U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 PM
 
13,160 posts, read 20,776,233 times
Reputation: 35412

Advertisements

Does anybody have any experience with these? My 16 yr old had surgery to remove a relatively large one in December. Despite daily cleaning and packing of the opening, it still hasn't healed completely. The surgeon is now talking about reopening the area, which we are loathe to put my son through again. He's been on antibiotics for close to a year because of the cyst, and I'd like to see those stop too. Any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 13,114,113 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Does anybody have any experience with these? My 16 yr old had surgery to remove a relatively large one in December. Despite daily cleaning and packing of the opening, it still hasn't healed completely. The surgeon is now talking about reopening the area, which we are loathe to put my son through again. He's been on antibiotics for close to a year because of the cyst, and I'd like to see those stop too. Any advise?
2nd opinion with a colon-rectal surgeon? Depends on the surgery he had to begin with and if the sac wasn't completely removed, he may be even slower to heal. Poor kid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Sugar Grove, IL
3,131 posts, read 10,497,517 times
Reputation: 1617
my husband had that! It healed up on its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 04:34 PM
 
13,160 posts, read 20,776,233 times
Reputation: 35412
The surgeon said he's never had one fail to heal in 4 months, usually it's much less. The pathology report showed it was successfully( and completely) removed. We go back again on Tues. I just don't want to hear the best option is to reopen the incision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 04:36 PM
 
2,742 posts, read 6,874,474 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Does anybody have any experience with these? My 16 yr old had surgery to remove a relatively large one in December. Despite daily cleaning and packing of the opening, it still hasn't healed completely. The surgeon is now talking about reopening the area, which we are loathe to put my son through again. He's been on antibiotics for close to a year because of the cyst, and I'd like to see those stop too. Any advise?
I guess they didn't remove all of if. If is not healing then their is a problem, especially if you are saying that has been a year and is not healing. In this case surgery would be a good option. Did they did a culture? did the doctor ever told you the bacteria? Sometimes this type of cyst build a strong capsule and because of this medicine (antibiotics) wont penetrate. I am sorry but to be honest a year in antibiotics and not healthy (what antibiotics is he receiving?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 AM
 
4 posts, read 120,926 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The surgeon said he's never had one fail to heal in 4 months, usually it's much less. The pathology report showed it was successfully( and completely) removed. We go back again on Tues. I just don't want to hear the best option is to reopen the incision.
My son had surgical removal of a pilonidal cyst from the top of his buttocks cleft almost 2 yrs ago when he was 17 and it is still not healed. We see the surgeon this week to discuss reopening it and using a wound vac. I feel your pain. I can barely stand the thought of this, but he has to heal, and hopefully before school resumes in the fall. He has missed swimming and all water sports for the past 2 summers as we dealt with simply lancing it and draining it for almost a year before finally being advised of the extent of it and receiving the recommendation for undergoing the surgical removal. This is the most unbelievable condition I have ever dealt with. My son's surgeon excised all of the cyst and stitched it up, but one of the stitches came out prematurely. I have since heard of more success with the surgeries where the wound is allowed to heal with packing and no stitches. He has never been on antibiotics except initially following the surgery for like 10 days, if I recall correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 PM
 
13,160 posts, read 20,776,233 times
Reputation: 35412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countinitjoy View Post
My son had surgical removal of a pilonidal cyst from the top of his buttocks cleft almost 2 yrs ago when he was 17 and it is still not healed. We see the surgeon this week to discuss reopening it and using a wound vac. I feel your pain. I can barely stand the thought of this, but he has to heal, and hopefully before school resumes in the fall. He has missed swimming and all water sports for the past 2 summers as we dealt with simply lancing it and draining it for almost a year before finally being advised of the extent of it and receiving the recommendation for undergoing the surgical removal. This is the most unbelievable condition I have ever dealt with. My son's surgeon excised all of the cyst and stitched it up, but one of the stitches came out prematurely. I have since heard of more success with the surgeries where the wound is allowed to heal with packing and no stitches. He has never been on antibiotics except initially following the surgery for like 10 days, if I recall correctly.
Wow! We are still dealing with this too, but it's been 5 months, not 2 years.
My son's wound was not stitched after surgery. We have been dealing with packing the opening with saline soaked gauze for months.

His surgeon finally suggested he undergo laser hair removal in the entire area. He is scheduled for his second treatment this week. We just went ahead, knowing that the insurance company may not cover it. We also saw a wound specialist, who provided a new type of gauze. This is seaweed based, and seems to be helping the opening close up better than the plain gauze ever did. I had to order it online, none of the medical supply stores around here carried it. The wound specialist seconded the suggestion for the laser hair removal. The feeling was that hair follicles in the area were delaying the healing. Even worse, an ingrown hair could cause the cyst to reform.

He is however, finally off the antibiotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 PM
 
15,339 posts, read 27,528,142 times
Reputation: 18820
I had one removed when I was in college; after it had ruptured! I had to take antibiotics in order to clear up the infection prior to surgery. Luckily mine healed right on schedule, etc. One thing I was told was to use Nair on the area every so often to remove hair (after it was completely healed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM
 
13,160 posts, read 20,776,233 times
Reputation: 35412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I had one removed when I was in college; after it had ruptured! I had to take antibiotics in order to clear up the infection prior to surgery. Luckily mine healed right on schedule, etc. One thing I was told was to use Nair on the area every so often to remove hair (after it was completely healed).
My son's ruptured too. He had no idea what had happened. The school nurse called me in a panic, because of the mess.

Good report today though, the seaweed gauze seems to finally be showing progress in the healing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 PM
 
4 posts, read 120,926 times
Reputation: 18
Mattie,

What state are you in? I am in Alabama (USA) and trying to find a specialist for a second opinion although the wound vac is definitely showing improvement in just one week's worth of use! The wound care specialist nurse told me the wound vac machines cost ~26K so hopefully they must be effective! I can't imagine something selling for that much that wasn't an excellent product.
The general surgeon who excised his cyst back in 2007, decided not to re-open it last week as he had initially thought he would. His nurse taught me to change the sponge dressing and to apply the wound vac and the doctor is supposed to check his progress weekly. I am just so over all of this...especially for my son's sake. My heart just aches for him knowing that he spent his whole senior year in high school and freshman year away at college dealing with this! I know you are too.
The seaweed sounds promising. I wonder if part of that theory is a saline component? Salt water is healing for other wounds? Hmmm. Please be sure post your son's progress. I will also remember him in my prayers.
As common as this condition seems to be, it would seem that there must be a physician or clinic somewhere that specializes in treatment of them. I welcome ANY comments in this regard from others with experience.
God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top