U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 PM
 
Location: New England
785 posts, read 1,044,201 times
Reputation: 1022
Default Physical Therapist or Chiropractor

When I bend over to brush my teeth, or when my legs are at a 90 degree angle to my torso, I get a real sharp pain going down the front of my quadricep muscle right down to the kneecap.

Last fall it was so bad that I could not sit on the floor in front of the couch with my legs out straight. The pain was awful.

Anybody have any insight on this? And is this something I should see a PT for or a Chiropractor? Never been to a chiropractor, and am a little leary of getting "adjusted".

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2009, 02:56 PM
 
2,742 posts, read 4,828,501 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
When I bend over to brush my teeth, or when my legs are at a 90 degree angle to my torso, I get a real sharp pain going down the front of my quadricep muscle right down to the kneecap.

Last fall it was so bad that I could not sit on the floor in front of the couch with my legs out straight. The pain was awful.

Anybody have any insight on this? And is this something I should see a PT for or a Chiropractor? Never been to a chiropractor, and am a little leary of getting "adjusted".

Thanks for any suggestions.
You should first see a MD to see if you have a herniated disc.
I don't is Sciatica because you said the pain is in the front side of your leg and sciatica is on the back of your leg.
So see your MD, find out what it is then go to a Physical therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 AM
 
1 posts, read 7,800 times
Reputation: 13
first you need to get some tests done and then only the other things can be looked at.

I came across a free report on the net and I really liked it and would like to share with you.
RelieveMyBackPain.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM
 
2,839 posts, read 6,348,397 times
Reputation: 2734
After I was in a car accident, I saw an orthopedic surgeon and had an MRI and xrays to check for whatever damage they were looking for. Then I went to a chiropractor, on the ortho's recommendation. It did a world of good! He gave me some exercises to do at home in addition to the adjustments, so maybe physical therapy would have done just as well. I really liked my chiro, though, and found the adjustments relaxing and beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM
 
2,548 posts, read 3,391,003 times
Reputation: 897
Chiropractor for sure. He can test and xray too. Make sure you get a good one who will not do unnecessary treatment or one who thinks he can cure certain chronic diseases. They are out there! Ask friends for recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 AM
 
Location: NJ
7,106 posts, read 13,163,583 times
Reputation: 3791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
When I bend over to brush my teeth, or when my legs are at a 90 degree angle to my torso, I get a real sharp pain going down the front of my quadricep muscle right down to the kneecap.

Last fall it was so bad that I could not sit on the floor in front of the couch with my legs out straight. The pain was awful.

Anybody have any insight on this? And is this something I should see a PT for or a Chiropractor? Never been to a chiropractor, and am a little leary of getting "adjusted".

Thanks for any suggestions.
What is your age?

Chiropractor - not nuts about them. I know 2 people that had existing back problems they did not know about and the adjustment ruined their life. One has to wear a neck collar, plus her hip was throw out of whack. The other has low back problems and can't walk without a cane now.

There is also a problem with arteries in the neck, if a chiro twists your neck wrong and you have this condition, you could end up with a stroke. If you do a search of this forum with my name, I've posted links to this.

I would rather see you try acupuncture 1st.
Also an orthopedic doctor who might send you for tests then PT.


Dermatomes poster - shows what part of the body is affected by what part of your spine. This is good to print out and bring with you to the appointment. Draw where your pain is on the print out.
more images

spinal nerves
more images

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM
 
2,742 posts, read 4,828,501 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What is your age?

Chiropractor - not nuts about them. I know 2 people that had existing back problems they did not know about and the adjustment ruined their life. One has to wear a neck collar, plus her hip was throw out of whack. The other has low back problems and can't walk without a cane now.

There is also a problem with arteries in the neck, if a chiro twists your neck wrong and you have this condition, you could end up with a stroke. If you do a search of this forum with my name, I've posted links to this.

I would rather see you try acupuncture 1st.
Also an orthopedic doctor who might send you for tests then PT.


Dermatomes poster - shows what part of the body is affected by what part of your spine. This is good to print out and bring with you to the appointment. Draw where your pain is on the print out.
more images

spinal nerves
more images

Good luck.
I agree with you, many pt. get hurt during a visit to a chiropractor.
I personally would never visit one(that is just my opinion).
I trust a lot more physical therapist compared to a chiropractor, like previous mentioned, some chiropractor would say they can cure anything.
But I don't agree that you would do acupuncture first, acupuncture may relieve some pain (temporary) but it would not fix a dislocation(if the patient actually has one). Why not do both(MD and Acu.), if it makes you or the OP feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM
 
1,121 posts, read 2,006,245 times
Reputation: 1047
I agree about the chiropractor. They are not MD's and if you don't get an excellent one, you could get hurt. You can also get hurt if you do not trust them enough and tense up during your adjustments. Go to your physician first and have him recommend what you need. In the meantime, if you can tolerate it, take a couple of aspirin a day. If you have inflammation, it will reduce it.
If your body is out of alignment, you might look into the tilting devices where you lay down and hook your feet under one end and when you put your hands over your head it sort of hangs your body upside down and putlls everything straight. When you lift your arms forward it brings you up again. A lot safer than hanging yourself upsidedown from a pole stretched in a doorway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 11:46 AM
 
2,017 posts, read 5,345,756 times
Reputation: 2743
I would see an MD first. It is my understanding that certain back problems will not show up with an xray. An MRI may be necessary for disc problems etc. (Remember that if you are ever in a car accident.) Since Chiropractor's only take xrays, they could not possibly know the extent of your problem in my opinion. Once you know what's going on, then you can try different remedies.

Personally, I don't care for Chiropractors. I would try physical therapy or acupuncture first.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 AM
 
Location: NJ
7,106 posts, read 13,163,583 times
Reputation: 3791
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I agree with you, many pt. get hurt during a visit to a chiropractor.
I personally would never visit one(that is just my opinion).
I trust a lot more physical therapist compared to a chiropractor, like previous mentioned, some chiropractor would say they can cure anything.
But I don't agree that you would do acupuncture first, acupuncture may relieve some pain (temporary) but it would not fix a dislocation(if the patient actually has one). Why not do both(MD and Acu.), if it makes you or the OP feel better.
I shouldn't have used 2 sentences.. it should have read..

I would rather see you try acupuncture 1st, also an orthopedic doctor who might send you for tests then PT.

Was trying to suggest the 2 at the same time. Usually orthopedic's have a wait time to get in, so going for an appointment or 2 of acupuncture might help it until they get in to see the ortho.

I'm not big on PT but know people who have benefited.
Most places will not treat someone with PT until they have a script from a Dr with a diagnosis (from what I've seen anyway)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top