U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-26-2009, 02:57 PM
LLN

3,128 posts, read 3,508,673 times
Hope you do not start a panic with this. The internet is great for spreading the word, not necessarily great for understanding what you read.

lln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-26-2009, 02:57 PM

3,665 posts, read 5,970,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Unfortunately, things are being reported on CNN as if there is nothing to really worry about. Plus, a spokesperson from Homeland Security (I believe that was the dept) was downplaying it - saying people don't need to be overly concerned, an emergency is being declared just so resources can be put in place, etc. Well, people DO need to at least pay attention and be prepared, while we all HOPE this will not prove to be a national problem.
Yes, resources have been activated even in North Carolina. This is not to say NC has any cases, but that we are operating at a heightened alert level. It is prudent to at least pay attention and be prepared, just as you said.

Unread 04-26-2009, 02:58 PM

7,321 posts, read 5,626,707 times
Default this was the breaking news email from WBT...

US declares public health emergency for swine flu

The U.S. declared a public health emergency Sunday to deal with the emerging new swine flu, much like the government does to prepare for approaching hurricanes. Officials reports 20 U.S. cases of swine flu in five states so far, with the latest in Ohio and New York. Unlike in Mexico where the same strain appears to be killing dozens of people, cases in the United State have been mild and U.S. health authorities can't yet explain why.
``As we continue to look for cases, we are going to see a broader spectrum of disease,'' predicted Dr. Richard Besser, acting chief of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ``We're going to see more severe disease in this country.''
At a White House news conference, Besser and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano sought to assure Americans that health officials are taking all appropriate steps to minimize the impact of the outbreak.
Top among those is declaring the public health emergency. As part of that, Napolitano said roughly 12 million doses of the drug Tamiflu will be moved from a federal stockpile to places where states can quickly get their share if they decide they need it. Priority will be given to the five states with known cases so far: California, Texas, New York, Ohio and Kansas.
Napolitano called the emergency declaration standard operating procedure one was declared recently for the inauguration and for flooding. She urged people to think of it as a ``declaration of emergency preparedness.''
``Really that's what we're doing right now. We're preparing in an environment where we really don't know ultimately what the size of seriousness of this outbreak is going to be.''

(http://www.wbt.com/listen/stream.cfm - broken link)

Unread 04-26-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Hope you do not start a panic with this. The internet is great for spreading the word, not necessarily great for understanding what you read.

lln
Please see again:

While the current public health emergency may not prove to be catastrophic, it is wise to prepare for the eventual pandemic or any natural or man-made disaster.

Unread 04-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
``Really that's what we're doing right now. We're preparing in an environment where we really don't know ultimately what the size of seriousness of this outbreak is going to be.''
Precisely.

Unread 04-26-2009, 03:00 PM

7,321 posts, read 5,626,707 times
if panic ensues, it isn't Carolina Guy the US has declared an emergency.....

Unread 04-26-2009, 03:04 PM

34,053 posts, read 38,209,780 times
Altho no one should panic, this should be taken seriously.

Even USAir is offering to change tickets for people who have reservations to fly into Mexico City. So airlines are taking it very seriously, as well.

Continental and US Airways relax ticketing policies for Mexico City passengers over swine flu outbreak - Travel - LATimes.com

Unread 04-26-2009, 03:07 PM

37,795 posts, read 39,195,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Another fear/propoganda attack by the media to get everyone all scared....I don't think it will amount to anything but a regular flu (which suxcks according to ppl who get it) but I would not get worried about it.
A regular flu could kill me. I'm not protected from this particular flu because it wasn't in the flu vaccine this year.

Unread 04-26-2009, 03:11 PM

6,051 posts, read 8,101,804 times
The young (as in children) and the elderly are NOT more susceptible in a virus such as this. YOUNG HEALTHY ADULTS ARE. Read Saturday's News & Observer newspaper (April 25, 2009). It describes why in detail.

It happened that way in 1918, too. I have an antique trunk that was sealed in an attic of a house we bought years ago; the trunk belonged to a 26-year-old woman who was a pandemic victim. The letters in the trunk told the story of her life and her family. (Then I did research and found out what happened to her.) They must have sealed it in the attic because of the germs. The parents survived; the daughter died.

By the way, the recommended face masks to avoid a pandemic flu should be of the N95 type.

P.S. It is very important that there are pandemic threads that are kept LOCAL. According to all I've read (and I've read a LOT), communities will be ON THEIR OWN if a pandemic happens. There will be no white knight or government calvary coming to our rescue. People in local communities will NEED to depend on each other, and communication will be highly important. This board might be very valuable in that effort. Each area probably should have their own Pandemic section.

And I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm saying: Prepare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
I find it interesting that the CDC and other health organizations are telling people not to overreact. As with any flu strain, the young and the elderly are much more susceptible. SNIP

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-26-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Unread 04-26-2009, 03:14 PM

5,891 posts, read 5,270,548 times
We really won't be able to find out how deadly this is, what the CFR is, until the second wave starts htting young adults in NYC. Even in Mexico the people who have died seem to be between 20-40 yo, not children or teenagers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness