Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 12:00 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
No, they did not die from superimposed bacterial infection. In the 1918 pandemic patients who died were mostly young adults. Recently information from that pandemic was reviewed at the National Institutes of Health, including slides from autopsies.

These patients died from pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) and pulmonary congestion (blood was unable to circulate in the lungs due to the pulmonary edema). There was no evidence of any bacterial infection.

In addition, bacterial infection, including bacterial pneumonia, doesn't usually cause death that quickly (within 24h in many cases). Pulmonary edema, however, CAN, and frequently DOES do that.
You are correct, this is why having a strong immune system as everyone here is implying, does you more harm then good. It killed the healthiest, strongest people. The fluid retention in the lungs was caused by a viscious and over reacting immune system. Your lungs and surronding tissue quickly filled with fluid, pinching off blood and air supplies. People littlerally drowned and suffocated, or had lack of blood flow to the lungs. Horrible death, by the way.

So all of you stating how "healthy" you are and how it won't take you down, have not read history. I tried to convey this here earlier and was called names and told I was inciting panic. BS, It's fact! The healthier you are, the more likely you are to die from this particular strain of virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It looks like we might be able to gain a breather over the summer months, as the deadlier pandemic flus generally go underground from around the beginning of May to about September or October: http://www.promedmail.org/pls/otn/f?..._ID:1000,77243

This will be very helpful for those who are heeding the warnings and starting to prepare. Get meds, herbal treatments such as elderberry tincture or Sambucol, n95 respirators, latex gloves, spray antiseptics, and start practicing good hygiene such as washing hands thoroughly (at least 30 seconds) and often when going out in public.

A few weeks stash of food and bottled water would be a good idea in case you need to stay indoors for a while.

You may have 3 months to get together enough supplies to greatly reduce your chances of getting this illness!

That is because people are out in the sun more often and producing more vitamin D

If your vitamin d levels are optimal it can help prevent the flu

Avoid Flu Shots, Take Vitamin D Instead by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD

Vitamin D for Flu

My family, our practice and our nursing homes have been practicing this for years now and we have been around MANY serious illnesses and we just don't get the flu and a rare cold.

Check it out. It's worth the research. Many doctors and medical magazines are starting to realize the daily allowance is WAY too low.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,632 times
Carolina Cowboy you have way to much time on your hands to keep that much time looking at this. Update this is the flu it is going to get passed around it always is. Schools will close and yes sadley like every year people will die. 200 million people will die is that what I read you said. Never heard that anywhere. Can anyone just stay home from work for 12 days? My concern with you isn't personal except you seem to be posting everywhere. Are you in the health profession because I see people asking you questions. People asked your Doctors or health dept or watch CNN. As much as I like the internet I do not take everyones advice as I don't know who is typing on the other side. If watching this Flu outbreak is taking most of your day you might need to shut the computer off.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I'll post it anyway.

I checked at a local pharmacy about the availability of Tamiflu. They have it, but it sells fast. The pharmacy obtains a limited quantity each time it reorders. Tamiflu is available in packets of 10 tablets which is enough for only one person. If flu symptoms start to show up, Tamiflu is taken 2 tablets daily for 5 days. Check with your doctor or pharmacist for details.

Prices are likely to vary somewhat from place to place, but in general people who have insurance that covers prescriptions can purchase Tamiflu for about half the retail cost. That may also vary depending on your insurance coverage. Those without insurance must pay full price. The price I was told is a little under $100 for a packet of 10 tabs.
Most states, if not all or at least those with no confirmed cases, are only giving antivirals to confirmed or suspected cases only. They are not being used for prophylaxis and only for treatment purposes. You must have a prescription to obtain the antivirals, at least in NC.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Is this scary, Yes, should people panic....heck no...being informed isn't panicing. And I believe it is everyone's responsiblity to stay informed. There is nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,746 times
Just raised to level five, one step from the highest level. They know something we don't. First time in years it has reached this level. Government is hurrying to make a vaccine. Should be ready in 5-7 months. Oh gee!

Once this hits a level 6, full scale pendemic level, I'll be back to accept my appologies.

Many here attack me, but never provide any rebuttal to my posts. Generic insults and attacks are worthless.

It amazes me that most every single infectious disease expert in the world is warning till their blue in the face that this is going to be bad and most here are in denial. Pure, unconditional denial. All the meanwhile, I endorce preparation and planing so YOU and your family might be safe and get attacked for it?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
WOW!, irrational fears has apparently reduced a few into non-functional total panic and fear. What a miserable existence they lead.

He needs to put on a sandwich board saying we are all doomed and walk the streets of Cornelius. It would help if he was also coughing, sweating, and moaning about feeling bad.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Just raised to level five, one step from the highest level. They know something we don't. First time in years it has reached this level. Government is hurrying to make a vaccine. Should be ready in 5-7 months. Oh gee!

Once this hits a level 6, full scale pendemic level, I'll be back to accept my appologies.

Many here attack me, but never provide any rebuttal to my posts. Generic insults and attacks are worthless.

It amazes me that most every single infectious disease expert in the world is warning till their blue in the face that this is going to be bad and most here are in denial. Pure, unconditional denial. All the meanwhile, I endorce preparation and planing so YOU and your family might be safe and get attacked for it?

While anyone can look at any of my posts throughout my history on CDF and see that I am a firm believer in vitamin d and question vaccine motive and safety and consider the likelihood of a conspiracy with drug companies I can ALSO say that what YOU are saying is also possible.

I don't think any of us for sure know anything for a fact. Not scientists, not the government and definitely NOT the doctors and us "little people." There are two ways to know what is going on for sure. One would be to get EVERYONE together (scientists and so forth) and get the WHOLE truth. Or two BECOME nature, which isn't possible

Even "waiting to see" does nothing and brings no truths behind the outcome.

while I do agree with what you are saying to a degree, as ANYTHING is possible, I don't agree with scaring people. It does nothing for us sane people. Rather, it makes the crazy a bit more crazy and the irrational a bit more irrational and the paranoid a bit more paranoid. And THAT is the LAST thing we want to do in a situation like this.

Take care everyone

Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post

It is the way you present your warnings. I bring the same information, but I back it up with documentation and sources. You come here screaming the sky is falling only with your emotions and no proof of argument. The WHO is seriously considering raising it to 5, but have they yet? Do you have an official source? If so, please post. That's all I ask! Otherwise, post your emotional spasms in the other swine flu thread--this one is for official business.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Few know that this disease was a rare combination of swine flu, human flu and avian flu. This is only possible if manufactured in a lab. I posted the info. in the Mexico board. Please read the history and how to protect you and your family. Marshal Law is on its way. God bless us all.

Well the first act of Marshal Law should be to silence those that spread fear and completely bogus information, such as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness