. I have raised my daughter on my own and have always been horrified of adding a second child to that.

I don't take birth control pills and at times would be affraid to be in the same room with a man because of fear of pregnancy.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 AM

My Cervix and ovaries were removed as well as anything else not needed
I'm pleased to report my sex drive and orgasms are intact and going strong.
No change to how it feels, except maybe.......better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for when I went reading through this old thread. I am 42, I don't want to have anymore children and I am SICK AND TIRED of having a period. I am aneamic and I bleed so heavily there are a couple days I almost can't leave the house.

BUT my worry was what would it do to my sexual experience? Alot of people don't realize that when a woman has an orgasm, her uterus contracts and rises in her pelvic area. If you remove the uterus, does that change how it feels?

I also was not aware that sometimes they remove the cervix and sometimes they don't. Would that not also make things different for sex?

I can understand that no longer being able to get pregnant would make one feel alot more free in the lovemaking department, this I look forward to as well. I have raised my daughter on my own and have always been horrified of adding a second child to that.

I don't take birth control pills and at times would be affraid to be in the same room with a man because of fear of pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness