U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM

433 posts, read 1,123,566 times

Advertisements

My sister's father in law had gallbladder surgery. He was sent home the same day but within a few days his abdomen was distended and he went to the ER. They drained 3 liters of what I believe was bile. He was in the hospital and seemed to be better so they were about to release him. They were waiting for the release papers when he suddenly coded. Fortunately there was a doctor right outside the door and they were able to shock his heart once and he came back right away. They put an external pacemaker on him and put him on a ventilator. Within a few days he had surgery to stop the leak of bile. He had a 40% chance of surviving the surgery and he did survive. Yesterday I heard his liver and kidneys are not functioning properly and he is on dialysis. They did another surgery yesterday to, I think, clean out the abdomen. They put a teach. in him as well.

I don't have all of the info. because things are a little hectic for my sister and her husband.

I do know that he had his first gallbladder attack 2 years ago and has had attacks for those 2 years. His wife and my Dad, who had the surgery with no problem, told him it was no big deal and he needed to get it done. He finally agreed and now is fighting for his life.

Have any of you heard of this? I know knicks can occur but most people don't have this kind of damage.

Are the organs able to recover after something like this?

The doctor sees evidence of a small heart attack in his heart which they believe happened sometime during the 2 years he was having attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,610,518 times
There's a LOT of information missing. Like the patient's age, medical history and medications. It's impossible to determine what really went on. Gallbladder surgery, in general, has a relatively high risk of complications, depending on the type of procedure. Hope he's doing better soon.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM

I don't know if he is on any medications but I know before he went in for surgery he was very healthy and active. He is overweight and he is in his 60s.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM

We are just so afraid he is going to die. And if he lives what will his quality of life be. He went in with no problems other then the gallbladder and now he has been in the hospital for weeks.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
There's a LOT of information missing. Like the patient's age, medical history and medications. It's impossible to determine what really went on. Gallbladder surgery, in general, has a relatively high risk of complications, depending on the type of procedure. Hope he's doing better soon.
I agree, also sometimes if the Pt. has the gallbladder full of stones, it can rupture and release all of the stones, this is extremely dangerous.
This could also happen during surgery if they are not careful. They have to clean everything to make sure they collect all of the stone.
During my Surgery core rotation, I only saw one gallbladder removal, and during surgery the gallbladder broke, at this point the surgen went crazy trying to collect all of the stones. He was without kidding like an hour collecting stones.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM

2,240 posts, read 6,989,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Relatively HIGH risk? I thought is was on the lower side...I am having my removed on Thursday!

Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Relatively HIGH risk? I thought is was on the lower side...I am having my removed on Thursday!

My Dad had his removed a few years ago. He had it done on a Friday and went back to work on Monday. He had no complications and I think this is how it usually is.

My sister's father in law is just one of the rare cases. The bile duct was knicked and they didn't know it until later.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:48 PM

I just read that there are some doctors who will inject dye into the gallbladder so that the dye will go through the bile duct and the doctor won't do a wrong cut.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:51 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,610,518 times
It all depends on the procedure. Laporoscopic procedures are generally, but not always, lower risk. Common bile duct exploration increases risk (these are usually done with open procedures). Also, obesity is a factor that always increases surgical risk.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM

2,484 posts, read 3,636,889 times
I had this surgery and although any surgery there is always high risks I came out just fine twinn you'll be fine. I think situation the OP has must have more to the story, like age, weight and other health issues maybe...besides looking healthy on the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness