U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,182,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post

This could, of course, lead to an awkward silence when you pull out your hand sanitizer and spritz yourself with Lysol in the conference room.
Thanks for the visual!

But we can never wash our hands enough, especially in this climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,330,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
I find it interesting that the CDC and other health organizations are telling people not to overreact. As with any flu strain, the young and the elderly are much more susceptible. Also, the two people in Kansas who contacted the swine flu are already getting better since they didn't overreact and took the necessary acts to quarantine themselves from others and then got the proper medical attention. (The husband had just returned from a trip to Mexico).

Of course, we should compare ourselves to Mexico. What was I thinking?! I mean, this is a country that reminds tourists to not drink the water. This is a country that, even if you are in perfect health and have the health records to prove it from your own doctor, still make you get a blood test before you get married!

We should all take the necessary precautions when it comes to protecting ourselves from any disease. But we shouldn't overreact. As we look up to watch the sky falling, we avert our eyes from all the other things that could seriously harm us.
Have you keepup with tthe reports of who is dying in mexico. Healthy 20-40 year old not the very young and elderly. In the US only one person has had to be hospitalized and none have had treatment with tamiflu or the other drug. Basically that is what seems to puzzle so many experts is why the differences. i saw the one guy in Texas and he said basically he felt much better and its was like any flu he has experiened. He looked better tha I do with a cold. Strange.I have heard one explaination why the youg and healthy are dying;it is said to have to do with the massive shock to their immune system or something ;seen before.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM

206 posts, read 374,641 times
Pandemic 2

Have fun! :-D

Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 PM

4,538 posts, read 5,343,932 times
I hope this is posted in the most useful of several swine flu threads here, this one looks like it. Heard this program today on NPR. It is one of the most informative discussions of this issue that I have heard to date. Click on Listen to this segment - Real Audio or Windows media One hour.

WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio - The Diane Rehm Show for Monday April 27, 2009

10:00 Swine Flu
The U.S. has declared a "public health emergency" as several countries investigated suspected cases of swine flu that has been identified in Mexico, the United States and Canada. Diane and her guests will discuss the latest on the swine flu outbreak.

Guests
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases/NIH
Dr. Andrew Pekosz, is a professor of Microbiology and Immunology at Johns Hopkins University.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 PM

197 posts, read 309,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Thanks for the visual!

But we can never wash our hands enough, especially in this climate.

Doing what I can to promote safety and wellness in the area, CG. It's all in a day's work.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM

6,355 posts, read 5,756,526 times
WHO has raised the pandemic level to 4. US is recommending against travel to Mexico. The official stats last I read were 103 deaths in Mexico probably due to swine flu, some 1600 probably infected with it.

That number is almost certainly much lower than the reality, as there have been several reports of ambulances down there refusing to transport people with obvious symptoms, and even some hospitals refusing admittance.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:44 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,239,507 times
BlueDevilz, I think I actually agree with you here!!! Maybe the World IS coming to an end!! Til then, I will increase my immune system boosting herbs and wait...

Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM

18,269 posts, read 2,616,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It has already been identfied in san antinio and californa. Eight cases i beleive. Heard that it is a different strain that the last whine flu outbreak. Also said to be a strange season to see the first caes from what I read.

A different strain has been confirmed in Indiana

Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM

6,355 posts, read 5,756,526 times
It's always good to read the news before making foolish comments about how nothing is all that bad at the begining of a pandemic.

WHO has increased the pandemic alert level to 4, and the probable deaths from swine flu has increased to 103.

The reason there have been no deaths outside of Mexico is simply that they have many more infections, and have had them for much longer, than elsewhere.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM

197 posts, read 309,195 times
Ok, my mother works with the Health Department and they were just issued this memo via email as a safety guideline:

Swine Influenz (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza viruses that causes regular outbreaks in pigs. People do not normally get swine flu, but human infections can and do happen. Swine flu viruses have been reported to spread from person to person, but in the past, this transmission was limited and not sustained beyond three people.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the United States government and the World Health Organization are working to assure early detection and warning and to respond as rapidly as possible to the Swine Flu Threat in order to lessen its potential health and socioeconomic impact. Rowan County is working with the NC Department of Health. At this time, there is no Swine Flu in Rowan County or in the State of North Carolina. If it does occur in the State, a plan of action has already been determined to help mitigate the impact of the Flu on North Carolinians and residents.

Please go to the below links for additional information:

Individuals and Family
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Flu and You

Flu Guide for Parents:
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Information for Parents

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/flugallery/2008[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]‐[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]09/parents_guide.htm

For Schools and Childcare Centers
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Information for Schools & Childcare Providers

Guidance for Health professional and Clinics
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Summary Guidance

Flu Information for the Workplace and Businesses
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Flu and the Workplace

Prevention and Protection from the Flu
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | What to Do If You Get Sick

Most frequently asked questions
http://www.who.int/csr/swine_flu/swine_flu_faq_26april.pdf (broken link)

Swine Flu Information in Spanish
Influenza porcina (gripe porcina) Datos importantes

Additional resources:
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)
PandemicFlu.gov
United States Department of Health and Human Services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness