U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 05:16 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,650,017 times

Advertisements

Yes, look for another job! Don't assume that you are less hireable because of your age, and don't let it stop you from trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
jco

2,120 posts, read 5,959,066 times
Quote:
I had acid reflux so bad, Monday through Friday. I finally made up my mind to do something about it.
Do you think your acid reflux was stress induced?

Putty- I left a job that, during my pregnancy, caused me complications from all of the stress. When I went back to work I didn't settle for second best, and now I work at a place I LOVE. It makes all the difference in the world.

I have realized that I have a lot to work on when it comes to working with others. A book I highly recommend is 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by ?Stephen? Covey.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:07 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,931,431 times
Putty, you sound quite depressed. I would strongly encourage you to consider counseling to help you with these issues. You mentioned your advanced age...if a different job is not an option then seriously consider finding a qualified counselor that you can talk to regarding work issues. They could really be a source of help and relief.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,850,849 times
I agree with the others that it is time to look for a new job. Sometimes you just can't fix bad attitudes of others, especially if they happen to be your boss. If you say nothing, then the bad situation will continue. If you confront them, the situation may improve...or it may get worse; so it's a gamble.
I'm in a situation where I have TWO bosses, and I have to do whatever either says. (you have THREE? OMG!) Sometimes their demands contradict each other. One boss is reasonable and ok to work for. The other is VERY unreasonable and demanding, often insisting projects be completed by deadlines that cannot possibly be met. Furthermore, the workload is about right for THREE persons, not one. (I am the only one doing the work at present). I have asked the bosses to hire another, and they said they would, but now it is 8 months later and nothing has happened. I would quit and go elsewhere, but there is NO job anywhere else in the state that pays this well, and I am going to retire in 3 years. So, bad as things are, I am going to try to stick it out to the end, then retire and forget about this mess. I mention all this to say "Your not alone"...there's thousands of us in the same boat. If you can do it, I'd leave...

Bud

Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,067,768 times
My boss put in for his retirement. They were considering me for the job, but I felt pretty ambivalent. My current position is shop foreman, and I write the service contracts and quotes for one side of the house. The other side is generators and electrical. THAT scared me and I begged off. My job is stressful enough. 2 of the project managers hate each other, and when we have major projects on the floor, I have to satisfy both of them, and keep my crew from rebelling.

Bottom line, stress seems to go with most jobs and sometimes I think I'd be better off working at McDonalds asking if you want fries with that.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:10 AM

1,075 posts, read 3,245,716 times
As many are i've been stuck in that boat, too many chiefs and not enough indians, three idiots i like to call them telling you three different things to do none the same, then they each take turns coming at you asking why your doing this or that, then you say so & so told me too they go nope you do what i tell you not them.

From reading past posts it seems your wanting to go to ky possibly, retire early possibly, work part time but insurance is an issue, you have roughly around 15 years till medicare kicks in so you'll need something in place, try to make a few contacts in the ky area beat around the bushes & see what pops out, check out your firms competitors, sometimes it's best to fall back on the old saying of how do you eat an elephant, one peice at a time, if you quit then you have nothing to fall back on but savings, some employers like to play the game of make it miserable so one quits to avoid unemployment issues, if worse came to worse i would find the head honcho over the three stooges & confront him off duty, if it reaches that point then you really have nothing to loose but they will definatly keep pushing things off on you unless something is done, years of service/quarters you may have enough to tide you over in unemployment till something pops up worse case scenerio.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:16 AM

257 posts, read 995,671 times
I am going to try and transfer to either Ky or Tn when I figure out where it is I want to relocate too........This way I will have a job when I get there, and insurance. I will look for something else in the new state, this gives me more time.......Hopefully the management won't be anything like what I got now! Thank you everyone for your thoughts, and advice!

Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 AM

942 posts, read 2,368,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
That was a nice story- about you and your husband.

Now- the 2nd part- about the office environment-lol. I can so relate. Back-stabbing and hostile work environment- S Florida is so abundant with that!.

sunny
Yes sunny it is the norm here in S. FLorida unfortunately. I had jr & sr accountants in my dept. going to the president of the company kissing a$$ and tateling on little things about the dept. just to get brownie points. In the end they had no idea that he would just laugh at them because he saw them inferior. I actually would fight for my dept. trying to get more benefits, paid vacations, etc.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 PM

322 posts, read 1,134,988 times
Default Sick + Work = Time for a NEW experience!

Life's too short to be spending your days tip-toeing around people, especially if you're physically sick doing it! You have ONE life! Option: find another job THEN give notice. Just don't tell any potential new employers you have a problem with management. Tell them you're ready for a change, want more out of life, etc... It REALLY isn't worth your physical health to continue this charrade with your current employer. Once you find something you actually enjoy doing, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I was in a situation where I got physically sick (throwing up all the time) when I even thought about work. I was a Paramedic for 6 years when I realized I had just burned out. Couldn't handle the job anymore. Every child became one of my own children, every teenager became one of my siblings, everyone just became someone. It was time to move on. And I tell ya, it was MORE than worth it!! I should've done it sooner!
If money is not an issue, take a class and learn something new then go from there. Apply for a simpler job. If you love what you do now, then find something similar somewhere else. Again, you have one life. Make the most of it. It's short enough as it is so make the best of it!!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,467,222 times
Some great advice from some great folk!
You should not have to put up with it for a moment longer. It's really not worth making yourself physically and mentally sick. I've been in the same boat and I know it's not much fun.
Don't let your age stop you from moving forward and landing a job that you love, deserve and with people who respect you. Take Momark's advice and get that resume out there.
I feel 100 and 10 % better since leaving my job this year. My former supervisor has since had to hire two people to do my job. They are less qualified than I, by all accounts don't have high work ethics ... and she has to pay them more money to boot! It's kind of sweet justice for me after putting up with some amazing BS from her. I am now moving on and up and love it!

Good luck with your brighter future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness