U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 AM

7,527 posts, read 11,386,704 times

Advertisements

cjma79 wrote:
I have 4 white coats, I wear each coat for only 2 days then, my wife cleans them (with bleach).
I tip my hat to you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,042,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
cjma79 wrote:
I have 4 white coats, I wear each coat for only 2 days then, my wife cleans them (with bleach).
I tip my hat to you!
I am a little bit of a freak,
We even have a special place for our work shoes, right next to the door, that way we don't walk inside with our working shoes (we have working shoes, and ever day shoes, we don't mix them.), hospital floor is the worse.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:47 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,144,936 times
There are many doctors...ER doctors in particular...that don't know SQUAT. It's real life experience that sets a medical professional apart from the rest...not where he went to school and for how long. On the flip side, there are many excellent ER docs, but I have seen many terrible ones that I would not trust my mothers life with. IMO...doctors are WAAAAAAY over rated. Many of them have horrible bed time manners, do not LISTEN to their patients which would help with the diagnosis if they just listened, and many of them over medicate. I have seen a shift over the years over how doctors are viewed. Before they were gods, not they are becoming less and less respected. Many of them are in it for one thing.... $$$$. Greed. I see some doctors now as attorneys...just in it for the bucks and don't really care about their client/patient.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:47 PM

2,752 posts, read 3,803,966 times
Smile Doctors: Good and Bad

A very interesting thread!

Fortunately the majority of doctors I've seen had good bed-side manner and didn't pretend their were Gods. However, there have been others that I went to one time and said 'no thanks' as I left their office.

Many times the problem can be that it's just not a good personality fit between a doctor and patient.

About the 'white coats': my primary physician wears casual attire (no white coat). I don't base a doctor's skill/knowledge on whether or not he is wearing a white lab coat. I like his way of listening to what I have to say, and being patient with all of my questions; and he isn't one who likes to dole out medicine unless absolutely necessary. Nor is he an alarmist; he is a realist. And I listen to him and don't try to diagnosis myself (although, like most, I love to look up things on the internet ).

Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,826 times
I agree with sunnydog1, I go to the same doctor every month for over 9 years, (have had several back and knee injuries) He orders 2 MRI's a year. and gives me prescriptions for pain pills, anti inflamatories, nerves, and muscle relaxers. But it's always the same thing no other examinations. And if you have no health insurance then it costs $140 office call, and $130 for the meds.
If I could find a online pharmacy to buy from I'd do it in a heart beat, I wouldn't care where it was at or what country, just as long as the medications where good and they would send them. I know there are kids buying medications off the internet, and that is just absolutly wrong! But what about people like me that have no insurance and a Doctor that just wants the $$$ for the office call and the kick back on the medications?
I guess they are not interested in the cure, the money is in the come back.

Last edited by mothman; 08-04-2009 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: better explaination

Old 08-04-2009, 02:16 AM

11,361 posts, read 8,072,041 times
If my doctor isn't listening to me, I get a new doc.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 AM

7,527 posts, read 11,386,704 times
This sad situation would be far less likely with the proposal I roughtly outlined in post #93

Rx for money woes: Doctors quit medicine

Some physicians, fed up with the costs of their practice, are ready to hang up their stethoscopes and shift careers.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydog1 View Post
Does anyone out there other them me feel like most doctors belittle you when you go to see them. It seems to me everytime I'm at the doctors office he tells (not asks me but tells me) that I need this done or I need that done NOW, and I'm really getting fed up with these people(the doctors) acting like they are some kind of gods. They make me feel like I'm a criminal and its starting to pi$$ me off.
I'm I the only one who feels this way OR is it just me and I should chill out?

Must be Chicago doctors- I just can't stand the attitudes of the ones I've dealt with. Arrogant, know it all's that pry into your personal life just to lecture & stand in judgement of your lifestyle. This just happened twice last week with two different docs; the superiority complex disgusts me.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,215,359 times
I've had mostly positive experiences with my doctors over time. The only thing that annoys me is when an ocassional one will say, "Oh your young and healthy - you shouldn't be worried about ____". Well, you know what, if I weren't having real symptoms I wouldn't be seeing you. So at least hear me out and take me seriously ... and then tell me I am healthy .

Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 166 times
I avoid going to doctors unless it is absolutely necessary and by that I mean life threatening. Electricians, mechanics, etc. don't practice their skill, they get trained and put to use what they have learned. Doctors on the other hand go through their life practicing medicine. The word practicing doesn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling. We seem to think that all doctors have scored top marks all the way through college. You want to hope to God that the surgeon standing over you in an operating theatre was one of those elite when in fact he/she could have barely scraped though with a passing grade. I have met a few truly good doctors, but they are the exception rather than the rule. You spend hours waiting for your 5 minute audience with god and then only to be patronized with a scolding and a prescription. Their answer for everything from heart disease to anal itch. I watched my father-in-law being mis-diagnosed TWICE and finally die of aggressive cancer. A year and a half later my own father would follow the same fate. However, what can you expect with someone practicing. I'm okay when God declares it's time for me to leave this earth, but not when god (doctors) make their half ass guess at it. If your health care system is as slow as what it is here in Canada then you will probably succumb to your health issue long before you get the coveted CT or MRI scan performed anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness