Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times

Advertisements

I don't usually post on this thread but yesterday took a look because of this flu. I found several thread with posting that they think are educating people but really promote panic and doom and mabe that is what the posters like to do. I don't and many of you from your reps or messages feel the same. So this thread isn't to post pages of info about a flu that if you hear about once you get it. It is to share what you might be doing in yoir home or not. What it isn't is a thread about Flu of the passed, how many people this COULD kill or is this the end of the world. So I 'm in NOrth Carolina no cases comfirmed here. I bought sanitizer, watch the reports on the TV by the people in the health field. Read info by my sons school. Washing hands if we do go out. THat is it, I 'm not changing what my plans are at this point and as a Christian I pray that people who are ill get over it quick as I hear they are and that this comes and goes as other Flu bugs have. So if you have tips that are not over the top or you are doing with your family and kids share. or things that schools have put out that is really preactical info share. Life is too short already to sit and wait for bad things to happen, educate and live your life.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
In our family we are doing the following:

* stressing the importance of not sharing food or personal items (like cosmetics)

* avoiding contained areas where people gather

* washing our hands frequently

* using hand sanitizer when soap & water aren't available

* being extra vigilant about cleanliness in our kitchen & bathrooms

* keeping our hands away from our faces

Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Letting people know info on this is NOT panic although if you are a drama queen I could see where it could be thought to be panic!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:41 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Letting people know info on this is NOT panic although if you are a drama queen I could see where it could be thought to be panic!
Problem is, there is too much incorrect or sensationalistic info being spread.

What am I doing? Absolutely nothing more than I already do every day, because I already practice good sanitation by always washing my hands and not sticking my fingers in my mouth, nose, or eyes, and I don't share personal items with anyone other than my significant other, whom -- let's face it -- would pass on anything he had to me anyway because of our close daily contact.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
* Not sharing food or drinks

* Disinfecting household doornobs, water handles, remotes, keyboards and mice, toilet handle, phones, cell phones (any handles or items people touch regularly) with lysol wipes once a day (it literally just takes 2 minutes to do the whole house) and disinfecting the toilets and sinks once a day. (If someone in my house gets sick, I'll follow the recommendations of keeping them isolated in one room and disinfecting anything they touch.)

* Washing hands frequently, not just after being out. I wash my hands before I sit down at my desk---it's my germ free zone at work.

* Driving to work instead of taking public transportation

* Not touching face with hands---especially nose, mouth & eyes

* Using my knuckle to press elevator buttons instead of my finger --- being aware of letting one hand be my dirty hand and keeping one hand sanitary at all times

* Using my shirt sleeve or forearm to open public doors when possible

* Eliminating frequent stops at convenience stores by buying everything I need grocery shopping once a week. (I hate that convenience store clerks handle merchandise to scan)

* Use self scan checkout at the grocery store

* Preparing my lunch at home instead eating out at work (it's saving me a fortune too!)

* As for family in my household, I'm mostly just encouraging everyone to wash their hands more often and not share food and drinks. That's about it.

I'm still going about my life as normal really. I drive to work in the winter anyway. I just decided to extend my driving for a while longer instead of taking public transportation like I usually do in the Spring. I drive in the winter because I don't like waiting at bus stops in the cold. I'm a wimp when it comes to bad weather.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
There is already a thread for this. It is a sticky at the top of the health subject. It is for factual based updates, information and so on.

There is also another thread, a few below it, for non-confirmed discussion about the swine flu. So both topic areas are already covered and this thread is redundant. I believe the forum moderator requested we post the two related topics in one of those two threads.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
So far the flu is milder than the usual flu. I could care less if I get swine flu or not.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,468 times
Please read the *sticky* thread at the top of the forum. Moderator Note Regarding Swine Flu topics, Please read BEFORE posting.

Thank-You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness