U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,331,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
The Grim Reaper is coming to get you one day, whether you like it or not.
Sure it is, but it is also human nature to try and survive for as long as one can. We all have our day to die, I'll be damned if any swiny virus takes me out.

I have the bio hazard suits cause I worked for a short period of time in aspestos removal, still have all the gear. I'm prepared.

If it is spotty, here and there, I'll just use the n-95 mask, if it is widespread and people are dying in the streets, I'll gear up all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,496,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
An H1N1 virus was in this year's flu vaccine and the proper annotation for it is "A/Brisbane/59/2007(H1N1)-like virus". CDC - 2008-09 Influenza Vaccine Updates (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/flu_vaccine_updates.htm - broken link) According to the CDC, the vaccine "can make your illness milder if you get a related but different influenza virus strain." Among other things, this was a strain first isolated in Brisbane in 2007, kind of like what's happening now. The current outbreak is being caused by a slightly different virus than that one and will probably have a different designation based on origin.

Wonder why this isn't being discussed in the media? Hmmm. One can only speculate.

For anyone wondering why so-called "healthy" adults have died in Mexico...it's MEXICO. Not exactly health central, unless you are one of the privileged few. I'd be interested in knowing each of the patients' history along with their socioeconomic status. Mexico, especially Mexico City, is rife with poverty, and where you have poverty, you have poor healthcare.

I don't see where it says that anywhere. I've read numerous times from the CDC that it DOES NOT protect against this strain. Yes it contains (The A flu) but it offers no support.

I also read that the ONE kid that died in the US WAS VACCINATED. . .

Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM

12,172 posts, read 14,207,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
This flu is treatable with Tamiflu and Relenza. Vaccines do not treat anything. The regular flu kills many more then this flu thus far... Most of the Americans that have contracted this flu have gone untreated...AND LIVED.
Wait a few weeks then return to read your post. Operative words, "thus far."

Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,245,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
An H1N1 virus was in this year's flu vaccine and the proper annotation for it is "A/Brisbane/59/2007(H1N1)-like virus". CDC - 2008-09 Influenza Vaccine Updates (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/flu_vaccine_updates.htm - broken link) According to the CDC, the vaccine "can make your illness milder if you get a related but different influenza virus strain." Among other things, this was a strain first isolated in Brisbane in 2007, kind of like what's happening now. The current outbreak is being caused by a slightly different virus than that one and will probably have a different designation based on origin.
This is misleading as the link says NOTHING about this suspected NOVEL strain of H1N1.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:05 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,006,948 times
After reading some of your post here the last few days, I have to say this. Some people for what ever their issues are love panic and drama. I think you Carolina Cowboy are one of those and feel very comfortable in that. Most people however don't. I think you like to post things that you know will get a response and hope people ask you questions. I see many people today that are starting to calm down from this flu , perhaps just tried of hearing about it. It is easy to get caught up in it. I actually on the news today from people who know have heard some encouraging things and I see some on here reported that. I happy to hear it.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:15 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,528,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I read on WHO and CDC and a couple other places that there were actually less than 100 cases in Mexico and only 9 of them died. And in the US there are 91 cases and only 1 has died.

Many of the confirmed cases so many speek of are mere speculation and not true at all.

That one that died was a Mexican citizen who came into the country on April 4th already sick and had been in the hospital in Brownsville, Texas. According to the article he also had other health issues. As of today it seems as those who are getting sick in the US are getting well. For those of you who have never been to Mexico it can be very nasty there and I can understand why viruses would spread. But it turns out that there are not as many confirmed deaths as orginally reported. Just be diligent, wash your hands(which you should be doing anyway) stay away from people who are coughing or sneezing and if you get sick stay home. At this point and time since there is no vaccine for this there is not much more you can do.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM

6,879 posts, read 17,120,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
This is misleading as the link says NOTHING about this suspected NOVEL strain of H1N1.
There's nothing misleading about it. This is common with several-ahem-"novel" variants of similar serotypes. It's not going to prevent anyone from getting it--I never said that--but it is likely that if someone has been innoculated with this year's flu vaccine--that it will lessen symptoms. Being in biochemistry, you should know that the odds are fairly good it will indeed do just what the CDC says. Novel just means unknown as far as epidemiology. The fact that Swine Flu has been around in some way since 1930 probably helps.

But then, I'm not the doctor--my husband is. Are you?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,307 posts, read 11,094,091 times
The reason we seem to see fewer and fewer deaths from Mexico is simply that they've shifted to only counting lab confirmed cases and deaths, and they're not testing many of the probables and possibles. Also WHO and CDC have stopped publishing anything but lab-confirmed.

The reasons for that are obvious. Mexico stands to lose a lot of money if everyone panics and all the tourists stay away.

Here's a site which illustrates the difference between confirmed and probable/suspected: Global Incident Map Displaying Outbreaks Of All Varieties Of Diseases#

For whatever reason it's not working for Mexico at this time - perhaps because solid information isn't available - but it's still useful.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:35 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,006,948 times
I heard the same thing today on the news. They said if you had the Flu shot this year it won't keep you from hetting this but could reduce it somewhat so I heard the same thing.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:02 PM

3,866 posts, read 9,620,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Okay, now that the CDC states that the cat is out of box and its not going back in, we have to prepare. This nasty bug is killing about 11% of those who catch it. The highest percentage are those in their prime state of health as the immune system over reacts, rendering a deadly reaction.

FALSE The virulence is completely unknown at this point and was when you posted this

This flue is VERY unique and never seen before and is still mutating and evolving and likely will evolve into something far more deadly. It has an old harsh form of the pig or swine flu, combined with bird flu AND human flu viruses. It can jump from human to human and lives outside its host for 96 hours, or more!

FALSETry 2 hours CDC H1N1 Flu | Swine Flu and You

This is likely going to be a BIG one that we in the Triangle WILL have to deal with. Health officials expect this nasty bugger to spready around the world within the next 2-12 days.

FALSE Hasn't happened

To protect yourself, you will need a high quality surgical mask, or high particulate mask like a car painter wears. Respirator. And, you will need to wear it at all times while out in the public and outside your home.

You will also need to avoid touching your face and use alcohol sanitizer each time you touch a foreign surface.

Prepare or, or get sick and die.

Call the local school board and ask them to close down the schools until this thing blows over. Schools typically are the culprits in spreading these things faster wild fire. This because the kids catch and it bring it home to the rest of the family. Schools should be closed at once! It will arrive, it is already in 9 states, why wait?

FALSE

We do indeed live in interesting times..........

You asked for it, you got it man.....

I'll be more than happy to go through all your posts and point ALL your inaccuracies.....and there are many
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness