Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:01 PM

103 posts, read 399,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Actually, the biggest problem is that most of us have office jobs and long commutes which leads to a lot of time not moving. Yes watching your caloric intake helps, but exercise is absolutely needed to get and stay in shape.
CESpeed is right. Women do have slower metabolism than men, but at the end of the day being overweight or obese is a problem for both men and women. There are fat people in Europe and Asia, and there seems to be a strong direct correlation between weight and economic progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i dont think its a girl thing, i think its an american thing.
1 in 3 americans obese
1 in 4 american kids obese
1 in 10 french people obese.
rush limbaugh & rosie o'donnell
the new americans

Old 05-10-2009, 03:05 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
So I am wondering are most women destined to be overweight at some point in their lives? Is it something that is out of there control, and most people just accept there bodies the way they are?
No. They are not destined & it is not beyond their control. It's lifestyle over genetics, IMO.

American culture has promoted eating large quantities of unhealthy, processed food & a sedentary lifestyle using cars to get everywhere & sedentary activities like watching TV. You have to make a conscious effort to move & eat well - I know how hard it is in this society, but it can be done.

MEN also have the same problem. Most MEN are also overweight in this country too. It's not an issue exclusive to women.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:07 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The OP is a racist, and a sexist and I can't believe so many women are repsonding to his threads.

Look up his past posts.
Oh, I didn't realize this thread was meant to be inflammatory....
I can see it now.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:51 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote: How did it happen? Who is to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
TV, video games, computer games. Ultimately the parents. I am guilty as well - although my girls are fortunate (right now) in that they have a petite frame.
All this is exacerbated by two generations of parents who are completely neurotic about letting their kids outside or be involved in any activity where those organizing it aren't checked out carefully by the police.

When I was young, we were kicked out in the morning and the only rule was be home for supper. While in elementary school, a friend suggested we climb the nearby mountain to the university and other things up there. 7 miles and 2500 feet. We did it a number of times. There was a 1000 foot cliff on one side and every year, one or two kids went off, but the parents weren't too worried. Perhaps they had us insured! I regularly rode my bike up to 10 miles from home and there were lots of hills.

I saw a show recently where they interviewed a bunch of these neurotic parents. One had electronic monitoring of his kids when they went to the corner. If they went off the agreed on route, an alarm went off and they got a call on their cell.

I came away wanting to smack these morons.

I seldom ever see kids in the parks anymore. This is after spending a fortune to make the swings and other equipment completely safe. When I was a kid, we were lucky if a little sand was dumped there in the spring. I still have all my teeth. Now these same types are agitating to remove the fluoride.

Last edited by NotARedneck; 05-11-2009 at 12:03 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 12:40 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
LA-Long Beach are not in the O.C, those cities are located in LA County. Seeing that you are from the OC you should know that your county is still pretty far from LA.
Of course, I know that. But magazine polls tend to lump LA/LB/OC all in one area. I don't think that people in OC are more fitness conscious than people in LB (which is right next door) or in LA, for that matter. Maybe it has to do with the larger pop in LA County vs OC. OC and LA County are right next door to each other (LB is part of LA County).

Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
When I was young, we were kicked out in the morning and the only rule was be home for supper.
Same for me. Get on the bike and go. I also did a lot of hitch-hiking as a teen, never alone however.

Times change. Just too many creeps out there.

I did a lot of things my girls won't be doing - if I have any say in the matter.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 AM

943 posts, read 2,280,322 times
I believe the growth hormones in our meat, are messing people up big time, in terms of weight and metabolism.

And why does almost every one of my friends and young female relatives including me have thyroid and other problems along that line?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
It doesn't explain fat children. How does a kid get obese? I have no idea. When I was in third grade, there was only one fat kid in the class and her name was Karen. She was very sensitive about her weight, and nobody was allowed to bring it to her attention or she would get upset. All the other kids were spindly little rails running around the playground. Now our playgrounds are awash with sea mammals. How did it happen? Who is to blame?
There are many things to blame.

TV, Video games, computers are a part.

We have lived in cities where the crime was so high that children were no longer allowed outside for 3 recesses each day to run and play. They are kept inside all day. And to makeup for their energy they needed to burn-off they were drugged. [yes we even had foster-children attending such a public school system].

And GMO High-Fructose-Corn-syrup in almost everything, sodas and snacks all have hidden calories in them.

And a growing portion of our diet is ingredients that is not 'food'. Just read the list of ingredients on any box in a grocery store, try to find the 'food' ingredients. Among the mono-this, the try-that, the sodium-whatiz, and the partially saturated poisons, there is little 'food' left in our food.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:15 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
And why does almost every one of my friends and young female relatives including me have thyroid and other problems along that line?
There is only one treatment for thyroid issues [both hyper and hypo] are you taking your Potassium Iodine?

It is the only way to be sure and eliminate the thyroid as a possible source of the problem.

I am taking mine.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness