U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 PM

27,994 posts, read 46,359,104 times

Advertisements

ST. LOUIS, April 3 (UPI) -- Waking up during surgery with subsequent recall is surprisingly common, affecting around 1-in-500 surgical cases, U.S. researchers conclude.

Michael Avidan, George Mashour and David Glick said that becoming consciousness during general anesthesia is an extremely distressing condition leading to post-operative psychological trauma and contributes toward patients' fear of surgery.

Waking up during surgery fairly common - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 PM

15,533 posts, read 35,646,549 times
Thanks for posting this!

I had a surgery a few years ago and woke up in the middle of it. I remember sitting up, seeing the bright lights and somebody pushing me back down onto the bed and a pinch feeling in my right knee, where it bends. I know I wasn't dreaming because I remember it so well - even after all these years. I'm assuming the pinch I felt was another shot of anesthestic or something.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,221,161 times
That has to be a NIGHTMARE! I have seen many stories about people who woke up during surgery and though "What a Nightmare that has to be"!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 PM

2,153 posts, read 9,835,190 times
Let me add to this. I know someone who had heart bypass surgery and he suddenly woke up when they started his heart back up. Oh joy!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:28 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
My husband and my son have both woken up during surgery.

My husband was having gull stones blasted away via sonar. He woke up and said, "Doc. Can you cut me a break. It hurts." The doctor shot the anethesiologist a nasty look and that's all hubby remembers. He was quickly put back to sleep.

My son was having a biopsy in the chest area. He woke up to the doctor puncturing his lung. He heard the puncture. Apparently it's a strange sound. Then he heard the doctor say "Oops! I just punctured his lung."

Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Thanks for posting this!

I had a surgery a few years ago and woke up in the middle of it. I remember sitting up, seeing the bright lights and somebody pushing me back down onto the bed and a pinch feeling in my right knee, where it bends. I know I wasn't dreaming because I remember it so well - even after all these years. I'm assuming the pinch I felt was another shot of anesthestic or something.
Naw. There's no need for that. They administer the anesthesia via the tubes already going into your veins.

The pinch you felt was probably do to their strapping your body and legs down so you couldn't move anymore.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:59 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
I woke up and tried to pull the breathing tube (or whatever it was) out of my mouth as I thought I was choking on it. I can remember seeing a very shocked nurse looking at me and saying, "Doctor!"

Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,137,837 times
Oh my god, I can't imagine! Do you feel anything when you wake up?

Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times
Yeah, I woke up once when they were pulling my wisdom teeth and I remember moaning that it hurt really bad and trying to get away, but then I don't remember anything after that, so yes, you do feel the pain. Thankfully it didn't last very long.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
I was having a DNC done and all I remember was I was having charlie horses in both of my hips I looked down and seen the Doc and at that time I started to kick my legs and waving my arms when all I heard was the doc say I'M Not done KNOCK her out and I started to swing my arms and knocked the anesthesiology off his stool.When I woke up later I asked my mom if everything went ok she said yes.I then looked at my arms and remembered that something was not right and it hit me like a ton of bricks I called for the Doctor and asked her if I woke up during the operation she said yes but everything is fine and nothing about anything that went on.I now years later have to have an operation and due to what went wrong am terrified to proceed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness