Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 14,939 times

Advertisements

I've a lower left abdominal ache for abt 4 mths, on and off. I'm male, btw.

Initially, I had dengue fever early this year, and shortly after that this ache came about. It's not really a sharp pain, but just a discomfort in that area, as if there is something inside. It's also intermittent and sometimes I noticed it and sometimes I don't.

I've seen a doctor who told me it's probably related to some transcient IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) that I had after the dengue fever. I took some antibiotics and some medicine like Smecta that seemed to reduce the ache for a while, and then it came back again.

I'm not sure what to make of this, and whether this is cause for alarm. I was considering colonoscopy to check this. Does anyone have any advise or similar cases?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,560,065 times
Lower left abdominal pain can be an indicator of diverticulitis--little out-pouchings in the colon that can trap food and cause infections.....an indicator is if the pain gets sharper after eating hard-to-digest things like popcorn...why not do the colonoscopy to determine what's going on?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,011,052 times
Do you have any distension in the area that changes when you change positions (happens more when you stand up usually)? Just a thought, but if you have any of that it might be a herniation of the intestines through the lining....the fever is a bit inconsistent, but it's not unheard of. An Ultrasound is cheaper, quicker, and less unconformable then a colonoscopy as well (might be able to check for other things as well).

Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM

804 posts, read 1,957,110 times
You may want to try probiotics, such as acidophilus.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 PM

305 posts, read 1,230,075 times
you need to pooop

Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,281,974 times
I too was going to say diverticulitis (sp?) I have had a sigmoidoscopy and two colonoscopies and they really are no big deal...Turns out I had a pre cancer polyp which they removed...I am 32. I will get one done every 3 years. Doesn't hurt to have it checked out.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,939 times
Thank you all for the replies. I did a colonoscopy and gastroscopy, and nothing abnormal was found. I don't know whether to be relieved or to go for more tests. After the colonoscopy/gastroscopy, I had more severe discomforts for a few days... but nothing more so that before.

Would an ultrasound be able to check for more things that wasn't covered by the colonoscopy and gastroscopy?

Erm... and yes, I did poop. Regularly.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,198,791 times
diverticulitis more than likely. NO POPCORN, NO HARD CHEESE. Drink plenty of water.
Follow a strict diet. Cook your vegetables. Eating fruit..if it has a skin on it..best to peel off skin. Eating oatmeal is good. NO FRIED FOODS!!!. Do not eat allot of breads, cakes, pies.

Google "diverticulits diet"

Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,617,550 times
A colonoscopy would have shown if you had Diverticulitis. My guess is that this pain may be a residual from the Dengue Fever. If there are no other symptoms and it is more of an ache than pain, I would give it a little more time. But I really don't know anything about Dengue Fever. But I do know about Diverticulitis because I have it. And I can tell you the stomach can take awhile to heal.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
diverticulitis more than likely. NO POPCORN, NO HARD CHEESE. Drink plenty of water.
Follow a strict diet. Cook your vegetables. Eating fruit..if it has a skin on it..best to peel off skin. Eating oatmeal is good. NO FRIED FOODS!!!. Do not eat allot of breads, cakes, pies.

Google "diverticulits diet"
The best thing is to stay STAY AWAY from all Gluten foods and dairy for a while. That means no cheese, milk, ice cream, wheat, rye, oats, or egg whites for a few months. Eat lots of green veggies or at least get a juicer and juice them. For fruits eat only berries and mellons and green apples. These are the healthiest and most cleansing.

If you think it is a cyst or a tumor there are things you can take to reduce and eliminate the growth. For help with this send me a private message and I'll send you contact info for my naturopathic doctor who does phone appointments who has been curing so called "incurable" diseases for 30 years with natural medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness