U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 09:27 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,007,692 times

Advertisements

No
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,246,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Please note and remember that you are on the computer. I can say I 'm a rocet scienctist. On the cpmputer yoiu can be whoever you want. Some are posting a lot yet say they are in the know. Well whatever I do not believe you because all that are on the inside are not producing panic. Remember what you tell your teen you are talking to strangers on the internet and they may not be who they seem. This is a concern but those speaking on it and I too have family that work in a medical office and they are not concerned. So listen to your common sense when reading things here and listen to the reports of people on TV who are in the office to release them. THe person you asked of his qualifications was on here all day yesterday because I 'm not one to always visit this site but I took a look and found his postings concerning and I was up late and he was still on posting at 1-2 in the morning , so when does he do all this inside work?
Are you talking about me? I could care less if you question my credentials. Point to ONE post where I have "produced panic"? I'm providing you with official information from official resources. Do with it what you will. Because of the hysteria that is circling the internet for one reason or another, I VOLUNTEER MY TIME here to ensure people are getting accurate and up-to-date information. And you are also telling lies (if you are talking about me) as I was not on here last night at 1am. And even if I was, it's none of your business how I spend my time.

Last edited by carolina_guy; 04-30-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,967,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Will we ever learn to shut the borders to third world countries? You'd not believe the TB coming here on illegal immigrants.
Oh really? And why haven't you been vaccinated against TB?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 AM

United States Department of Health and Human Services

HHS Secretary Sebelius and DHS Secretary Napolitano will host a Webcast to answer questions from the American people regarding the H1N1 flu on Thursday at 1:00 PM EDT. They will be joined by Acting Director of CDC, Dr. Besser. The Webcast can be viewed at United States Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Submit questions for the webcast by emailing hhsstudio@hhs.gov.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 AM

943 posts, read 2,582,923 times
The whole thing seems like the Bird Flu panic of a few years ago. That was going to change our life and put the world into panic. What happened?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:06 AM

Please see OP for the following information updates:

Swine Flu: Information for Concerned Parents and Caregivers

Swine Influenza in Pigs and People Brochure

Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 AM

7,735 posts, read 15,730,331 times
Now that the recession shows some moderate signs of easing and perhaps not developing into a full blow depression, the media NEEDS new stories to depress and/or scare people. Happy people are out living their lives and have no time for watching or reading news reports, and there goes the ad revenue. Gotta find a way to keep em in front of the TV and or clicking on the news sites online. What better way of doing that than getting people to think they might get sick and die.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM

267 posts, read 1,103,887 times
Default First choice title: Staying alive! Why I won't go to the gym during the next 6 days

Second title choice:

Social Dynamic Gone Haywire:

How will the Mexican Flu impact your pick up style (for you pick up artists) - will wearing a surgical mask out in the field crush your game on Friday night when trying to get the girl?

Why I won't be going to the gym for the next six days:

1) Because in 6 days we'll know the utter truth about the Mexican Flu: it'll either come to pass and be on its merry way or it will take hold and become a WHO rated Level 6 global pandemic that'll set the world on fire. Six days is all anyone needs to determine the Mexican Flu's potency. Six days from now - on May 5th - all of us will either be bored out of our minds by the Mexican Flu and ready to body slam anyone who talks about it. Or we'll be in a heightened state of perpetual worry thinking about things like whether or not we really should make out a last will, and whether or not we can trust the delivery driver and food workers who work for Domino's Pizza (you're crazy if you do trust 'em - even when there's no Mexican Flu to contend with).

2) Because I'm going to stay home and do my workout or I'll do it at my favorite park which is fine by me 'cause I like being outdoors in the fresh air.

3) Because the gym may not - and is not - germ free: despite the governor of California declaring a state of emergency due to the Mexican Flu (yes, the Terminator did do that), brainless newscasters on local FOX News told the students at San Diego State University to go ahead and go to the gym because THE GYM IS CLEAN. Now there's a stupid statement for ya. According to whose standards, your mothers?!?! As if the gym is cleaned around the clock! No it isn't. As if your mother inspects it twice a day. No she doesn't. What if the janitor is not a good worker, but is instead someone who's perfunctory (cuts corners), or worse, a bad worker who cuts corners and then when the boss isn't around he slacks off big time by taking a longer break, a longer lunch and then sits on the toilet for an hour talking on his cell phone when he's supposed to be cleaning. YOU might trust people you don't know, but I don't. And anyone who does place their trust in the hands of a stranger when their lives are - potentially at risk - is a dumb person I don't want in my tent. Last of all, what if the janitor who's cleaning the gym has the Mexican Flu?

4) Because I 'm a gym rat and I know gym rats. Some gym rats are like heroin addicts. They need their fix. They can't stand the idea of losing an ounce of muscle due to 1 or 2 days of inactivity - even though they won't lose any muscle due to 1 or 2 days of forced inactivity. That form of delusion is the nature of their disease: muscle dysmorphia. Muscle atrophy is anathema to the gym rat. They get depressed when they can't lift weights or run on the treadmill. Look, there are, figuratively speaking, a thousand threads on the Internet (Bodybuilding.com, EliteFitness.com, GetBig.com, etc) that have a title like, 'I'm sick but I want to work out. Can I go to the gym to workout when I'm sick or should I stay home?'

5) Because I notice when I am sick (which I hardly ever am, last time I got sick was 4 years ago) at the time I got sick I noticed there was a good chance that I got sick while at the gym. That assessment is speculative and not to be confused with an exact diagnosis, but still, my intuition is pretty good about certain things, especially things regarding my body...it's a knack I have.

6) Because some health officials think your immune system is lower - or drops a little - when you're working out, making your body more susceptible to contracting something foul. Since we're talking about life and death...F~ the gym for the next seven days!

7) Because six days away from the gym won't kill me. I know how to do an exercise routine that's AKA a prison routine, a perfect routine that I developed a few years back when the potential threat of the Bird Flu pandemic had a lot of people like me concerned about a worst case scenrio unfolding. It's a routine that's taylor made for post Hurricane Katrina situations, or any situation that causes the gyms around town to lock their door due to a race riot, an attack by Al-qaeda or whatever. It's a routine that you can do in a prison cell.

8) Because I'm going to embrace the Mexican Flu by drinking the Mexican Flu on Cinco De Mayo...at my place: Mexican Flu Shot drink recipe

9) Because at a time of crisis (or near crisis) you gotta think for yourself, be intuitive, have a weapon or two (long rifles, handguns, knives) and then some...because stupid newscasters like those at local FOX News San Diego are just that, stupid. So think for yourself when mother nature or mankind itself boxes you in a corner and remember the lessons you learned from Hurricane Katrina and the '95 Oklahoma City bombing.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:05 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,331,970 times
I think the common denominator in all this mess, is nobody knows where this will all lead and how it will end. Right now, most people who catch it are surviving. Most have mild to semi-severe symptosm. But we also know history and history tells us, this virus has the same elements and potential as past pandemics did. If you read the post on the history of the 1918 flu, you will see why and how, if this thing mutates just a little, it can turn into a whole new ballgame.

During the 1918 pandemic, most people do not realize it actually lasted almost three years. People did not die from the flu, they died a horrible swift and painful death from their immune system's own reaction. Basically most people died from one of three scenarios. 1. Their lungs filled with fluid, not bacterial, but simple fluids produced from an immune system reaction, and then they drowned. Many who died this was, were symptom free in the morning and dead by nighfall. That fast. This is the scenario that caused healthy young people to die at the highest percentage.

2. Others died by developing severe intestinal issues to the point that their internals literally erroded and they bled to death. 3.Others who did not have the severe immune reaction died from a bacterial infection.

Bottom line, don't catch it, cause you never know. Watch the news and if you start hearing reports that a higher percentage of people are starting to die, take action, stay home! If you hear reports about immune reaction being the cause of death, then it has become very serious.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,331,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Are you talking about me? I could care less if you question my credentials. Point to ONE post where I have "produced panic"? I'm providing you with official information from official resources. Do with it what you will. Because of the hysteria that is circling the internet for one reason or another, I VOLUNTEER MY TIME here to ensure people are getting accurate and up-to-date information. And you are also telling lies (if you are talking about me) as I was not on here last night at 1am. And even if I was, it's none of your business how I spend my time.
I'll try and respond here without this crossing the line of being a personal attack. But the poster in question simply does not wish for us to discuss this issue. She probably has her own personal reasons for this, I'm not sure why. I think it is prudent, valued, and informative to discuss it and am thankful we have a venue to do that here. Each of has our own level of concern over this pandemic situation, but screaming at others to stop discussing it, is just plain unfair. It is the topic of the day and likely will be for some time to come, unfortunately.

We need to keep each other informed of breaking news and this is a great place to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness