U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 PM

2,742 posts, read 4,984,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I shouldn't have used 2 sentences.. it should have read..

I would rather see you try acupuncture 1st, also an orthopedic doctor who might send you for tests then PT.

Was trying to suggest the 2 at the same time. Usually orthopedic's have a wait time to get in, so going for an appointment or 2 of acupuncture might help it until they get in to see the ortho.

I'm not big on PT but know people who have benefited.
Most places will not treat someone with PT until they have a script from a Dr with a diagnosis (from what I've seen anyway)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 02:08 PM

13 posts, read 17,768 times
Chiropractic is safe and beneficial for many. There is a reason that their malpractice insurance is very low. In fact, they have the lowest malpractice insurance compared to other first line provider because complications are extremely rare. I have benefited greatly from chiropractic. I no longer suffer from radiating pain in my leg and my severe allergies have improved dramatically. I agree however that there are good chiropractors and bad chiropractors so make sure you visit one that comes recommended.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 AM

618 posts, read 728,327 times
I personally will only visit an upper cervical chiropractor. They only adjust the Atlas which is your Cervical 1 vertebrae. They dont do all of that bending and cracking this way and that way with your head over here and over there. You definitely need to do research on your chiropractor before visiting them because some of them can do more harm then good... its just like a MD, theres good ones and bad ones

Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,632,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1667 View Post
Chiropractic is safe and beneficial for many. There is a reason that their malpractice insurance is very low. In fact, they have the lowest malpractice insurance compared to other first line provider because complications are extremely rare. I have benefited greatly from chiropractic. I no longer suffer from radiating pain in my leg and my severe allergies have improved dramatically. I agree however that there are good chiropractors and bad chiropractors so make sure you visit one that comes recommended.
I would "ditto" this. I had neck/back problems and tried the medical route in which physcial therapy was recommended. It did me no good whatsoever, but chiropractic helped immensely. As above poster said, however, you need to find a well recommended, competent chiropractor.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,932,507 times
Find a good chiropractor. I had sciatica, the MD gave me some pills that didn't work and said if it didn't go away they would do a work up with tests, etc. I like the Dr but went to my Chiropractor and got adjustments, each time I felt less pain. Finally the pain went away, if it comes back I'll go to the chiropractor first.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 AM

5,255 posts, read 11,549,748 times
About 5 months ago I went to a highly recommended, very busy local chiropractor. I have degenerative disc disease (lower neck) and some mid-back problems. He noticed that I also had allergies. Over the course of 6 weeks, he did help my neck and back but he also did something that resulted in a traumatic and expensive experience.

Once while at the end of a visit I told the doctor that other than allergies I was doing well. He took my ear lobes and pulled very very hard (really a hard downward jerk) to open the eustachian tubes - I didn't ask him to do this - he just did it. By the time I walked out to the car a couple of minutes later the right side of my head around the ear and the ear itself was throbbing with pain. Within a few hours I had a migraine headache that caused me several days of severe pain.

I went to the ear doctor who determined there was no damage to my ear and to my family doctor who gave me some medication that did no good. Finally after almost a week I went to the emergency with a severe migraine headache and was hospitalized for 24 hours where I was told that I was having a series of small strokes (chronic) (based on an emergency room doctor's diagnosis of a scan).

I was awake all night believing that I might die or my life would be severely restricted (I am 61 and in good health). The next morning, very early I received an MRI and was told that I showed no signs of stroke and I was released from the hospital. Twenty four hours in the hospital = $19,000 bill and my headaches continued (I cannot take narcotics). I had additional fees to be paid to - separate fees for the doctors who read the scans, visits to various doctors and lots of medication that didn't work....so basically our cost has been around $1200 for all of this plus the chiropractor's bill of course.

My head continued to throb so I went to a neurologist who read my MRI and told me that my brain showed no abnormalities of any kind. He gave me a prescription for a powdered medication (mixed with water) that is the only thing that has helped my headaches - the medicine costs $226 for 7 doses, fortunately we have insurance so we have only paid $21 for each refill. The neuro doctor said that the chiropractor should have never twisted or manipulated my neck, knowing that I had degenerative disc disease. My ear doctor said that the hard jerk on my ear was a "parlor trick" that some chiropractors do and that it has no lasting value and is dangerous.

I contined to have multiple migraine headaches for over 3 months after the hospital - they now occur about once every two to three weeks. If I get too hot, I get a migraine, wear the wrong earrings, I get a migraine.

This has been my experience in going to a chiropractor.

Last edited by Cattknap; 08-02-2012 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness