U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 18,886 times
Default For the guys...Electric Shaver or "Traditional" Wet Shaving?

Which do you guys think is better in terms of leaving the least amount of razor burn? (for men's shaving)

1. Shaving w/ an electric shaver.

2. Shaving the "old fashioned" way, w/ a shaving brush, lather, safety razor and a real razor blade.

3. Shaving with one of the 5 blade disposable razors and shaving cream/gel in a can.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 06-01-2009 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Removed images *hotlinked* from other websites/copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:24 AM

8,777 posts, read 15,500,497 times
Disposable razor for me. I wish I could use an electric razor, but the "whiskers" around my adam's apple lay down and go different directions and the electric razor just doesn't work for that.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,166,782 times
Wet shaving with a straight razor. Soap puck, boar's hair brush, warm mug of water, leather strap to strop the blade before shaving. The works. Safety razor... pfft, lol.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 PM

3,141 posts, read 4,797,603 times
I'm 22, been shaving since I was 18 or so... always with disposable blades against the grain. For a long time I always got razor burn at the crease on my neck, recently that has not been happening as I believe my skin is toughening up a little. I like the disposables because I can cut deep enough where the shaved area is COMPLETELY smooth... not something you can do with electric razor.

I really want to get a straight razor kit and I plan to... I figure if professional barbers use them, they must be the best tool for the job.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,166,782 times
It is definitely a skill you have to work on. Not like a disposable or cartridge razor where you can pretty much do anything without hurting yourself. It is well worth it though.

The soaps and creams are a hell of a lot better for you than the canned stuff. What you can do right away is start using that. Pretty cheap to switch over and it lasts a lot longer than a can will if used right.

As for straight razor shaving or DE shaving it really is a whole different world. It is more an experience than a chore if you know what I mean. I'm by no means a pro as I've only been doing it a few months but I will never go back.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 PM

746 posts, read 2,218,284 times
I've tried all three methods and use a cartridge and good quality canned shaving foam. I half fill the basin with very warm water and find a good soak with it before proceeding really makes it smoother and lessens the chance of nicking myself.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM

785 posts, read 1,054,855 times
I personally do not like the feel of a close shave. I use the mustache trimmer side of an electric shaver. Gives me a 5 o'clock shadow all the time.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
ino

681 posts, read 1,290,373 times
Although I use those plasic disposable things for speed and convenience, without a doubt the straight or 'cut throat' razor shave I had many years ago from the old grandfather was the best, closest and smoothest shave I have ever had, no question for me about that. I shave while having a shower using just plain soap, kills two birds with one stone that way.

With 'imperfections' one tends to get on the skin as one ages it would probably be a bit risky using a cut throat razor now, may whip the tops off those little 'imperfections' <grin>.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:06 AM

41,246 posts, read 43,989,368 times
Never could get use to a electric oir get a close enough sayhve personally. I use can cream and tubo razor as the throwaways dul too quickly and are not as sahrp to start with.If i wasn't afraid of cutting my neck 'I'd use a stright razor but i'm dangerous enough with a safety razor.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,860,178 times
I tried an electric shaver years ago and always got razor burn and little red bumps all over my face and throat area. I used it for a couple months thinking my skin would get used to it or my technique would get better and I wouldn't have a problem. Never happened.
For years I have used the multi blade cartridges. I do take a washrag and soak it in hot water and hold against my face untill it starts cooling off. Then the shaving cream and shave.
The added hot wet washrag thing seems to improve the process quite a bit. I know that it gives me more shaves from each cartridge. Guess it softens up the whiskers more and the blades stay sharp longer.
I hate to think what I might look like if I tried using a straight razor. (If I even survived) I had an Uncle who shaved with mug, hot soap lather, strop, straight razor all his life. But he was a barber and knew what he was doing. I remember the warm lather going on my neck and sideburns and stropping the razor before he trimmed me up after he gave me a haircut. That warm lather felt good. He used hot water to wet the brush to apply the lather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness