U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 PM

176 posts, read 433,135 times

Advertisements

I'm not getting involved here, but I just noticed an important difference in People's belief system, after reading the last two posts

Here's the thing guys, you know how there's this whole debate about Autism and Vaccines out in the world today? I'm willing to bet that the cjma over there, and myself over here, don't agree with those Parents arguement for that. Why? Because we're trained to believe in Evidence based Medicine, and Peer-reviewed Journal Articles. (just like the Scientists who read Nature and stuff)

Now here's the thing cjma, you have to be respectful that the general public, as is their right, does not believe in the same belief structure as you or I on this matter, because they don't prescribe to the same doctrine regarding source of information.

It's as simple as that, and to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,053,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
Here's a great site that has many discussions about MSG and all the bad things it has done to people.

Topics - Battling the MSG Myth

I looked and couldn't find any sites where people discuss how hippies and intellects were trying to put the MSG companies out of business for thier own selfish personal gain. LOL
Again, can you please provide real data? real research.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
And just because you or mainstream medicine say that MSG is harmless, or that maltodextrin does not contain MSG, does not mean it is so.

Again, I'll trust my own body's reactions over some doctor's opinion any day.

You're beginning to sound like you're on The Glutamate Association's payroll: Who we are (http://www.msgfacts.com/who-we-are.aspx - broken link)
Ok, Is like you are saying that Water doesn't contain H2O because real science and real chemist say so. If we go down this path, then what is real and what is not?
Search what is Maltodextrin is like saying water, is a molecular structure, made out of glucose, basically a carbohydrate.
You just cant change what it is just because you want to.
Unless you have some prof? but how can you debate on what it is or it isn't. You can debate if is good for you or not, but not the chemical composition. So soon you are going to say that O2 si not Oxygen and that we really breath Nitrogen.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
I'm not getting involved here, but I just noticed an important difference in People's belief system, after reading the last two posts

Here's the thing guys, you know how there's this whole debate about Autism and Vaccines out in the world today? I'm willing to bet that the cjma over there, and myself over here, don't agree with those Parents arguement for that. Why? Because we're trained to believe in Evidence based Medicine, and Peer-reviewed Journal Articles. (just like the Scientists who read Nature and stuff)

Now here's the thing cjma, you have to be respectful that the general public, as is their right, does not believe in the same belief structure as you or I on this matter, because they don't prescribe to the same doctrine regarding source of information.

It's as simple as that, and to each their own.
I understand that, trust me I do. But that doesn't mean that someone can say that Sugar is MSG because is of their beliefs, that just saying that Hydrogen is Oxygen.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM

685 posts, read 1,825,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Silly me. I guess my PhD degree in Medical NEUROPHARMACOLOGY from a top-tiered School of Medicine in the mid-Atlantic must have betrayed my ability to read and interpret science (oh wait. . .were there any actual science in that article?). I guess incidental anecdotal circumstances in one's personal life automatically leads one to know the FACT about something rather than an empirical scientific approach using true to life variables in controlled experimentation (i.e. again, who consumes 20% of MSG in their diet).

It's your life. Eat what you want. I don't care about you or your "PHD".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post

You're beginning to sound like you're on The Glutamate Association's payroll: Who we are (http://www.msgfacts.com/who-we-are.aspx - broken link)

It's statements like these that frustrate scientists like myself from ever wanting to talk about real evidence-based science to the average layperson, who easily believes any opinions on the internet that happen to align with their own rather than focusing on controlled experimental data and evidences.

Last edited by psychofan; 04-28-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 PM

2,839 posts, read 6,633,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
(nothing to do with Breast Cancer)If you smoke your whole life and then get lung cancer, is most likely(but not 100%) it is the Pt fault.
but a doctor would never say this to the patient, or he shouldn't say it to the patient. It is actually against the code of ethics, you never blame the patients disease on the patient.
Really? Even when it's the patient's fault? That does not seem very ethical to me... maybe if people were held a bit accountable for their actions, they'd be less likely to treat themselves so poorly.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Really? Even when it's the patient's fault? That does not seem very ethical to me... maybe if people were held a bit accountable for their actions, they'd be less likely to treat themselves so poorly.
You could say it, but it would be unethical. I don't think you would get into trouble, but is against the rules of ethics by AMA.
The problem is that is their body, is their life, and they do what ever they want with their body, and we (doctors, nurses, or any health professional) shouldn't judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness