Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,298 times

Advertisements

(I know there is another thread about toxic carpet, but my question is a little different)

My mother and I are both chemically sensative. We had the same carpet for over 10 years and plan to move soon, so we needed a new carpet. We didn't want hardwood/tile because my mom has bad feet.

So, we got the new carpet 3 weeks ago. It was bad the first few days so we went out of town. We used baking soda to get rid of the smell. We leave the windows open 24/7 and the fan running.

We still feel it may be toxic, i don't know if it's in our heads or what. We aren't SICK sick, but I've been reading up on new carpets and from what I gather, they are toxic.

Is there anything we can do at this point to get rid of the toxins quicker? We had the carpet steam cleaned the day after it was put in (I know that doesn't get rid of everything).

We have a hepa filter, plants, etc...

We feel it at night mostly that it may be toxic. Is there a test I can buy or use to see how toxic the carpet/house is? Is there an at home test?

I've heard using the heater outgasses some of the toxins, is this correct?

I've looked online, but can really only find people trying to sell different products. I am just wondering if there is a quicker way to get rid of the toxins besides having all the windows open? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 AM

466 posts, read 928,955 times
If you have a multiple chemical sensitivity you should NOT have carpeting in your house.

In your case with your mother's bad feet she could wear good shoes instead. Too late now.... so,
you have to air out the house. Some say it takes 3 months to a year for the formaldehyde to leave the carpeting. There are other chemicals in carpeting that off-gas forever.

My suggestion to anyone with MCS is to supplement with Magnesium, 800 mg a day. (it does work) along with a diet void of exitotoxins such as Aspartame, MSG and Fluoride.

Eat lots of Spinach and dark meat chicken (for taurine) and no caffeine. You will never notice a chemical smell again and you can move on to smelling fresh cut grass, flowers and apple pie.

try it ! !

Old 05-05-2009, 07:33 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I would look into getting some used carpet in good condition and have that new stuff put somewhere where it could air out and age until there was no more toxity left in it (if that is possiable).. Reading about these problems others are having.. I now know I will never have new carpet put in... I will go witrh area rugs once I am rid of what carpet I have..

I never liked carpet anyway. To me it is the nastiest thing ever invented. I like a floor I can MOP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness