Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 12,566 times

Advertisements

Let me get straight to the point. I am a 25 year old virgin and for years now have been told that I should see a gynecologist. I am afraid no wait terrified. I tried using tampoons and it hurt. I don't know what to do. I dont know whether I should go to one or not. So if you have any advice feel free to let me in on it. Thanxs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Well I suppose you should be having pap smears done and mammograms (which you can get a mammogram done by just calling and making an appointment at a lab that does them). As long as you are not having any problems, the odds are in your favor you are fine. I would possibly find a lady GYN and talk with her first about your situation and your fears. I am sure being female she will take it slow and be gentle.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:51 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganknight View Post
Let me get straight to the point. I am a 25 year old virgin and for years now have been told that I should see a gynecologist. I am afraid no wait terrified. I tried using tampoons and it hurt. I don't know what to do. I dont know whether I should go to one or not. So if you have any advice feel free to let me in on it. Thanxs
Go and get it over with.
You are going to have to go anyway, why put it off?

There may be a reason why you can't use tampons and they can tell you.
The exam is not painful. I don't use tampons any more either, wearing a tampon is nothing like getting an exam.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:22 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
You should be having pap spears although I don't think they will have you do a mammogram at 25. Nobody really likes going though so you certainly aren't alone

Old 05-09-2009, 07:36 PM

433 posts, read 1,769,626 times
You could have 20 pap smears and you never look forward to the next one. The first one is the worst because it is so scary but when it is over it isn't a big deal. The doctor is very quick because she knows you don't want to be there. It is very easy and painless. Just make the appointment and explain how nervous you are. They will totally understand and explain everything. It is important for your health that you go. You should have an exam once a year.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
Let them know you are a virgin and they will be extra careful! I know it is scary as all get out to go have this done, but it is something that will benefit you healthwise. Also know, you will not be in the room alone with the dr. there is a nurse that stays right there with you guys. Believe me, Dr's understand the embarrassment associated with this and go out of their way to make you feel at ease. My dr usually asks me questions about my life, my kids, ets to get my mind off what he is doing. The procedure is over almost most quickly and usually does not hurt.

best of luck to you....

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 PM

324 posts, read 862,576 times
Ideally women should get a GYN exam at age 21 or 3 years after "sexual debut" or whichever comes first. Perhaps you may be more comfortable with a female OBGYN- it really isn't as bad as you imagine it. They can use a pediatric speculum which is smaller, just let them know...Just remember to breathe through it all ...

Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Virginity is not reason to avoid the gynecologist. If you remain a virgin forever, you'll still need to go to the gyn eventually. Your health is too important.

btw, if tampons hurt, you're not putting them in correctly. I had a friend who was in her mid-thirties, married with children, and she was putting hers in wrong her entire life. Do you know anyone who can explain how to use them to you?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganknight View Post
Since you've never had sex and have not used tampons in the past your hymen is still intact. And you're also probably fairly small ... you haven't had sex, no baby, etc.
Also, i used tampons for years but i'm pretty sure that my hymen was intact until i lost my virginity but i'm not sure about this for various reasons that i won't go into.
Also, you seem very tense (physically and mentally and emotionally) so the insertion of a tampon will take some time and patience. It hurts a little bit at first and the more tense and tight you are the more uncomfortable it is.
It took me two days to finally be able to insert a tampon but i persisted as i couldn't imagine using pads and pads only.
If you want to use tampons just relax and take it slow. Use some lubrication (a sexual lubricant perhaps) if necessary.
I use only organic tampons. The cotton in almost all tampons is not organic. Cotton is full of pesticides and the standards for cotton, because it's not a food item, are much worse than that of food regarding pesticides, etc.
Find organic tampons at any health food stores. There are even some regular markets that are carrying organic brands now. Yay!!!
When your hymen breaks there will be a little bit of bleeding. Don't freak out! It's o.k. ... natural.
Relax. Go to a gyno when you're ready.
If i were you and there was no emergency i'd wait to see a gynecologist until you've experienced your own vagina in the way i described above ... or have lost your virginity.
The hymen will also break if you .... ummmmmm .... pleasure yourself as though you're having intercourse if you know what i mean.
Whatever you do, be gentle, loving, relaxed and know that you're just experiencing what most of us have when we were young teens and you're just a bit older.
Also, when and if it's time to see a gyno, i suggest seeing a woman M.D. and one that you feel very comfortable with.
If you're a virgin because of your religion perhaps find a female gynecologist that shares your beliefs and is understanding about your virginal status.
Don't freak out. Relax.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,291 times
You should be getting a pap smear and exam regardless if you are having sex or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness