Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 AM

433 posts, read 1,763,033 times

Advertisements

Here's my story.

First child was born 12 years ago. While pregnant I rolled over once and felt a horrible "ripping" sensation. I had that throughout the pregnancy. My labor was all back labor and I had back problems for years.

Second pregnancy I had that ripping sensation again.

I think I had it during the third too.

I have looked this up and have found it was probably round ligament pain.

I still have a dull ache on my lower right side. I believe it is ovary pain. I asked a dr. about it after my 3rd was born and she said it could be a hernia or a spastic muscle. That was it.

So...I've had this pain for 13 years now. I feel it here and there and it isn't really painful just an ache.

My sister told me she recently had a ripping sensation in the area of her ovary and she had it checked out and it is a fibroid tumor.

Our mother had a hysterectomy at 35 and our youngest sister just had surgery to remove many fibroids one of which was the size of a baseball. She also had some endrometriosis which the doctor removed.

I have a pap every year and it is always normal. I had a mammogram 2.5 years ago and it was normal. I have taken the pill for 8 years due to elevated androgen levels. I feel it the worst when I am bloated. That happens maybe once a month. I have no other problems but this ache.

Any ideas? Fibroid?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,918,025 times
Could it just be painful ovulation? Is it just on one side or does it alternate?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Just one side and it comes and goes throughout the month. I kind of feel it all of the time but it is just enough of a pain to let me know its there.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,859,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
Here's my story.

First child was born 12 years ago. While pregnant I rolled over once and felt a horrible "ripping" sensation. I had that throughout the pregnancy. My labor was all back labor and I had back problems for years.

I still have a dull ache on my lower right side. I believe it is ovary pain. I asked a dr. about it after my 3rd was born and she said it could be a hernia or a spastic muscle. That was it.

So...I've had this pain for 13 years now. I feel it here and there and it isn't really painful just an ache.

My sister told me she recently had a ripping sensation in the area of her ovary and she had it checked out and it is a fibroid tumor.

Our mother had a hysterectomy at 35 and our youngest sister just had surgery to remove many fibroids one of which was the size of a baseball. She also had some endrometriosis which the doctor removed.

I have a pap every year and it is always normal. I had a mammogram 2.5 years ago and it was normal. I have taken the pill for 8 years due to elevated androgen levels. I feel it the worst when I am bloated. That happens maybe once a month. I have no other problems but this ache.

Any ideas? Fibroid?
Regular pap tests are only going to keep track of what's happening with your cervix. Like a mammogram will only keep track of breast health. It's great that you have these tests regularly but they're not going to pick up other health issues. A bit like saying I have regular MRI's and my brain is healthy but I'm still struggling with this pain in my toe if you catch my drift?

I have aching and pain due to polycystic ovaries at various times. AND when one "breaks" I definitely feel it. Can't say I'd describe it as a "ripping" sensation, though. All that aside you have some very definite family history of other gynaecological problems and I would be asking my doctor to conduct tests to investigate how your health is doing in those areas.

Because I'm a little paranoid about ovarian cancer I have that blood test done fairly regularly, can't remember the name of it. (it's not foolproof and not a definitive screening test but it's all that is available here so I have it in the absence of other options.)

I also have transvaginal ultrasound done from time to time to ascertain what the situation is regarding cysts on my ovaries. They can also do ultrasound for other things.

13 years is an awful long time to tolerate something and not have it thoroughly investigated. I would be hightailing to my doctor and making sure they investigate until they have an answer for you.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 AM

I think that I probably have a fibroid. I think that when I was pregnant I probably was feeling it for the first time but I was also probably feeling round ligament pain. Once the pregnancies were over I just feel the possible fibroid pain. For years I didn't feel it much at all. It has jus been in maybe the last 6 months or so I'm feeling it more often. If it is a fibroid it may be getting bigger. I will definately request and ultrasound.

I guess the doctor will only request the blood screening for ovarian cancer if they suspect something or if I request it? I had a hormone blood test last September.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,859,471 times
Sorry boilrmkr but I'll just post this real quick so you've got it and then I gotta go to bed. This is the test I had and I requested it. For you it sounds like a good idea because it'll cover those other concerns as well.

There is a blood test for a particular protein in the blood - called CA-125 - which is often higher in women with ovarian cancer. But this protein is also elevated in other common gynaecological conditions such as endometriosis or fibroids, so it's not suitable as a screening test.

Ovarian cancer - warning signs often missed - Health & Wellbeing

Old 05-14-2009, 07:43 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,389,878 times
It could be any number of things. They are not going to be able to tell you from a pap smear if you have a fibroid or not, you need a pelvic ultrasound to see. If it is around mid-cycle it could be pain when you ovulate, I had that. It could be a fibroid, maybe a hernia. If you have had any surgeries in that area it could be adhesions.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM

253 posts, read 802,892 times
Default was your doc a man???

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
Here's my story.

Any ideas? Fibroid?
I ask this cuz men docs seem to be clueless and dont care. any doc that said it could be a hernia and didnt check for sure needs to be asked why...especially when you have suffered so long.
while pregnant last time, i had very bad pain, thougt i was losing the baby, they did a utlrasound(pelvic) and found i had numourous fibroids, and that the pain i was feeling was from one bursting. i was told this is normal and they are rarely anything to worry about. I can tell when it happens even now...always same area, some worse then others.
also...it may be due to fibroids...but some months...i cantell when im ovulating...i can feel it, sometimes its not pleasant either.
ive heard they can remove them if they pose a problem, ask your doc....and i mean your NEW doc...cuz i would get a new one(woman this time) and have them do a pelvic ultrasound to see them...and rule out they are nothing to worry about, and what can be done.
i was told they burst more while pregant cuz as baby grows...less room, which causes them to burst.
hope this helps....again....try a new doc, woman preferabably...they dont laugh us off like a man will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness