U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2009, 04:05 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,499,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
Ok, my mother works with the Health Department and they were just issued this memo via email as a safety guideline:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM

985 posts, read 1,743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
There are 2 antiviral medications that can treat this flu.
For now they are working, it is very possible the virus could mutate into something resistant to medication, I think that is the real fear. I really don't think it's going to though. I think this swine flu will just be a small blip on the radar that people will hardly remember it 10 years. Of course, I could be wrong.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,303,354 times
I get that we need to be careful and alert but it just seems that there is a real concern about getting too nuts. Remember the Merssa I know I spelled it wrong. Popped up all over some went to the hospital and yet we are all still here and you don;t hear alot about it now.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,499,670 times
Interim Guidance for Swine influenza A (H1N1): Taking Care of a Sick Person in Your Home

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Interim Guidance for Swine influenza A (H1N1): Taking Care of a Sick Person in Your Home

Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM

2,868 posts, read 6,265,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
For now they are working, it is very possible the virus could mutate into something resistant to medication, I think that is the real fear. I really don't think it's going to though. I think this swine flu will just be a small blip on the radar that people will hardly remember it 10 years. Of course, I could be wrong.
Yes it could mutate...It could mutate and still be sensitive to those med though...But for now, it is treatable.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM

75,344 posts, read 36,523,712 times
Number of schools in Texas closing..kids reported sick with flu-like symptons.
North near Dallas, Forth Worth and south near Rio Grande. This is besides the school district that closed all their schools yesterday.

Veratect (Veratect) on Twitter

If you look at the numbers since Saturday..7, Sunday 20, Monday 40 (last I heard) it's doubling every 24 hours.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:28 PM

75,344 posts, read 36,523,712 times
Deaths in Mexico now at 149.

US now has 40 confirmed cases..seems to be doubling every 24 hours (7 then 20 and today 40)

Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 PM

43,294 posts, read 47,186,981 times
I think it is good to keep things in perspective. They said somethig like 3600 people die each year from the more common flu. Surprised me really.They also report that none of the victims so far that recovered had taken either drug in US.Likely to take time to confirm many of the cases is one delay.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Status: " All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well" (set 13 days ago)

6,830 posts, read 6,555,290 times
I emailed a virologist and asked about the difference in death rates between Mexico and the rest of the world, why it was more virulent in Mexico. He replied that there was no significant difference in virulence, it's simply a matter of the virus having been in Mexico earlier and having affected many, many more people.

He said that when numbers of infected rise soon in this country, we'll start seeing deaths.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:53 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,303,354 times
I 'm not saying that there isn't cause for concern but not panic. The news in their ability to share and set peoples minds at ease also create panic. Get a hold. I remember the big Merssa scare not spelled right I know. It closed schools, put people into hospitals and if I 'm right a few died. Is it gone no but you don't hear about it as much. I 'm not saying this isn't a big deal but what I heard today as it was on all the news channels none stop, that those who have been effected only one had to go to the hospital. A lot of the people who came down with it are feeling better and many like the girl I heard on CNN wasn't even tested by the hospital she was just told she most likley had it. I think we will see more cases but to panic and act like it is years ago is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness