U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2009, 05:47 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,034,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydog1 View Post
Does anyone out there other them me feel like most doctors belittle you when you go to see them. It seems to me everytime I'm at the doctors office he tells (not asks me but tells me) that I need this done or I need that done NOW, and I'm really getting fed up with these people(the doctors) acting like they are some kind of gods. They make me feel like I'm a criminal and its starting to pi$$ me off.
I'm I the only one who feels this way OR is it just me and I should chill out?
Being in the Medical field I can personally tell you that MOST DOCTORS do have a stick up their anus.....They have been in school most of their lives so some of them are very WEIRD LIKE, NOT VERY FRIENDLY or simply don't have enough hours in their day for anyone INCLUDING THEIR VERY OWN PATIENT'S....who are the one's that give them their salary mind you.

Try another doctor who is a little bit NICER AND EASY TO TALK TO, there still some left out there, I have met a couple. Good Luck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 PM

413 posts, read 875,005 times
I went to urgent care because I was doubled over with stomach pain. The doctor thought I had a bad stomach virus so he told me to buy some over the counter upset stomach medicine. I told him that I had pepto bismol at home and would that work. He got mad and told me is your name on that medical degree and are you wearing a white lab coat? When I said no, he said than do as I say. And if the stomach problem doesn't clear up come back to see me. I have never went back.

On the other hand, I have had really nice ones but you have to wade through a lot of bad ones to find the one jewel.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:36 PM

2,742 posts, read 4,986,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
As an NP with 12 years of experience (and over 25 as an RN prior to this), I can assure you that NPs have quite a bit of autonomy in most states. I am originally from RI where NPs CAN and DO have solo practices - no supervising MD but, rather, a "collaborating" physician to review a specified number of charts with on a monthly basis.
So you don't think that a physician coming and looking at your charts is not supervision?

Quote:
I have always had prescriptive privileges and am able to prescribe schedule II-IV narcotics in addition to all of the usual medications. I can also examine/assess, diagnose, order necessary laboratory/radiology studies, interpret the data and formulate an appropriate plan of care. I am not a physician "wannabe" - just a good nurse practitioner.
How we know you are not a nurse practitioner wannabe?

Quote:
I've worked with great NPs and those that have been suboptimal....just I have worked with both great and extremely inept physicians.
I am sure there is plenty of inept physician (actually one of my residents is probably going to be one.)

Old 05-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
I went to urgent care because I was doubled over with stomach pain. The doctor thought I had a bad stomach virus so he told me to buy some over the counter upset stomach medicine. I told him that I had pepto bismol at home and would that work. He got mad and told me is your name on that medical degree and are you wearing a white lab coat? When I said no, he said than do as I say. And if the stomach problem doesn't clear up come back to see me. I have never went back.

On the other hand, I have had really nice ones but you have to wade through a lot of bad ones to find the one jewel.
Well that was wrong(not your part).

Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 PM

3,286 posts, read 6,245,499 times
[quote=cjma79;9011836]So you don't think that a physician coming and looking at your charts is not supervision?
If you review the state requirements, you will see that RI requires collaboration...not supervision. The NPs in solo practice, practice autonomously and the chart review is for quality assurance purposes.

I have never had the desire to be physician. If I did, I would have gone to medical school. I certainly could have - graduated from a top school with a 4.0 GPA. The specifics to the NP role I've listed are just that. Just because I can see patients, work them up, diagnose, prescribe and plan does not make me a physician wannabe, these specifics are no longer unique to physicians. I provide quality care within my scope of practice.

I am sure there is plenty of inept physician (actually one of my residents is probably going to be one.)[/quote]
Agreed.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 PM

[quote=ljd1010;9014163]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
So you don't think that a physician coming and looking at your charts is not supervision?
If you review the state requirements, you will see that RI requires collaboration...not supervision. The NPs in solo practice, practice autonomously and the chart review is for quality assurance purposes.
Do you know exactly what that means? If a doctor is looking at my charts to find errors or "quality assurance" purposes, I would considered that supervision.

Quote:
I have never had the desire to be physician. If I did, I would have gone to medical school. I certainly could have - graduated from a top school with a 4.0 GPA. The specifics to the NP role I've listed are just that. Just because I can see patients, work them up, diagnose, prescribe and plan does not make me a physician wannabe, these specifics are no longer unique to physicians. I provide quality care within my scope of practice.
I do we know you are not a nurse practitioner wannabe??
I graduated with 3.75
So if am a MD wannabe you are a NP wannabe right?

Quote:
I am sure there is plenty of inept physician (actually one of my residents is probably going to be one.)
Agreed.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 AM

530 posts, read 394,451 times
There are good and bad people in every profession ( remember an extemely horrible second grade teacher my daughter had). I am a ACNP and I have had the experience to work with many md's both good and bad. Maybe you should try a nurse practitioner. The best advice i can give you is never just take a dr's word for it, be knowledgable about your own health. Study medicine if it is prescribed to you, find out about health conditions that effect you and ask questions. I alway tell my patients to make a list so you don't forget when you get there. I can't speak for everyone, but there are some good dr's and medical professionals out there, you can always find the right one for you.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 AM

2,093 posts, read 3,084,736 times
Of course they feel superior. They belong to the most powerful union on earth, the AMA. They are making massive incomes despite the US being in the poorest state of health in its history. They treat patient care like universities treat the teaching of students--with disdain.

They are the most arrogant with the most vulnerable, like most cowards.

And just when you are about to throw in the towel on this lot, there appears the angel or the kindly gentleman, just as we see in universities today. These guys are treated like crap in the system and no one, despite complaints into the high heavens, will turn action into words and pay/treat them what they are worth. Instead, we go on pretending while wanting something for nothing and take no action to bust this union. In turn, we receive poor care but pay through the nose.

Is it any wonder that medical tourism to places like Singapore, South Korea and Canada are becoming increasingly popular? Wake up America!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:35 AM

1,170 posts, read 2,386,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Of course they feel superior. They belong to the most powerful union on earth, the AMA. They are making massive incomes despite the US being in the poorest state of health in its history. They treat patient care like universities treat the teaching of students--with disdain.

They are the most arrogant with the most vulnerable, like most cowards.

And just when you are about to throw in the towel on this lot, there appears the angel or the kindly gentleman, just as we see in universities today. These guys are treated like crap in the system and no one, despite complaints into the high heavens, will turn action into words and pay/treat them what they are worth. Instead, we go on pretending while wanting something for nothing and take no action to bust this union. In turn, we receive poor care but pay through the nose.

Is it any wonder that medical tourism to places like Singapore, South Korea and Canada are becoming increasingly popular? Wake up America!
Uh what? The AMA has very little political clout. Hence, the stranglehold on healthcare by the Insurance lobby and Big Pharma. Insurance companies with all their red tape have taken the fun out of doctoring, and the income, hence they work more and more hours just to maintain the same income they did in the past. And finally, only 30-40% of practicing physicians are a part of the AMA.

And there is no medical tourism to Canada. Canada outlaws private practice. And if you look at the wealthy from other countries, they are coming here to get treated.

And it is there fault that the US is so obese? I think not. Despite being so unhealthy, medicine has increased life expentancy and quality to life to the highest age ever. Get your facts straight before you try to slander a profession and the people who took great sacrifice to learn the art of medicine. Like some balanced posters have said, there are crappy people in every profession. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited by vdy1985; 05-28-2009 at 01:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,529,872 times
I've got a revelation for all of you: MOST US physicians, especially the younger ones, do NOT belong to the AMA. Most of us have very little respect for the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness