U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 PM

1,367 posts, read 3,501,800 times
No, I know how it works and that it's painful since I've seen it done, but I was just suggesting the rubber things since they are really squishy and sometimes holes can close up quickly depending on how old the piercing is and how the hole healed. The retainers I was recommending aren't the normal hard plastic ones, they are a really soft rubber and are thin, probably less painful then having to re-pierce if it closes up.

Whether or not it will actually interfere depends on the angle at which the x-ray is taken/how they look at it. It will show up on the film exactly how it looks on the body, taken from the front it could block something, from a profile angle it wouldn't interfere. When I lived in a more progressive/urban area, doctors there were used to piercings and you didn't have to remove them for x-rays/CT scans unless medically necessary. I have a feeling most doctors who are less familiar with piercings will have you remove them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 AM

7,105 posts, read 13,423,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Does anybody know if nipple piercings affect mammos? I have one next week. I am wondering if I should call ahead and as
You don't have to say anything, just take the ring out.
I had a mammo a few weeks ago; any test you have you need it out.
FWIW, I don't feel my piercings are anyone's business, and once they see it on the test, it's in your file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Personally as a male cannot see a woman piercing the nipple as a turn on.
If I knew what I was in for when they did it, I would not have had it done.
I did it on a dare. It was the worst few minutes of pain I've ever felt in my life.
They use a hollow needle that bores a hole in the nipple, taking a chunk out.
I don't know which pain was worst, the hollow needle or the clamp that was rubber banded on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
When they crush (and I mean A HARD PRESS CRUSH!) your breast between the vice for imaging, you won't WANT ANYTHING piercing any part of you believe me!

Mine were sore for 3 days after that procedure, why complicate it with metal?
Hard Press, more like slamming your boobs in a door but slowly 4 times. lol

I was bruised as it was. Thankfully I had some Lidoderm patches at home, used those, helped a lot with the pain.

I've heard that using the patches before the mammo helps. If I go back, I'm going to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
No, I know how it works and that it's painful since I've seen it done, but I was just suggesting the rubber things since they are really squishy and sometimes holes can close up quickly depending on how old the piercing is and how the hole healed. The retainers I was recommending aren't the normal hard plastic ones, they are a really soft rubber and are thin, probably less painful then having to re-pierce if it closes up.
She needs to just remove the nipple ring.
Most places won't do it if there is anything there as they will say it may interfere with the reading.
This sounds like the OP's 1st mammo; mammo's hurt enough, I could not imagine something being left in the nipple when that thing comes down and flattens you out. OUCH!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear mammo's don't hurt as bad for some people.
Anyone know if it's larger or smaller?
When the plates came down, I almost passed out, had the wind knocked out of me.

There has to be a better way to do this.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,164,066 times
I can't take the piercings out yet unless I cut them I just got them about three months ago so it is a problem for me right now

Old 04-03-2009, 08:08 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,152,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You can't wear any metal when having a mammogram - you can't wear metal when you're getting an X-ray and a mammogram is a breast X-ray.

I don't have a piercing but I had my first mammogram 2 weeks ago and they were very thorough about implants and piercings etc.

When they crush (and I mean A HARD PRESS CRUSH!) your breast between the vice for imaging, you won't WANT ANYTHING piercing any part of you believe me!

Mine were sore for 3 days after that procedure, why complicate it with metal?

Just ask your technician when you get there.
Your anwer is a much better description than mine was. I know they made me take off my necklace so I would assume something actually on the breast would need to be removed.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,152,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You don't have to say anything, just take the ring out.
I had a mammo a few weeks ago; any test you have you need it out.
FWIW, I don't feel my piercings are anyone's business, and once they see it on the test, it's in your file.

If I knew what I was in for when they did it, I would not have had it done.
I did it on a dare. It was the worst few minutes of pain I've ever felt in my life.
They use a hollow needle that bores a hole in the nipple, taking a chunk out.
I don't know which pain was worst, the hollow needle or the clamp that was rubber banded on.

Hard Press, more like slamming your boobs in a door but slowly 4 times. lol

I was bruised as it was. Thankfully I had some Lidoderm patches at home, used those, helped a lot with the pain.

I've heard that using the patches before the mammo helps. If I go back, I'm going to try it.

She needs to just remove the nipple ring.
Most places won't do it if there is anything there as they will say it may interfere with the reading.
This sounds like the OP's 1st mammo; mammo's hurt enough, I could not imagine something being left in the nipple when that thing comes down and flattens you out. OUCH!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear mammo's don't hurt as bad for some people.
Anyone know if it's larger or smaller?
When the plates came down, I almost passed out, had the wind knocked out of me.

There has to be a better way to do this.

My mammo wasn't to bad, uncomfortable yes but not painful. I definately wouldn't want anything metal involved in it though. I am not particulary large but my Mom is and neither of us think it is the worst pain ever, but a friend of mine is alittle larger than me and she swore it was the worst pain she had ever felt. So I don't know what it is, maybe just depends on a persons pain threshold. I have had 5 kids with no painkillers and my Mom recently had a mastectomy with no pain meds after so maybe we just have high pain thresholds. The worst for me was just the fact that some stranger is putting her hands on my boobs and rearranging them. But it is a necessary evil.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:00 AM

7,105 posts, read 13,423,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I can't take the piercings out yet unless I cut them I just got them about three months ago so it is a problem for me right now
Well then, I guess you have to call the place to see.
I would reschedule it for after you can remove it.

Are you have problems?

Why would you have to cut the piercings? They have ends on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
My mammo wasn't to bad, uncomfortable yes but not painful. I definately wouldn't want anything metal involved in it though. I am not particulary large but my Mom is and neither of us think it is the worst pain ever, but a friend of mine is alittle larger than me and she swore it was the worst pain she had ever felt. So I don't know what it is, maybe just depends on a persons pain threshold. I have had 5 kids with no painkillers and my Mom recently had a mastectomy with no pain meds after so maybe we just have high pain thresholds. The worst for me was just the fact that some stranger is putting her hands on my boobs and rearranging them. But it is a necessary evil.
Could be, I have back pain as it is, so any other pain.. forget it.
I don't need more then what I have.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,164,066 times
It was not a problem leaving them in No pain and no problems!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,205 times
I had mammo today and was able to leave metal bar bells in ... no pain and problems either!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,546,802 times
For people with fresh piercings, probably a good idea to go to the piercing shop and get a retainer and a taper. You can take the ring out, retain it for a few minutes, then when done you can stick in the taper and put the ring back in by yourself. No prob!

But I do not recommend doing a mammo with an unhealed nipple piercing. It probably won't affect the diagnostic quality that much, but all the compression, and possible rolling and other manipulation of your breast and nipple area (esp if they call you back for further imaging) might end up being very uncomfortable depending on how much healing has already taken place.

With both MRI and CT you will probably get some artifacts from the metal around the breast region. With CT it's a beam hardening streak artifact - but probably won't matter too much because people usually CT to examine your chest, not your superficial breast. With MR I'm not totally sure what might happen but I would not chance missing a breast cancer. In the worst case scenario if the piercing starts closing up, all you have to do is go to any shop within an hour or two and have them put it back in. I've had that done before.

Last edited by miyu; 03-16-2011 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness