U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 06:19 AM

43,012 posts, read 83,631,049 times

Advertisements

It's good news, but the other viruses might have been the same in their first waves.

I'm still going to continue with good health hygiene. There's nothing paranoid about not sharing food, etc. That's the way we're supposed to be all the time anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 06:31 AM

43,012 posts, read 83,631,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Healthcare? or Healthcare system?
We do have the best healthcare.
We might not have the best system, and this is open for discussion.
Best healthcare compared to which country? Mexico? Sure. But to say we're have the best healthcare isn't logical because 'best healthcare' is too subjective even when you take the system out of the equation.

As for healthcare SYSTEMS, WHO ranks the US 37th globally: The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

Old 05-01-2009, 06:53 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,764,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Aren't we supposed to be posting everything to do with the flu in the sticky rather than starting new threads???
Only if there is a link to confirm the claim... in this case it belongs in one of the existing non-sticky threads.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,537,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's good news, but the other viruses might have been the same in their first waves.

I'm still going to continue with good health hygiene. There's nothing paranoid about not sharing food, etc. That's the way we're supposed to be all the time anyway.

This is what I keep thinking, we need to practice good hygiene all the time not just now.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,970,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not talking about current deaths. I'm talking about the potential over the next two years IF it comes in waves as WHO fears.
Uh huh. Paranoia and television ratings. As flus go, this one is quite mild.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Doi you really think that the WHO reports are useful to judge how bad it is? Doesn't their reports conflict with their stage at this point?On a note about our governments actions. I saw a Tv report at a crossing which stated that our agents were not allowed to wear mask when in contact with the public except when they saw a suspected person. Then you could see mexican border agents checking the same people wearing their mask. When the policy was revealed the government quickly changed the order to allow our agents to wear their mask. This is a government we are supposed to have confidence in?Worried more about how things look than reality and danger to their personell. You really have to wander about the competitance of people making such decisions. The look at homeland securities statement on our passive observations and when called on it changing the term to active observation Politcal correctness interferring with reality. Biden got in trouble for basically saying what he thought altho it may not have been wise but it was I am sure what he actaully thought.It was later politcally corrected as to what he really meant by the press secretary. Give us a break we are not stupid.
But don't you know we don't want to offend anyone because we are just nice like that. My hubby is a border agent and they frequently check the buses bringing tourists across and they are making the people get off the bus so they can check their paperwork as opposed to our agents getting on an enclosed bus. They will never shut down the border because of the millions of dollars in commerce that comes across each day and they have already used the excuse that it is to late since the virus is already here. I thought it sucked they made Biden correct what he said, I thought he was right. But they do think we are stupid, since we let them get away with so much they figure we must be stupid.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
So, do you think we have stellar heathcare in the U.S.?
Better healthcare than Mexico considering there are stories coming out of Mexico where people are saying they were refused care. I doubt very seriously if anyone in the US would be turned away. I still maintain Mexico is very 3rd world in health care and cleanliness once you get away from the resort spots it is a very different world in Mexico, we think our poor are poor here you should see the poor there, living in cardboard houses because they can't get anything else. No wonder the flu has spread like it has.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,970,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The actual number of cases is vastly greater than the official number of confirmed cases. Does anyone SERIOUSLY believe that Mexico would have shut down half its economy over the six confirmed deaths?!

WHO and CDC and the state labs don't put a high priority on counting cases:
OMG EVERYBODY PANIC! Come on, people...use your heads. Just practice normal everyday sanitation that you should be using already, and don't worry about it.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,333,951 times
Carolinaguy, could I get your professional comments on this, specifically the last paragraph below?

Since the topic of mutation came up in the past few posts, I would like to ask the expert here a few questions about this. I am curious too, why the CDC and WHO are taking this strain of the virus so incredibly serious when all it has yielded is a few death and seemingly mild symptoms. I read the entire history, over a 90 page article, on the pandemic of 1918. It became apparent to me, that people these days just have no idea, none at all, as to what could possibly transpire.

So with that being said here is what the radio show I listened to a few days ago implied might be the reason why this one is being handled so differently.

The bird flu (Avian) killed about 60% of those who caught it this we know as fact, but the only way it was caught back in 2002 was directly from birds. Now you add an element of human virus and it can be caught human to human. But right now the bird virus part is minimal so it is not 60% deadly. But what happens if the Avian portion of this trio mutates and again becomes super deadly using the human strain to jump human to human? The radio show implied this is a very possible scenario. Not that it will happen, but it could and the host implied this is why this one is being taken so seriously. Not because of what it is now, but what the makeup of this virus has built in to it, could become.

Your thoughts?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,252,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Carolinaguy, could I get your professional comments on this, specifically the last paragraph below?

Since the topic of mutation came up in the past few posts, I would like to ask the expert here a few questions about this. I am curious too, why the CDC and WHO are taking this strain of the virus so incredibly serious when all it has yielded is a few death and seemingly mild symptoms. I read the entire history, over a 90 page article, on the pandemic of 1918. It became apparent to me, that people these days just have no idea, none at all, as to what could possibly transpire.

So with that being said here is what the radio show I listened to a few days ago implied might be the reason why this one is being handled so differently.

The bird flu (Avian) killed about 60% of those who caught it this we know as fact, but the only way it was caught back in 2002 was directly from birds. Now you add an element of human virus and it can be caught human to human. But right now the bird virus part is minimal so it is not 60% deadly. But what happens if the Avian portion of this trio mutates and again becomes super deadly using the human strain to jump human to human? The radio show implied this is a very possible scenario. Not that it will happen, but it could and the host implied this is why this one is being taken so seriously. Not because of what it is now, but what the makeup of this virus has built in to it, could become.

Your thoughts?
That's pretty much the case.

Basically,

with H5N1, you have the virulence but not the H2H to cause a deadly pandemic.

with H1N1 we are seeing, we have the H2H but not the virulence.

In either influenza, the fear is mutation to either mutate to more virulent strain in the case of H1N1, or mutate to a strain that is transmissible H2H as in the case of H5N1.

Does that help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness