U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM

314 posts, read 963,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If anyone knows how long this particular virus can stay alive on room-temperature surfaces, I'd like to know. I might be "quarantining" my store purchases!

Last night I heard the doctor who is a correspondant for CNN say it's 48 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM

985 posts, read 2,211,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If anyone knows how long this particular virus can stay alive on room-temperature surfaces, I'd like to know. I might be "quarantining" my store purchases!
The doctor on CNN said it can stay on surfaces up to 48 hours, but then he said products from Mexico are alright. I can't really figure how it can stay on surfaces for that long yet not be a threat, but whatever.

I know I totally dismissed this swine flu earlier in this thread but, I admit, I am staring to worry a bit.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:00 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,242,552 times
Official Source: WHO | Swine influenza

Quote:
Swine influenza

Ladies and gentlemen,

Based on assessment of all available information, and following several expert consultations, I have decided to raise the current level of influenza pandemic alert from phase 4 to phase 5.

Influenza pandemics must be taken seriously precisely because of their capacity to spread rapidly to every country in the world.

On the positive side, the world is better prepared for an influenza pandemic than at any time in history.

Preparedness measures undertaken because of the threat from H5N1 avian influenza were an investment, and we are now benefitting from this investment.

For the first time in history, we can track the evolution of a pandemic in real-time.

I thank countries who are making the results of their investigations publicly available. This helps us understand the disease.

I am impressed by the work being done by affected countries as they deal with the current outbreaks.

I also want to thank the governments of the USA and Canada for their support to WHO, and to Mexico.

Let me remind you. New diseases are, by definition, poorly understood. Influenza viruses are notorious for their rapid mutation and unpredictable behaviour.

WHO and health authorities in affected countries will not have all the answers immediately, but we will get them.

WHO will be tracking the pandemic at the epidemiological, clinical, and virological levels.

The results of these ongoing assessments will be issued as public health advice, and made publicly available.

All countries should immediately activate their pandemic preparedness plans. Countries should remain on high alert for unusual outbreaks of influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia.

At this stage, effective and essential measures include heightened surveillance, early detection and treatment of cases, and infection control in all health facilities.

This change to a higher phase of alert is a signal to governments, to ministries of health and other ministries, to the pharmaceutical industry and the business community that certain actions should now be undertaken with increased urgency, and at an accelerated pace.

I have reached out to donor countries, to UNITAID, to the GAVI Alliance, the World Bank and others to mobilize resources.

I have reached out to companies manufacturing antiviral drugs to assess capacity and all options for ramping up production.

I have also reached out to influenza vaccine manufacturers that can contribute to the production of a pandemic vaccine.

The biggest question, right now, is this: how severe will the pandemic be, especially now at the start?

It is possible that the full clinical spectrum of this disease goes from mild illness to severe disease. We need to continue to monitor the evolution of the situation to get the specific information and data we need to answer this question.

From past experience, we also know that influenza may cause mild disease in affluent countries, but more severe disease, with higher mortality, in developing countries.

No matter what the situation is, the international community should treat this as a window of opportunity to ramp up preparedness and response.

Above all, this is an opportunity for global solidarity as we look for responses and solutions that benefit all countries, all of humanity. After all, it really is all of humanity that is under threat during a pandemic.

As I have said, we do not have all the answers right now, but we will get them.

Thank you.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM

4,439 posts, read 7,742,965 times
Can anyone answer this for me:

Is this flu any different in terms of severity than regular old fashion flu?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:08 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,329,628 times
If you think about it, there is abolutelty nothing to worry about. Heck the averag garden variety flu kills 36,000 a year in the US. So far we have only had one. I say everyone go out and catch it and lets just let it run its course and all build a natural immunity to it. Sure there will be a few fatal reactions, but it will be done and over. Then we can get back on track to rebuilding the economy and worshiping our savior. Remeber the best vaccine in the universe is to endure the disease and defeat it. you are then immune to it.

So what if the CDC has raised this to a leval 5 not seen in over 50 years. Not a big deal. It's just nature doing its thing.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

I tried to point how this MIGHT be the case, and was accused of fear mongering. So my official response is no, it is not more deadly then anything we have seen before. But remember, flu viruses do mutate and they do run in waves, often circling the globe multiple times. But it should not matter, we will all be fine.

I would just go on with your life as usual.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 PM

I hope I got lucky and picked the right thread this time.......

Alright folks. I'm a good guy, leave a clean life, and am generally sane. But here on these forums I'm being labeled as someone who incites fear mongering. I have detected the pattern and want your input, please.

Here is my take on what is transpiring:

I work from home, that involves a lot of online work. due to this, I always have the news on, sometimes talk radio too. When some news about the swine flu breaks, I leap on here and report it. Most of the time, many of you have not heard the news and therefore begin calling me a liar, or panic junkie etc. Then a few days later, I see those same people posting about the exact same issue I started. Over and over. Meanwhile, I still hold the title of fear monger, junkie. Once a person gets a label, it usually does not go away.

Some of the reports I listed here are preliminary. I.E. they are suspected cases, or suspected situations, not yet confirmed. I can and shall do a better job distinguishing between the two scenarios in the future. For this aspect I apologize. But, I will not apologize for simply reporting what I hear on the news.

I am also finding many of you hear simply do not want to hear about the swine flu and all the possible issues that may arise from it. Classic case of burying one's head in the sand and hope it goes away.

It is of my opinion, that this issue will not go away. I believe it will be a huge issue for us all economically and health wise going forward. You may disagree with this opinion all you like, but please stop the personal attacks.

I am attacked over and over and I responded to just one of those attacks at the same level and was reprimanded for it. So be warned, personal attacks are not allowed on this site. Debate with me, point out how or where you think I'm wrong all you like. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Over and out.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 PM

158 posts, read 399,993 times
Here's some reading material for people on state pandemic preparedness plans. Enjoy.

State Pandemic Plans (http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/stateplans.html - broken link)

Old 04-29-2009, 04:20 PM

6,168 posts, read 13,183,488 times
Default World Health Organization says Pandemic is Imminent

They just raised the alert level to one below pandemic level.

I wish city-data.com would put pandemic information in EACH STATE.

This could be the most important, most useful thing they ever did.

States are now being told to activate their pandemic plans.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:25 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,242,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

Hey buddy,

At this time, it is relatively mild in the States at least. But it's possible it could mutate to a more virulent strain and that is the major concern at this time. Deaths are to be expected, but the mortality rate is very fluid at this time. Thecoming weeks will hopefully give us more answers. Until then, check out the links in the OP and prepare as appropriate for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness