U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 PM

4 posts, read 8,446 times

Advertisements

Hello, Everytime I get sick ( I have COPD) and have to take antibiotics, I get Thrush....( aka Yeast), ( white bumps in my mouth, throat) and I'm sure other problems I am unaware of... Any advise? I am taking so many meds now one less would be wonderfull! Thank You, D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 PM

3,564 posts, read 9,412,410 times
I am not sure what your meds are, but be sure to rinse your mouth well after using your steroid inhaler. What does your healthcare provider suggest you do?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 PM

3,861 posts, read 5,411,817 times
What helped me was taking a good strength pro-biotic with acidophalous with bifudus (not sure of the spelling) which helped put the balance of good bacteria back into my system...I now take this every time I have to take an antibiotic to keep from getting the side effects of an upset gut or yes, oral thrush, which is really nasty and painful.

Ask your pharmacist or buy at a health food store. The best ones have active cultures and are refrigerated.

Hope you're feeling dandy soon.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,446 times
He gave me Fluconazole Tabs to take for 10 days...and I will, I just hate the effects, between the syeriods I have to take at differant times and this( more offten than not it seems now) , My hair stays looking awfull...thin on one side and fuller on the other( won't hold curl, I'm just feeling sorry for myself today I guess....it could be much worse!
Couldn't sleep and was reading the forum and asked the question....Thank you! .. for the advise on inhaler, I do rinse.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 PM

3,861 posts, read 5,411,817 times
Here's what Dr. Weil recommends, from his web site:

"What are the therapies Dr. Weil recommends?

In addition to oral or topical antifungal treatments, other natural therapeutic options include taking a proven probiotic product (such as Lactobacillus GG) to help restore normal gut flora, cutting back on refined sugars, avoiding dairy products, and eating one clove of garlic per day, preferably raw. In addition, take probiotics whenever you are taking antibiotics. An herb that may help is thyme, which is approved in Europe for use in upper respiratory infections and is effective against oral thrush."

Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,478,942 times
I believe there still is a "swish and swallow' that you may ask the pharmacist about or call your
healthcare practitioner and he can call you in a bottle for the oral thrush this is not only as a result of using combivent MDI's and oral corticosteroids alone you can also get this from a
condition called pernicious anemia (B vitamin deficiency) beri beri, any way all it should take is a phone call and they can call you in something that should make your mouth feel better soon. and yes there is Diflucan one time pill
I hope you get some quick relief from this swish and swallow that's not the name but they will know what it is if you say that.
God Bless You

Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 PM

2,973 posts, read 4,540,300 times
You can do a google search to look up special diets to detox the yeast out of your body. You also want to avoid acidic foods (meat, "white" foods, most fruit, red wine, etc.) and get your body as akaline as possible.

Here's the first one I found just to get your started:

http://www.theyeastdiet.com/

Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM

2,839 posts, read 6,555,714 times
My daughter and I passed thrush back and forth for months when I was nursing her... what ended up finally helping was to reduce carbs in my diet, and to use Gentian Violet (only a couple of drops swabbed in the mouth, never taken and swallowed!) as well as Grapefruit Seed Extract. The combination finally cleared it up out of both of our systems. I believe there are some drug interactions with the Grapefruit Seed Extract, though, so don't take it without talking to someone knowledgable (and chances are, your regular doctor is not going to be knowledgable about it... a naturopath or someone along those lines can give you better information than "don't take alternative remedies." )

Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 PM

2,575 posts, read 6,280,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
My daughter and I passed thrush back and forth for months when I was nursing her... what ended up finally helping was to reduce carbs in my diet, and to use Gentian Violet (only a couple of drops swabbed in the mouth, never taken and swallowed!) as well as Grapefruit Seed Extract. The combination finally cleared it up out of both of our systems. I believe there are some drug interactions with the Grapefruit Seed Extract, though, so don't take it without talking to someone knowledgable (and chances are, your regular doctor is not going to be knowledgable about it... a naturopath or someone along those lines can give you better information than "don't take alternative remedies." )
Right...and the naturopath is going to be really well versed in potential drug interactions along the lines of "don't take prescription medications"

Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,361,113 times
Uh, yeah, that' part of what makes for a good naturopath, one that knows drug-herb interactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness