U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:14 PM

6,947 posts, read 7,345,966 times

Advertisements

One of my superiors at work actually wants to know why running water increases the urgency to urinate, and I don't know. Whether it's washing your hands, listening to a running stream, etc., it always makes you want to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM

5,291 posts, read 10,364,793 times
This may be off the subject matter but did work.

When my kids were small...my wife would get the kids out of bed (before we retired for the night) to get them to empty the bladder to keep them from wetting the bed.

What she did was to pour a little COLD water on the **** to make them go...worked real well and NO wet beds in the morning.

Such memories. Steve

Old 04-20-2009, 02:54 PM

8,592 posts, read 9,967,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
One of my superiors at work actually wants to know why running water increases the urgency to urinate, and I don't know. Whether it's washing your hands, listening to a running stream, etc., it always makes you want to go!
Now I have to go just from reading the title of this thread... ;p)

Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM

5,561 posts, read 10,603,368 times
Yes, it's true but I don't know why. It also serves that if you are traveling on a bridge, a very long bridge like the causeway over Lake Ponchutrain in New Orleans (25 miles), you will have to go and there is no stopping allowed. I've been there and it hurts! lol

Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 PM

6,770 posts, read 8,784,079 times
When people have those "zen" fountains in their homes or offices, they always make me have to go! Just hearing that tinkling and trickling all day....I could never handle it. I'm not even gonna tell about my Niagara Falls trip!

Maybe it's like yawning: you see someone yawn and you have to yawn. You hear what sounds like peeing and you have to pee. Maybe some hard-wired leftover instinct that helped the pack bond together?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM

6,770 posts, read 8,784,079 times
Just found this, though I don't know how reliable the info is.
WikiAnswers - What causes the urge to urinate when hearing or feeling running water

If you've ever studied basic learning theory, this falls under classical conditioning. You brain pairs the sound of running water with the relief of urinating (the "running water is actually you going to the bathroom). So then when you hear the same sound, the conditioned response is an urge to urinate.

But I still like my peeing-as-bonding hypothesis!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,516,586 times
I know I don't dare start washing dished until I have went to the potty!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 18,464 times
I do not know the reason why but I too, want to urinate as soon as I touch water, like when I am doing dishes. The urge is strong and urgent and my doctor says he does not know why. I think it has to do with the involuntary relaxation of the urethral muscles but the exact mechanism escapes me. I am a retiree and I thought it was something peculiar in old age. Seems not; other younger people experience this too.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 PM

13,046 posts, read 14,640,744 times
The funny thing about water and peeing: when I was young it didn't make a difference if the water in the sink was on or off, but as I got old all I have to do is to think about it, and that would send me running to the bathroom

Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 20,342 times
At one time, and possibly still, during an Army physical you had to give a urine sample. You got the cup and were sent to a sink where you had to run water over your wrists. It worked.

So it is a long known phenomenon, but then as now, the Army doesn't explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness