Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
cjma wrote:
I don't get it, are you talking about changing our health system with your opinion but then we can't question your opinion?
Obviously you don't get it! Slow down and re-read my post CAREFULLY. With the poor reading comprehension skills that you have displayed on this thread, I wonder how you got thru medical school.

In response to your question ( And we take your word for it when you say it is a scam? ), here's what I wrote:

Do your own research and form your own conclusions. I simply shared my opinion.

Nowhere did I say or imply that anyone should take my word for ANYTHING, nor did I say or imply that my opinion should not be questioned. This is another example of your wild mind drawing conclusions out of thin air.

IMO...everything is open to question!
Well said, CosmicWizard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 PM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our medical schools do their students a huge disfavor by transmitting to their students ego-inflating, authoritarian beliefs and attitudes.

I don't know where you get that is what's taught. At our med school (rather prestigious), we were told not to p*ss off the nurses bc they were harder to replace than we were. I think some people with *ss-h*loe personalities tend to be drawn to medicine...not some nice guy goes into medicine and turns evil.
Stan, I'm going to stand my ground on this. I do think medical schools are part of the problem, as well as the pharmaceutical industry. These two are a team.

It may not be in textbooks, and it may not be written on the blackboard, but it is an attitude that is present from day one until graduation. It is everywhere, from inside and outside the schools. It can also perpetrated by staff, because that is what has always been done. You've heard the phrase: "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten." It's time for many things to be done differently, as evidenced by the state of our nation, and even the world.

My generation especially used to hold doctors as higher than God. I had to unlearn that. No one was more surprised than I was to find that what I had learned growing up simply was not a truth. I had to re-learn my role as a patient, what my rights were as a patient, and what doctors could and could not be responsible for. Ditto for pharmaceutical co's....

We do not send doctors unkind wishes, we send them a message: times are changing, we are all having to make huge changes in our lives, and you will definitely be a part of that. Rather than let the world dictate everything to you, decide what your true purpose is as a physician. If it is only to make money, then become a hedgefund entrepreneur, or pursue some other financially aggressive career. If you really want to make a difference in your patients lives and in the world, let go of the money picture, be true to your purpose, and the money will be there, too. And, take some stress management courses, or, heaven forbid, do a little bit of therapy....with a therapist who has more than just a bachelor's degree. It can ground you in your life's true purpose as a physician and rebuild your life in miraculous ways.

Last edited by 'M'; 05-30-2009 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
We do not send doctors unkind wishes, we send them a message: times are changing, we are all having to make huge changes in our lives, and you will definitely be a part of that. Rather than let the world dictate everything to you, decide what your true purpose is as a physician. If it is only to make money, then become a hedgefund entrepreneur, or pursue some other financially aggressive career. If you really want to make a difference in your patients lives and in the world, let go of the money picture, be true to your purpose, and the money will be there, too.

I think that if people wanted that, that is what they have done. We're certainly smart and competitive enough to have done well in those other fields, but we were drawn to medicine bc of the opportunity to help others rather than ourselves. I could have made a lot more money a lot faster had I gone into law or business.

I am sad that the only people you seem to be exposed to is the stereotypical surgeon d*uchebag. But that's so the exception and not the rule.

What really has changed and is awful is the fact that we get nearly NO respect anymore. People order us around, we rarely hear 'thank you' anymore, and people who are rude to service people in general (which I think is just messed up) don't hesitate to bring their bad attitudes to our doors. It's reprehensible.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:38 PM
'M'

Stan, I truly feel badly that your work life the way it is. Been there, done that. I am sure you are a good doctor, right? I don't know where you work, or what speciality you are in, but all I know is that the clinic where I now work, we receive kudos and thank you's all the time. The area where I used to work didn't receive as many thank-you's, that we felt we deserved...hardly any. We weren't sure why that was.

One thing I have noticed is that when I am not as experienced as I would like in what I am doing, and am on a learning curve, I do operate out of negative feelings. I think patients or customers pick up on that. They don't know why, they just know it doesn't feel good to them. When I work on my feelings of unworthiness, poke a little bit of fun at myself, and come from a positive place, and even joke a bit, people change.

It helps to drop any expectations that I have, and just do my very best. People pick up on that and good relationships are born.

This is not personal against you, Stan. It is frustration with the slowness of changes that everyone knows need to be made. It takes a village...

I have already decided what changes I want to make and am working on them. What changes do you see, either with you, or your field, your clinic, your hospital, that you feel would benefit everyone...staff and patients? The next time you have a review with your administrator, CEO, etc make some positive suggestions and see where that takes you. Have an honest, yet positive exchange with your co-workers. See whether they are thinking like you, or have other types of change that they would like to see implemented. It may just be that you can ignite a fire under the admin's and start things rolling.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:40 PM

I like my work. I like most of my patients. This is the ED. A-h*les are expected.

I just have a real problem with anyone who says we're in it for the money or who challenges that we are compensated too much.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:05 PM
'M'

Stan, I've worked in the ED...a difficult job, lots of stress...almost the most stressful. It is hard because, quite frankly, you are dealing with a lot of ETOH/"drunks" to the outside world and drug users/seekers. Those kinds of patients are NOT patients to expect any gratitude from. There are also many ED patients who express gratitude for a job well done. I am not one of those who says docs are compensated too much.

The atomosphere in the ED you've described is how the ED is...it's not a department filled with graciousness, although that element is there at times...it's saving lives...so everything is as you described...people ordering others around, not saying thank you (who has the time to say thank you when a drunk is throwing **** around in his cube or Joe Blow is trying to sneak out before the cops come to pick him up). And, yes, the ED staff can be treated very poorly...patients who are "out of it" don't care if you're a doc, nurse or paramedic, or an elderly woman who should be treated with respect. One day, you will experience it differently. Sorry that this thread has struck a nerve with you. I would probably feel like you do, too. Remember, it isn't personal against you.

Last edited by 'M'; 05-30-2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 05-30-2009, 04:57 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Stan, I've worked in the ED...a difficult job, lots of stress...almost the most stressful. It is hard because, quite frankly, you are dealing with a lot of ETOH/"drunks" to the outside world and drug users/seekers. Those kinds of patients are NOT patients to expect any gratitude from. There are also many ED patients who express gratitude for a job well done. I am not one of those who says docs are compensated too much.

The atomosphere in the ED you've described is how the ED is...it's not a department filled with graciousness, although that element is there at times...it's saving lives...so everything is as you described...people ordering others around, not saying thank you (who has the time to say thank you when a drunk is throwing **** around in his cube or Joe Blow is trying to sneak out before the cops come to pick him up). And, yes, the ED staff can be treated very poorly...patients who are "out of it" don't care if you're a doc, nurse or paramedic, or an elderly woman who should be treated with respect. One day, you will experience it differently. Sorry that this thread has struck a nerve with you. I would probably feel like you do, too. Remember, it isn't personal against you.

Believe me, it's not just the alcoholics and street people who are abusive to medical staff.

I trained in Ivy League medical centers and the Park Avenue matron with shortness of breath and the celebrity with back pain is just as likely to be abusive and nasty to medical staff as the bag lady who was admitted for treatment of her gangrenous feet.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:21 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Believe me, it's not just the alcoholics and street people who are abusive to medical staff.

I trained in Ivy League medical centers and the Park Avenue matron with shortness of breath and the celebrity with back pain is just as likely to be abusive and nasty to medical staff as the bag lady who was admitted for treatment of her gangrenous feet.
Oh very true, I hear about it so much from people in all walks of life and income level.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:29 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I personally don't think MD's have the corner on people not respecting their profession, acting rudely or not saying thank you. This has been the pervasive attitude that has seeped through all sectors imho.

I know a lot of physicians and they are all different. Some are focused on money; some aren't. Some have a god complex, some don't. However, they really aren't any different than the patients that they see. Patients are also money hungry, humble, arrogant and sweet. Some patients don't mind a doctor with no personality as long as the doctor is technically superior and some patients insist on a doctor with social skills and aren't so tuned into their practicing of medicine. It's just that finding the right personalities so that the doctor-patient ratio clicks is sometimes cumbersome.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

Holy cow, those can be the worst. Bc they have read the internet and they come in like it's Burger King or something and they want to order off the testing menu. And they get super testy if you try to discuss things with them.

I love it when my patients try to educate themselves but not when they think they can run the show with their medical degree from The University of Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness