U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,478,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maybe.

Many of those identified in the US were treated with Tamiflu and they didn't die.

The little Mexican boy who died in Texas didn't receive medical care right away.

But maybe not.

Maybe it's just receiving medical treatment----period.

The first death in Mexico might have lived if she had been put on a respirator.

Authorities will be better able to answer these questions if more people die---they'll have more cases to study.

So hopefully we'll never know the answer.
The cause of death in most of these cases is caused by a healthy immune system over reacting, not from the flu itself. your immune system reacts forcing a dramtic reaction and pumps the lungs and chest area with fluids. You essientally drown to death.

This has nothing to do with being in a poor country with lacking health standards. The healthier you are, the more likely you are to die from this. And this is true of past flu pandemics.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 PM

74,367 posts, read 34,468,271 times
I found a translated article on the situation in Egypt. They are fighting unknowns here..Avian flu and possible swine flu.

I applaud them for taking the action they did given their situation. I'm an animal lover myself but tough times call for tough decisions.

Those of you who think Egypt made a stupid decision..please read the article. It looks like they have more than 5 cases now of human Avian flu.

Remember..this is a google translated article so it doesn't read all that smooth
Translated version of http://dostor.org/ar/content/view/21304/30/

Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,152,117 times
Swine may be like ‚€˜ordinary flus‚€™ - Swine flu- msnbc.com

I just read this on msnbc and thought it was interesting, maybe it will calm some of the panic that is being experienced, since the CDC says it lacks the genes that made the outbreak in 1918 so deadly.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:45 PM

6,866 posts, read 12,617,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Yes, very much so. But, what is the realistic possibility that could happen, and how does this happen? During the 1918 flu, it started mild, like this one but mutated.

It is amazing to me that nobody is really discussing the fact that this trio of virus strains encompasses Avian flu in it. If is jumps to become the dominant element in this circulating virus, all bets are off.

Savage said in his professional opinion, the longer this virus circulates around the globe, the more likely this is to happen. History has shown that viruses that thrive globally for more then a few months, usually show evidence of major mutations.

I think they need to do more to stop this thing now. Why did Mexico essentially shut their entire country down for 6 deaths? And we are going on, business as usual?

I know which show you heard--I heard it too, and was shocked. Essentially, any trace of credibility he might have had in my eyes is totally gone. A Ph.D. in nutrition does not a swine flu expert make. Ay-yi-yi. Talk about misinformation and potential to make people freak out...

Old 05-01-2009, 04:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 23,887,359 times
This is a "Non" story. It is nothing more than media hype.

Also, as Summer progresses, and it gets warmer, Flu cases DECLINE.

Anyone who is "panicking" is being very foolish and are totally uniformed IMHO

Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,478,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
This is a "Non" story. It is nothing more than media hype.

Also, as Summer progresses, and it gets warmer, Flu cases DECLINE.

Anyone who is "panicking" is being very foolish and are totally uniformed IMHO
Since when does discussing something, trying to educate one's self and be informed about a POTENTIAL pandemic, equate to panic?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 23,887,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Since when does discussing something, trying to educate one's self and be informed about a POTENTIAL pandemic, equate to panic?
Discussing and learning is one thing.

Trying to inflate the situation to a "pandemic" is totally ridiculous IMO - there is no "pandemic".

If you want to try to suggest that is current issue is a "pandemic", then to be fair, every flu season - every year, should also be called a "pandemic" as the "normal" flu is more widespread, impacts 10's of 1000's more people, results in 1000's more death than this .... "whatever".

There is no Pandemic here. NOT EVEN CLOSE>

Old 05-01-2009, 04:47 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,251,214 times
I agree but as you might have guess some people who post don't want to just discuss the fact its the hype that interests them. Today just like several days ago it is the Flu. Yes more are getting sick but is everyone dying. No. I heard that that actually thought it would spread faster but it isn't. When someone gets it they said it seem to slow down and not pass to another person like the usual Flu does, so that is good news. Take the weekend off

Old 05-01-2009, 04:54 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,867,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
What really pisses me off are posts like these....the moment people start to discuss issues as such, someone always comes in and accusses people of panicing...no one is panicing, we're simply giving our opinions for God's Sake.
So let it **** you off, so what? What pisses me off is people unthinkingly spreading inaccuracies, rumors, and flat out lies in an attempt to garner attention and create fear and panic.

And yeah, there's plenty of all of that in this thread, including panicking sheeple.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:48 PM

6,270 posts, read 12,206,807 times
SO true!!
Some people thrive on negativity. It's their thing.
I like a positive attitude and surround myself with positive people. I don't have enough time left on this earth to be around negative vibes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Discussing and learning is one thing.

Trying to inflate the situation to a "pandemic" is totally ridiculous IMO - there is no "pandemic".

If you want to try to suggest that is current issue is a "pandemic", then to be fair, every flu season - every year, should also be called a "pandemic" as the "normal" flu is more widespread, impacts 10's of 1000's more people, results in 1000's more death than this .... "whatever".

There is no Pandemic here. NOT EVEN CLOSE>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness