U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 11:07 AM

142 posts, read 858,624 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had this done? My 9 yr. old has 1 tooth where the gum has receded. I was referred to a periodontist who said they can graft some gum from the roof of her mouth and put it on that tooth. It sounds very painful. My husband's boss just had it done and said it was horrible. I was wondering if anyone has a child that has had this procedure and how it went. How was the recovery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 PM

914 posts, read 3,809,144 times
My boyfriend had this exact thing done when he was 19 (so not quite so young, but closer ). He describes it as "not terribly enjoyable but it did what it needed to do". The procedure itself was quick and easy, but he says it took a long time for the roof of his mouth to heal (about a month) and he had issues eating during that time: the spot on the roof of his mouth was covered by cement while it healed, but the cement would sometimes shift, and if a tiny piece of food got lodged in there it was very painful.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 PM

22,695 posts, read 21,741,083 times
I had that done and it didn't hurt at all. Seriously, and I'm afraid of everything - I have anesthesia to have my teeth cleaned because of sensitivity and general fear. The area of the grafts was sort of numb for a few days - maybe longer - following the procedure (slight interruption in the nerve endings?) and then they felt sort of itchy, like something that was healing. I was told not to eat or drink anything very hot or cold for a while or anything that was very crunchy so that nothing bumped into the graft.

Following the procedure, I wore a palate cover, sort of like a retainer that you'd wear after having braces removed. This kept the wound covered and I was able to eat fairly normally in just a couple of days and never had problems. Nothing could bump the roof of my mouth to cause any pain. I think that is the way to go.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:02 AM

142 posts, read 858,624 times
Thanks, I feel better now. My daughter would have that retainier as well. The periodontist said he recommends them for kids. I am thinking maybe my husband;s boss got infected or something. He says he has a high tolerance for pain, and that it was just extremely painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness