Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,932 times

Advertisements

i will fly to hong kong from seattle
my parents and friends told me to wear mask while in the plane
i think that is kinda silly
how to wearing mask while eating and sleeping?
how do u think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,509 times
"N95" is the U.S. National Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH) standard that specifies a mask that will trap 95 percent of particles 0.3 microns or larger. A sneeze or cough generates a droplet about 4 microns or larger. An influenza virus is .1 microns in size, way too small to be trapped by a mask." . . source (http://www.zdnetasia.com/blogs/bcp/0,3800011228,61955201,00.htm - broken link)

CDC . . Facemasks And Respirators

Influenza virus transmission

Old 05-03-2009, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,932 times
icic, then i wont wash of money to buy masks. thx!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:58 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83plk83 View Post
i will fly to hong kong from seattle
my parents and friends told me to wear mask while in the plane
i think that is kinda silly
how to wearing mask while eating and sleeping?
how do u think?

This is what the doctors teating swine flu patients look like. It should yield a big clue

Swine Flu - Yahoo! News Photos

Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Like I said in another thread, I think the fear mongering should stop -- it's not helping anyone. The media are guilty of this, some politicians are guilty of this (particularly the VP himself) and many individuals are guilty of this, including a few forumers on CD.

Just give people the FACTS, tell them what to do if they happen to get sick and for now, the message should be "don't panic". We have a far better chance of containing this than we did in 1918, when the most recent flu pandemic occurred. Don't forget, that was a long time ago, World War I was still going on and many people had far more limited access to healthcare, medication and information.

Look, bash me all you want, but I just don't think we should be hitting the panic button yet.
My last post was a fact, all of it. Too bad people like you will call it fear mongering. Read the history on pandemic visruses, then tell me or anyone else who is concered that we are wrong. I've logged over 62 hours of reading on the subject and fully understand why they are taking this one seriously. You should do the same, before casting judegment on others and the government. They know, this thing will spiral out of control, if it gets into the winter months without containment.

Educate yourself, or get out the way and leave the open discussion for the rest us who wish to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
The most noted news from today's press conference by the CDC:

1. There are 220 CONFIRMED cases, of those 33 are hospitalized. That is a pretty high percentage needing hospitalization

2. They admited although there are only 220 CONFIRMED cases in 30 states, they feel it is wide spread across the country and likely present in most all states.

3. They also confirmed their worries. That although right now this appears to be semi-mild, the longer it sticks around, the more likely it will mutate and turn more deadly. The biggest fear is heading into fall, with this viru still circulating. Viruses traditionally gain strength and are more likely to mutate in the fall and winter.

If you watched the press conference, you will know all this to be true. So don't start crapola about starting panic again!

This mess is FAR from being over.
The only "mess" is the overblown hype being perpetrated by the media and those gullible enough to follow along....

In terms of Public Health implications I would put it on the scale of diaper rash...

Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Proof they don't test everyone with flu symptoms: Reporter Tries to Get Tested for Swine Flu - WSJ.com

Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Scams: Um, No, Herbal Supplements Will Not Fight Swine Flu

For every fear, people will try to get rich on it by selling snake oil to cure it.

I have to say the guy who OD'd on silver seems to not get infections, from the news report awhile ago, though they keep testing him for organ failure and he's pretty easy to find in a crowd of people.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
This whole thing is a joke. I can't believe that ppl are buying into the mass medias fear mongering BS campaign. Blaming pigs, blaming birds and even blaming illegals is pathetic. The only ones benifitting from this are the makers of tamiflu who will sell the remaining stock to the same idiots who bought into the bird flu hype.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
This whole thing is a joke. I can't believe that ppl are buying into the mass medias fear mongering BS campaign. Blaming pigs, blaming birds and even blaming illegals is pathetic. The only ones benifitting from this are the makers of tamiflu who will sell the remaining stock to the same idiots who bought into the bird flu hype.
Do you realize you sound as paranoid as you portray everyone else?

Yeah, right, the pharmacutical companies are in bed with the media.

Conspiracy therories abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness