U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,477,142 times

Advertisements

A potential reason for why there have been no deaths in the United States:

Quote:
Asked why there were so many deaths in Mexico, and none so far among the US cases, Cordova noted that the US cases involved children – who haven't been among the fatal cases in Mexico, either.

"There are immune factors that are giving children some sort of defense, that is the only explanation we have," he said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...mic-fear-grows

Last edited by Hopes; 04-26-2009 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM

9 posts, read 15,227 times
Don't feel like adding to the hysteria already around, saw this though thought it would be interesting to share while the media was sensationalizing the entire thing... enjoy..

H1N1 Swine Flu - Google Maps

Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 PM

I'm glad the media has covered the story to this extent. We all can afford to be reminded of basic precautions.

For instance, I sometimes bite my fingernails when nervous. That's a big no, no when it comes to protecting oneself and others from disease. We're supposed to keep our hands away from our faces if they're not washed. Furthermore, I could infect others by touching a doornob after biting a fingernail.

That's just an example of how news reports are positive. This is not a time to freak out and buy face masks. It's a time to use normal precautions we all tend to slack on sometimes. Who hasn't rubbed their eyes without washing their hands first? Whose child hasn't taken a sip from a parent's glass of soda? etc.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,342,731 times
I don't think the media has sensationalized anything. (However, I don't watch cable Fox News, so I don't know what they're reporting.) If the media didn't share the information that people need to know, you'd accuse them of withholding information.

Tonight, I looked at a map of the spread of the 1918 flu, and just like now, it started in California, New York, and Texas, with some Midwestern states. That was September 14, 1918. By October 5, it spread throughout the entire country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czz7661 View Post
Don't feel like adding to the hysteria already around, saw this though thought it would be interesting to share while the media was sensationalizing the entire thing... enjoy..

Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,539,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I don't think the media has sensationalized anything. (However, I don't watch cable Fox News, so I don't know what they're reporting.) If the media didn't share the information that people need to know, you'd accuse them of withholding information.

Tonight, I looked at a map of the spread of the 1918 flu, and just like now, it started in California, New York, and Texas, with some Midwestern states. That was September 14, 1918. By October 5, it spread throughout the entire country.
If you read the total history you would have seen it hit in two waves. The first version was mild and everyone recovered, no big deal, then it mutated and formed into a much deadly version and killed millions when it traveled through the system again. Many experts think that due to the strain seemingly being very deadly in Mexico and not so here, that we are ripe for a repeat. Also, the flu encompasses bird, pig and human strains. This sucker could get real nasty real fast.

I'm no scientist, as is probably obvious, but my gut based on reading history, tells me this bug could end up being horrific! Could end up being that first early test Biden spoke of when he said Obama would be tested early on.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 AM

305 posts, read 473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I had already figured out who posted this when I read 1/2 of the post LOL
Yeah, me too. LOL
The writing style is just a little too familiar.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:41 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,548,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A regular flu could kill me. I'm not protected from this particular flu because it wasn't in the flu vaccine this year.
I am assuming you have an auto-immune disease if the flu could kill you.

The vaccine isn't helping you anyway unless you have a mercury deficiency?

My point is that this so called swine flu is no worse then any other flu thus far.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:05 AM

226 posts, read 485,574 times
As with any situation, panic doesn't help anything. Look what it did to our economy!! Just keep doing the same things everyone should already be doing and that is to cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze (common courtesy anyway), wash, wash, wash your hands and try to stay clear of anyone who is clearly sick. I have ramped up my hand washing to include anti-bacterial wipes in my car. I use them as soon as I leave a store or bank where I have used a keypad (any idea how many hands have touched those during the course of a day??) or handled money. Even touching merchandise in a store. There are certainly ways to protect yourself without going into panic mode.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:10 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,562,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czz7661 View Post

Thanks for the map, sure shows how fast a virus can spread with today’s jet travelers.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I am assuming you have an auto-immune disease if the flu could kill you.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
My point is that this so called swine flu is no worse then any other flu thus far.
Any flu is dangerous to a certain population. But it does seem this flu is worse since it has killed many people in Mexico. They believe the reason it hasn't killed anyone in the US is because only children have had the flu in the US. It's killing people between the ages of 24-45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness