U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 AM

61 posts, read 207,323 times

Advertisements

its not been proven what context it "came from pigs". pigs could have been intentionally infected with it for some reason, 4 all we know....

all it takes is 1 single pig to start the chain reaction. and who know what circumstances started the very first human infection.

US swine are generally vaccinated, Mexican backyard pigs probably aren't.

of course once ppl in mexico started getting sick, they killed the pigs and ate them to get rid of the source of the virus but it was already too late.

Pigs infected with H1N1 SIV usually can not be differentiated from pigs infected with H3N2 SIV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 AM

985 posts, read 2,214,313 times
Karm- Thanks, that makes more sense to me now.

Just fyi guys, on CNN they said there's suspected case in TN now.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:56 AM

61 posts, read 207,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Karm- Thanks, that makes more sense to me now.

Just fyi guys, on CNN they said there's suspected case in TN now.

yikes TN. it good to follow this ongoing SF topic while getting other things done isnt it? its funny to be chatting on several forums but mostly about other stuff than SF all-in-all.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:05 AM

985 posts, read 2,214,313 times
Karm- Yeah, I must admit, I find viruses/diseases highly fascinating. I was extremely ill with an uncommon disease when I was very young (Don't worry, I'm fine and absolutely non contagious) and I think that my interest in different diseases comes from that. I'm not panicking over SF, but I think it's wise to keep an eye on it. And, it's far more interesting than writing my research paper for school lol (which is what I should be doing right now).

Old 04-30-2009, 05:52 AM

10,785 posts, read 14,791,916 times
Should I be worried about getting home from abroad at the beginning of June? I'm studying in England and while the flu hasn't hit England yet, it probably will. On June 6, I have to leave the country as my visa expires and I will not have anywhere to live (uni dorms close and I will not have enough money to stay in a hotel more than a day or two). For financial, academic, and professional reasons, I have no way of returning home before this date.

Someone brought up to me that this may become a problem and I'm panicking.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 AM

6,879 posts, read 17,136,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Biochemistry and I work in state public health. Consider me on the inside.

I'd consider my husband a bit of an insider. He works for MD Anderson Cancer Center (his co-worker in his lab is married to the Director of the Harris County Health Department), and during grad school worked in one of the largest children's diagnostic virology lab in the country. He also teaches second-year microbiology to college students, and they're talking about this very subject right now. He's having to calm a lot of people down in his classes. They don't understand what exactly a pandemic is, or what it means to them here in the US. It's frustrating to know that our government isn't exactly being rational about it themselves and we're wondering why the media isn't talking about the vaccine that is available for another strain of H1N1 that could make the Swine Flu variant much less symptomatic. CDC - 2008-09 Influenza Vaccine Updates (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/flu_vaccine_updates.htm - broken link)

I'm not saying he's more or less qualified than you, so please don't take this the wrong way. I really don't know your background other than biochem. Ph.D., BS, MS? He's not worried about H1N1, so my first thought is, why are you? If you're an insider, what info do you have that he doesn't? It would be good to know! Thanks!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,764,501 times
Just a reminder to stay on topic, and avoid personal attacks. This is the Health and Wellness section... Politics and other Controversies can be found here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Please post accordingly, Thanks!

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 04-30-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,252,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'd consider my husband a bit of an insider. He works for MD Anderson Cancer Center (his co-worker in his lab is married to the Director of the Harris County Health Department), and during grad school worked in one of the largest children's diagnostic virology lab in the country. He also teaches second-year microbiology to college students, and they're talking about this very subject right now. He's having to calm a lot of people down in his classes. They don't understand what exactly a pandemic is, or what it means to them here in the US. It's frustrating to know that our government isn't exactly being rational about it themselves and we're wondering why the media isn't talking about the vaccine that is available for another strain of H1N1 that could make the Swine Flu variant much less symptomatic. CDC - 2008-09 Influenza Vaccine Updates (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/flu_vaccine_updates.htm - broken link)

I'm not saying he's more or less qualified than you, so please don't take this the wrong way. I really don't know your background other than biochem. Ph.D., BS, MS? He's not worried about H1N1, so my first thought is, why are you? If you're an insider, what info do you have that he doesn't? It would be good to know! Thanks!
Hi M2F,

I'm on the inside as in first-to-know at the state and county level. I'm in BT/ID and public health preparedness and response. The issue is not that a mild influenza strain is spreading around the globe necessarily, but that it poses a risk to mutate to a more virulent strain. All hands are on deck at all government levels in public health. We simply don't know where this is headed, but are doing the best we can to mitigate what is now a low level pandemic. No, there is no need to panic, but the need to be vigilant is indeed necessary.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM

8,240 posts, read 14,277,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Since everyone else in making predictions, so will I. This is not intended to incite panic, it is based on past pandemics and what we know about this flu strain. And for the record, the CDC and WHO both predict this WILL be a pandemic!

1. Assuming it does not mutate and keeps its current model of death rate it will kill about 25,000 Americans. It will kill at least 2 million worldwide.

2. If it circles the globe multiple times, as I am predicting it will. Then all bets are off, as it will likely mutate.

During this circling of the globe thing and when it is officially delcared a level 6 pandemic situation, the economies of the world will cease, travel will be banned and the world as we know it will stop. This will actually be what finally stops the virus and will last for a period of 2-3 months. Then we will resume our broken lives at which time new strains will begin to emerge in hot pockets of the world.
So, would you call this "The Rapture"?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,009,391 times
Please note and remember that you are on the computer. I can say I 'm a rocet scienctist. On the cpmputer yoiu can be whoever you want. Some are posting a lot yet say they are in the know. Well whatever I do not believe you because all that are on the inside are not producing panic. Remember what you tell your teen you are talking to strangers on the internet and they may not be who they seem. This is a concern but those speaking on it and I too have family that work in a medical office and they are not concerned. So listen to your common sense when reading things here and listen to the reports of people on TV who are in the office to release them. THe person you asked of his qualifications was on here all day yesterday because I 'm not one to always visit this site but I took a look and found his postings concerning and I was up late and he was still on posting at 1-2 in the morning , so when does he do all this inside work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness